Polk SDA 1C's What to upgrade.

2»

Comments

• Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    What is the thread size of the hurricane nuts and spikes for the 1C?

Try a search on the forum not much help too many hits and a lot of dead links to past Polk info.

Thanks
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    8-32
    1C's didn't come with threaded inserts, so you'll need to install them. SDA's that did use 1/4 - 20.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Did you order your RD0194's from Polk or Midwest?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Irrenhaus

Midwest.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Irrenhaus
    F1nut wrote: »
    8-32
    1C's didn't come with threaded inserts, so you'll need to install them. SDA's that did use 1/4 - 20.

Thanks
  • Irrenhaus
    I am thinking of ordering a set of Adona spikes 1/4-20 set.
    But will this work to place the SDA`s?

03rrbv6eqs49.jpg

Cheers
  • 5s77zmx6fgg4.jpg
    n0je7sbh9b04.jpg

Quartz slabs with adjustable spikes rock solid under my 1Cs
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited June 2019
    Irrenhaus wrote: »

Midwest.
    For the record, I'm on hold with Polk customer service right now. Just ordered 4 RD0-198 tweeters @ $205.20 (Edit: got the confirmation e-mail, they really are "ordered".)

I asked the guy if they have RD0-194 tweeters in-stock...he says "yes".

Maybe this is a computer-inventory glitch...but the guy said they're listed in his computer as "active" or "available".

I've seen some recent threads about RD0-194s not working properly.
    I've been reluctant to order either the '194 or '198 because of the Chinese origin...but...if these things are "going away", NOW is the time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    I ordered 8 RD-0198's they work fine no problems.

I will confirm that Polk CS actually told me when inventory is gone they are gone. Polk CS has been fighting with the powers that be to continue supporting legacy products yet sound united does not want to support ANY product for more than 3-5 years past end of production. At the time Polk had about 400 198's in stock according to inventory. The 194 was a lot lower at that time.

Will this change as to support ... well anything is possible but I won't hold my breath.
  • Irrenhaus
    Hi,

Will 16AWG cable work for making a new interconnect cable or 14AWG or larger will be better?

I have a good amount of Audioquest 16AWG speaker cable.

Thanks
  • Schurkey
    The "easy" answer is to use the same speaker cable as from the amp to the speaker cabinets.

I think the OEM SDA interconnect was 18-gauge, so 16 gauge would be fine. The SDA interconnect is carrying only a "partial load" compared to the regular speaker cables--reduced volume, and the 1C also have reduced frequency range on the SDA interconnect as well.
  • Irrenhaus
    5s77zmx6fgg4.jpg
    n0je7sbh9b04.jpg

Nice.
  • Irrenhaus
    5s77zmx6fgg4.jpg
    n0je7sbh9b04.jpg

Nice.

Do the SDA still have the small original feet at the bottom?
  • Irrenhaus yes! What makes this work well is I can scoot the speakers off of the risers and not worry about damaging anything with the spikes as they are under the slabs. Makes my life a little easier. Thanks for asking
    Randy
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Schurkey wrote: »

Midwest.
    For the record, I'm on hold with Polk customer service right now. Just ordered 4 RD0-198 tweeters @ $205.20 (Edit: got the confirmation e-mail, they really are "ordered".)

I asked the guy if they have RD0-194 tweeters in-stock...he says "yes".

Maybe this is a computer-inventory glitch...but the guy said they're listed in his computer as "active" or "available".

I've seen some recent threads about RD0-194s not working properly.
    I've been reluctant to order either the '194 or '198 because of the Chinese origin...but...if these things are "going away", NOW is the time.

Schurkey, Thanks for posting tweeter info.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Irrenhaus
    Will this work to use on the drivers?

Planning to do the work this weekend.

Parts Express Speaker Gasketing Tape 1/8" x 3/8" x 50 ft. Roll

rhv9q9dmmm4s.png

n6u4zv0tf7xq.png

Cheers
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Yes, good choice.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Irrenhaus
    Okay so finally decided to start. Last item comming are the spikes.

z487y0en6emd.jpg

Cheers
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So what did you decide to do upgrade wise so far? Did you get on the dreadnought group buy? I don't remember. If you did make sure you upgrade your binding posts and update the pin blade setup to speakon terminals.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Irrenhaus
    edited July 2019
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So what did you decide to do upgrade wise so far? Did you get on the dreadnought group buy? I don't remember. If you did make sure you upgrade your binding posts and update the pin blade setup to speakon terminals.

No dreadnought here.
    Will upgrade crossovers Gimpod boards
    RD0-194
    Yes new Binding posts.
    Speakon terminals and cable.
    Dynamat.
    Hurricane nuts.
    Spikes
    Seal any leaks if found.
    Will take care of the fabric at another time.

Cheers
  • audioluvr
    That's going to make a great improvement! You should have @westmassguy tune you up some Erse sub base inductors if possible. Love mine!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Irrenhaus
    edited July 2019
    That's going to make a great improvement! You should have @westmassguy tune you up some Erse sub base inductors if possible. Love mine!

Sorry. What are they? The Erse. Will they be used instead of spikes?

Ohhh damm inductors yes.....lol
    Google is good a friend.

Cheers
  • Schurkey
    edited July 2019

Sorry. What are they? The Erse. Will they be used instead of spikes?
    "erse" is a brand-name of speaker crossover parts--capacitors, resistors, and inductors. The sub-bass inductors are also called SDA inductors. They're bigass inductors in the SDA circuit.

Spikes and inductors are both ways to improve bass.

http://www.erseaudio.com/

• audioluvr
    Yes, they are the dimensional inductors (Big coils of copper attached to your crossovers). lowers your speakers to 4 ohm though but as said they help the speakers dig deeper.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Irrenhaus
    So now I have been instructed to work from home and no travel in the near future. To add to that the Bay Area is on shelter in place till April 7th. I guess now I have the time to finally finish with the upgrade of the 1C's.

Is still cold here, but I will fired up the smoker this week for some good meat.

Cheers and be safe stay home if you don't need to be out.