Joule LA-100 has landed in Verb's house!

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
Well, I must admit. I'm a little saddened as I know @indyhawg fretted over selling this little gem. Don't worry Jeff, it's found a loving home, and I'll treat her with the utmost respect and admiration!

Wow! A Joule at Verb's house. I really can't believe it! Many folks have described this as an endgame piece, and certainly from what I've read, here and other places, one of the best pre-amps out there!

So yes, I'm very excited. To get this baby hooked up and take her for a spin!

In the meantime, I'm gonna just gaze at the exquisiteness of it's simple and elegant styling, hefty build (she's heavy) and I must say, minty condition! That alone tells me that her previous owners have also lovingly cared for it.

And quite the provenance! From @tonyb , most recently @indyhawg and now me!

She arrived today, well packaged, and unharmed. All I can say for now is thanks Jeff, and Tony, for allowing me to share in this highly acclaimed piece! :smile:

aw7crg6lakqz.png

Documentation included!
hamx73qygrem.png

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Glad to see it arrived okay. Enjoy it, my friend.
  • verb
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Glad to see it arrived okay. Enjoy it, my friend.

Thank you Jeff! I know you went out of your way to ensure it was well packaged! Well done sir!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Enough with being an audiowhore and get back to work on my C8... :p

Congrats.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    Enough with being an audiowhore and get back to work on my C8... :p

Congrats.

Patience grasshopper! :smile:
  • indyhawg
    C8.....hook me up with a discount bro!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Dave is living proof that one can never have too many tube preamps!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Just imagine what he could have if he sold some of those and went after some truly high-end gear. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Just imagine what he could have if he sold some of those and went after some truly high-end gear. ;)
    verb wrote: »

Patience grasshopper! :smile:

• verb
    edited May 2019
    I'm a incremental kinda guy. Always have been. From my toy cars, and motorcycles, etc., you name it. Start from scratch, base model if you will, and build up, customize, over time.

For me, it's all part of the journey. And this one, so far, has been an absolute blast!
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    If the first and only car you ever drive is a Ferrari, you'll never fully appreciate it as much as if your first car was a Toyota Corolla.

Well said. The game to me is all about aspiration. Yeah I aspire to own someday a PASS, or VAC, or even MBL! Ya never know! :smile:

And if I really hit it big, maybe some of the beautiful stuff @DSkip offers! :smile:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You don't want MBL.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Another thing, don't break the 0A2's. They've got radioactive gas inside.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    F1nut wrote: »
    Another thing, don't break the 0A2's. They've got radioactive gas inside.

Yep I read that on one of your earlier warnings in another thread. Thanks man I appreciate the advice!
  • verb
    Love the Firm Ivan! :smile:
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Slp 05 will be hard to beat. I have the slp05 and LA300ME andI still enjoy the battle.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    Congrats, Dave. I look forward to your impressions once you have spent some time listening to the Joule.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I had a Joule LAP150 it was a solid unit. Congrats!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • verb
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    verb wrote: »

But shipping is only $15,000 !

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Just a quick reminder about that pre as one of the former owners. Keep in mind she's old, and those boards start to get brittle with age. So when changing tubes, if you do, especially the right rear one, put a finger under the board and give the tube a gentle wiggle as you pull upward. The board in that position has some flex to it, and being old and somewhat brittle, you don't want to crack the board.

Wouldn't hurt to clean up the sockets and pins either. If you need any help with it just ask bro. Congrats, should be on par with the VTL you have.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    tonyb wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder about that pre as one of the former owners. Keep in mind she's old, and those boards start to get brittle with age. So when changing tubes, if you do, especially the right rear one, put a finger under the board and give the tube a gentle wiggle as you pull upward. The board in that position has some flex to it, and being old and somewhat brittle, you don't want to crack the board.

Wouldn't hurt to clean up the sockets and pins either. If you need any help with it just ask bro. Congrats, should be on par with the VTL you have.

Thanks Tony! Will do! Thanks for the advice. Given the provenance of this piece, I will most assuredly treat it will love and respect! :smile:
  • tonyb
    Also, the main tubes in it should still be the nos RCA triple mica black plates. I had them in the mu-follower stage too but Judd like the Sylvania triple mica black plate in the mu-follower better. I just never got around to trying one in that position. I marked where the mu-follower stage is in the manual. Which that manual alone is worth the read.

The gain switch worked best for me at about the 2 o'clock position. See what jives with your ears/gear best. I still contend....you will not find a better tubed pre for the price you paid for it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    So it’s been a while since this landed at Verb’s house, but I finally had a chance to hook this baby up today! :smile:
    86og6ovffgcf.jpeg
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice!! I miss the 150 i had. Joule made some darn good stuff.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • verb
    edited October 2019
    erniejade wrote: »
    Nice!! I miss the 150 i had. Joule made some darn good stuff.

Thanks Brian! Looking forward to spending some time with it! Finally! :)
  • tonyb
    What amp are you pairing with it my man ? I really enjoyed the rhythm and pace/tone she had, very musical without drawing attention to any one area of the musical spectrum. I also used AZ Satori cables and a mix of AZ matrix and WW eclipse 7 IC's with it for some darn good results.

As I noted before, read the manual Judd provided, he was pretty thorough. Wish more pieces came with such a manual.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • indyhawg
    That pre looks familiar. Enjoy. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
  • verb
    edited October 2019
    tonyb wrote: »
    What amp are you pairing with it my man ? I really enjoyed the rhythm and pace/tone she had, very musical without drawing attention to any one area of the musical spectrum. I also used AZ Satori cables and a mix of AZ matrix and WW eclipse 7 IC's with it for some darn good results.

As I noted before, read the manual Judd provided, he was pretty thorough. Wish more pieces came with such a manual.

Right now the soon to be retired Carver TFM35X, yeah I know! I’ll most likely move the CJ over tonight and plug it in! And then the McCormack!