Let’s talk Pot...

Options
And pans, that is... we need to replace our 15 plus year old cookware with something new, and seeing as though we discuss everything from black paint to what deodorant would work on Russ(harder to find than black paint :p), I thought I would see if you hooligans and reprobates had any ideas on which brands to consider.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My favorites....Blue Dream daytime and Gorilla Glue #4 night time.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »

Both excellent choices...
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    adb3da wrote: »
    All-Clad

Ditto

Get ready to drop some coin but they are the best iMO. 5 ply FTW
    Would not buy anything else after owning them.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Old school Cast Iron cookware, a couple of OXO non-stick pans and Emeril or All Clad cookware sets, multi-cooker and some Le Creuset Dutch Ovens.

Round it off with a Rotisserie cooker, Sous Vide, BGE, Traeger, Chimney torch, open fire pit, stock pots (large), double cooker and one can cook almost anything to perfection.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    Did I mention Cast Iron?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'll second treitz3 on the OXO non stick pans, some of the best I've ever owned. I have all kinds of cookware, each has it's own place in the line-up. Cast iron, enameled cast iron, carbon steel pans (black iron or black steel), all clad stainless.

I recently purchased this set on sale for about $180. Bought it for a friend after doing some research. It weighs the same as my All Clad set, thickness is the same. I'm impressed, feel like I shouldn't have paid as much for my All Clad after using the Cuisinart.
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-reg-multiclad-pro-stainless-steel-12-piece-cookware-set/1013743843?skuId=13743843&gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3306250631&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_cookware_online&product_id=13743843&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=224234111979&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwitPnBRCQARIsAA5n84nDFAMjkEo5Nmm2AphORErI6xIn9GuCLoKgXmh4cQKEO0TBSGIRWlQaAvtLEALw_wcB
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Nevermind
    Randy/Maine
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    For 90%of my pan cooking I use De Buyer Mineral B pans. Heavy, but once seasoned, better than nonstick and ZERO chemicals! Plus if you mess up, just scrub it out and re-season.

Life time pans.

I also have some all clad stainless pots and pans for everything else.

“Nonstick” and it’s nasty chemicals have zero place in my home. They are ALL designed to fail and leach chemicals into your food. No matter the warranty or manufacturer, 3-5 years and they need replacing if used regularly.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Cast Iron here.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I have a Cast Iron Griswold pan with hinged lid that is 70 years old.....My GGrandma fried chicken in it and cooked 90% of her meals in it daily. I also have a couple of Lodge CI pans that if you were to taste the meals? One would be bowing at my presence. One of which I started with new 3 decades ago. Today, she would sell for $$$....

I believe my wife married me over the Lemon-Pepper Pork chops I made for our first date.

Not because of me. Because of the way they cook. Once one knows how to care for and cook in CI pans? Awe **** son!!!

That's all she wrote.

New wave cookware is for....never mind. There are many websites that go there.....

I love cooking.

Tom
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    All-clad 12" everyday pan. My grandmother's cast iron. A 10" Mauviel carbon steel pan.
    Cuisinart tri-ply for the 1,2 ,4 & 12 qt sauce pans & the 3qt Chef pan. A Joyce Chen wok.
    An 8qt enameled cast iron dutch oven (Costco Kirkland. It's a re-branded Staub)
    And a 12" all-clad non-stick for the occasional delicate work.

Most of it has been purchased at HomeGoods or TJMaxx. Not full retail.

That covers 90% of my cooking.

I put together similar sets out of open stock for my girls when they each got their own houses.
    Much better that the vendors pre-selected sets as far as actually being useful.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    spend the coin and get some All-Clad - at least the MC3 line.
    [
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    No one has asked the most important question...what kind of range do you cook with? Electric, gas, or induction?

When we gut remodeled our kitchen about 5 years ago we purchased an induction range. Literally one of the best purchases I've ever made. But it limits your pan options to stainless steel and cast iron. I was already using a lot of cast iron, now I have a couple stainless steel saute and sauce pans and one big boiling pot, but the rest is CI. For the everyday 10 inch skillet I just have a Lodge, and I started off with lodge enameled CI casserole and dutch ovens, but honestly the surface just isn't as good and they both ceased to be non-stick, so I finally bit the bullet and got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AH21CWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this: https://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Signature-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Marseille/dp/B0076NOHM6?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2595339011 at Marshall's. So far they are awesome!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    The cooktop is gas, and we have a wall oven.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    The cooktop is gas, and we have a wall oven.

Does your son cook with you? I LOVE having induction with kiddos around. Almost impossible for them to inadvertently burn themselves. Heats and cools even faster than gas, rest of the surface stays cool or reasonable. But its pretty $$$...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Cast iron and a stainless pot for gravey.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Options
    I like Calphalon pans. They cook evenly, look nice, clean easily, and when the coating wears off like it does on all pans eventually, you can convince them to replace them.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    I like Calphalon pans. They cook evenly, look nice, clean easily, and when the coating wears off like it does on all pans eventually, you can convince them to replace them.

You’re forgetting the part where that coating comes off, into your food...

And yes, you’re correct ALL nonstick pans do the same thing.

No thanks.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2019
    Options
    get your read on John...Need a Cast iron pan period.. then some stainless stuff but each has there own reason for using it.. there are some really good You Tube videos where they put them all to the test!

sand down a lodge cast iron pan a little then toss in oven add special oil and bake for hour or so ..to season it then you cast iron can do some seriously good cooking..made for pancakes and corn bread etc... :) got me pan I have been seasoning for maybe 4 years so sweet!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Le Creuset makes about everything in about every material and surface you could want.

Expensive but it wall last multiple lifetimes.

https://www.lecreuset.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNssv2l4D86Et7DLQz2gScI6qEgS9JhY5ZVjzo53_JY5c83vLvk4R1xoCdCkQAvD_BwE#
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Thanks guys... went with an All-Clad set, and will look into a cast iron skillet next. I have bad memories of them however, as my step dad used one to make blood sausage and head cheese sandwiches when I was a kid. The stench from that pan was unbearable...

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ^^^^
    thats a winner...I saw several you tube Videos of test groups testing a bunch of pans and the "All-Clad" D3 came out on top both times!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    T
    Thanks guys... went with an All-Clad set, and will look into a cast iron skillet next. I

That's a good choice John.

Don't be afraid of cast iron. It's the only proper way to make cornbread.
    Or a pineapple upside-down cake :-)

Keep a non-stick around too. You'll want it for a few delicate tasks.
    Heck, even Jacques uses one!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Good choice John. You’ll love them.
    I would suggest not putting them in the dishwasher. Just my op
  • treitz3
    Options
    If and when you want a CI pan, I am VERY well versed. Probably a walking, talking encyclopedia of CI. 4th Generation cooker here ....

Call me and I can get down to the Nitty Gritty to what a year of research would offer in about 15 minutes. Sorry but I am too damned lazy to type just the main points out. Just that would take too long. I need to know what you cook, how fast you are used to cooking and what your threshold is on certain parameters.

Then we can get into some quick and basic pointers. CI cooking isn't for everyone, nor is the cleanup. Done right? It's non stick as they come and cleanup is easy as 2 minutes from stuck on food to oiled up and ready fr the next meal.

Tom
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    IKEA... Cuz that's how I roll. Can't find better for 2-3 times the price, especially the larger fry and deep skillet pans. Induction ready and the cleanup for a non-stick is better than anything else I've used.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Can we now get back to chatting about pot? >:)