Has anyone seen the Elton John movie, Rocketman?

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,163
edited June 2019 in Music & Movies
Has anyone seen the movie Rocketman? I am curious to hear people's impressions of the movie. It looks like it will be great. I have not seen it yet but plan to do so next weekend.

With the recent (huge) success of the movie Bohemian Rhapsody, I am sure we will soon see more biopics about rock legends. Who do you think will be next in line for a movie treatment? David Bowie? Prince?

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I won’t be seeing it, though I do respect Elton’s work.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    If they do another it better be about either the Beatles or Led Zeppelin. They can have Greta Van Fleet play Zeppelin.

There is a huge list of who they can do these biopics for. Scorpions who've been rocking us for 50 years. Glen Campbell who play with everybody in Hollywood in the early 60's.

The Dirt on Netflix was great.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    deronb1 wrote: »
    KISS! :)

The Bose of the music biz.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I doubt I'll see it although I like Elton John's music. Not nearly as interesting a story as Queen and Elton is after all still alive! Seems like a money grab because the Bohemian Rhapsody movie was successful. And apparently lots of drama added that did not really exist in reality. That's show business!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2019
    Sir Elton has been trying to get the film made for decades. The biggest stumbling blocks have been his insistence on showing rather graphic sex scenes. Original drafts of the script were purportedly more like a high budget po rn film set to music.

Dozens of studios have passed at one time or another, and the script has been rewritten more times than can be counted... I not saying it is a bad film, it is just not my cup of tea.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    LOL, I grew up as a big time Elton fan. Love his music have all the good stuff he has produced. Love Bernie s writing.. What a combo the two have produce some serious classic songs. but his life story I already know enough about!

I was siting around the lake with my friends...as we lived at the lakes in the summer time. love the moments around a fire talking trash etc.. having a blast.

someone mention that it is funny how everyone in the gang (my park city friends I grew up with and have been camping out at the lakes since i was 15) all have different Rock Group they like? my brother was Boston..Randy was Led Zeppelin..Tom was Styx
    Lance was the Cars etc..

I mention that I had no favorite? maybe Rolling Stone or Pink Floyd.. but not real favorites. My Brother and Randy and Herbie all ways like B.s. You and that f word Elton John! I was like what? they were like your the only person I've ever known to play his music like you do...so they branded me a Elton John die hard fan LOL they ship we get branded too...so I had most of his LP's ..I also had all the AC/DC LP'ss LED Zeppelins and many other LOL but because I played his music more then other I was his biggest fan?

whatever I don't care!

So I said I am not a Elton John fan>>>> I just the biggest Bernie Taupin fan ever! you idiots

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    He will leave behind a legacy of music that has/will withstand the test of time. I'd say you have good taste.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Hard pass. Can't stand the little Prima Donna or his far left wing world view.
  • nooshinjohn
    Hehehheh.. he said “hard”.

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Sir Elton has been trying to get the film made for decades. The biggest stumbling blocks have been his insistence on showing rather graphic sex scenes. Original drafts of the script were purportedly more like a high budget po rn film set to music.

Dozens of studios have passed at one time or another, and the script has been rewritten more times than can be counted... I not saying it is a bad film, it is just not my cup of tea.

Sounds like it ended up being an activist film - with a good soundtrack.

FWIW, one of my favorite movie scenes of all time is the bus scene from Almost Famous, after the house party. I think of it every time I hear Tiny Dancer.

As for a future movie, I’d like to see one done on Lynyrd Skynyrd. I’ve seen a couple good documentaries, and I think there’s a compelling enough story there for a great film.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    Skynard would be a good one... another would be Black Sabbath.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    They need to get the ball rolling on these choices BEFORE all the members have left this earth.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.