Polk PSW-108 with M-Audio AV-40

Options
Hello, I am trying to pair my new Polk PSW-108 with a set of M-Audio AV-40 desktop speakers. Everything is powered on and I have an RCA cable connecting the AV-40 "Line" channel to the PSW-108 "Line In" channel. I am playing music by connecting an AUX cable from my computer to the "Aux In" port on the AV-40 speakers. What am I doing wrong?

Polk PSW-108 Back Panel

8otm3bq6848l.jpg

M-Audio AV-40 Back Panel
mf90hmgx5ajj.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Those are input RCA jacks on your speakers. There is no way to connect a sub to those speakers. Time to punt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• theonealex
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Those are input RCA jacks on your speakers. There is no way to connect a sub to those speakers. Time to punt.

Could I do AUX -> Subwoofer RCA "Line In" and then Subwoofer "Speaker Level Output" to speaker RCA?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Correction, there is no way to connect that particular Polk PSW-108 subwoofer to those speakers, unless you use a preamp with a dedicated subwoofer pre-out. Since you are using your PC's sound card as a preamp, there is no subwoofer pre-out available in this case.

In your particular use case, with powered "studio" monitors like those, you'd need a "studio/professional" subwoofer with inputs/outputs like this:

BXSUB_back_web_1200x750_00.jpg

You'd run your 3.5mm to RCA L & R RCA cable from your PC to the unbalanced input connector on the subwoofer, and then 1/4" TRS balanced cables from the subwoofer to the TRS inputs on your AV-40s.

I would return the Polk sub and get one that has the ins/outs that you require.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    theonealex wrote: »
    Could I do AUX -> Subwoofer RCA "Line In" and then Subwoofer "Speaker Level Output" to speaker RCA?

Nope, because the AV-40s are expecting a line level signal, not a speaker level one.
  • theonealex
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I would return the Polk sub and get one that has the ins/outs that you require.

Done. I'll just wait until my speakers are ready for an upgrade as well. Then I'll make a more intelligent purchase :)

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    You could split the output from your computer and run into both the speakers and the sub and then blend the subwoofer in using the crossover dial, but that would be cumbersome and not the best sound quality.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited June 2019
    Options
    There is a way. A little convoluted for my taste, but it'd work. 3.5mm to l/r rca from the sound card. Plug an rca splitter into each of those rcas. Then run cables from the splitters to the speakers and sub.

I think that's what rooftop was suggesting.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    To add, you'd need to control volume via the sound card. Not the AV 40s front mounted control.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I like my answer. Time to punt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk