Check Your Power Cables

delkal
delkal Posts: 764
I finally received all of the parts and made a set of DIY power cables (twisted 12 ga milspec Teflon coated silver plated copper wire for hot and neutral, countertwisted 14 ga copper wire as ground, SonarQuest red copper plugs, and Techflex microfiber nylon sleeving for looks). When I was wiring everything I wanted to make sure I got the polarity and everything correct so I used the old power cables I had for reference. I was surprised what I found! The stock "throw away" cables had MUCH higher resistance than my new finished set.

My mid level digital multi meter reads 0.5 ohms when the leads are shorted and I got the same reading testing my new power cables. But the old power cords I had (and some I had in the basement) read.....

Cord 1- Hot 1.3 ohms , neutral 0.7 ohms ground 5-30 ohms! (and always bouncing around) This one is in the trash can now

Cord 2- Hot 0.7 ohms , neutral 0.8 ohms, ground 1 ohms

Cord 3- Hot 0.7 ohms , neutral 0.6 ohms, ground 0.7 ohms

Cord 4 (2 prong)- Hot 0.7 ohms , neutral 0.6 ohms

All of these old stock cords were plated with something and I would have to rub on the prongs to get the lowest reading. With the new copper connectors as soon as I touched the prongs it would read at my DMM's lowest setting. And plugging them in you can feel the prongs engaging and have to give a slight wiggle to get them seated. Didn't get a chance to listen yet but I have a feeling I will like them.

So check your power cords occasionally. if they read any higher than your shorted DMM you have a problem. Get out the Deoxit or tighten the connections. Or you need an upgrade and throw them away

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    It’s a good idea to periodically clean all electrical connections. This includes cleaning the breaker connection on each dedicated AC line, and make sure the AC line on each breaker is tight.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    BlueFox wrote: »
    It’s a good idea to periodically clean all electrical connections. This includes cleaning the breaker connection on each dedicated AC line, and make sure the AC line on each breaker is tight.

I'll get right on that Bud....not. LOL, you may have a wee bit too much time on your hands now that your retired pal. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043

It is a good idea to check things over while you've got the box opened. In my case while installing dedicated 20amp circuits this spring I found an unconnected ground wire on another circuit and a few loose ground connections. I didn't go as far as cleaning the breaker connections but that's not a bad idea.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes. The screws holding the wires to the breaker loosen over time, and should be periodically retightened.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Yes. The screws holding the wires to the breaker loosen over time, and should be periodically retightened.

I recommend a yearly check. Best to get a torque screwdriver and find a good setting and use that setting consistently. Over tightening can be just as bad.