Removing grille on in-ceiling speakers

bbriedis
bbriedis Posts: 9
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I just ordered and received two pair of Polk RC80i in-ceiling speakers. I am having a real difficult time removing the grille. The instructions say to use a paperclip or corkscrew, but a small paperclip is not nearly strong enough to loosen the grille at all. A large paperclip will not even fit through the holes in the grille. I tried a corkscrew, but it started to bend the grille without loosening it. The instructions say not to use a screwdriver or other object near the speaker ring as this would cause damage.

Polk advertises their in-ceiling or in-wall speakers as "Out of the box and into the wall, that's how easy it is to install Polk RCi Series In-Wall Loundspeakers." I can't even get to first base. Anyone know what the secret is? Thanks.

BTW - I did try with both speakers. They are both real tight.

Bob
Post edited by bbriedis on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2002
    i would call polk customer service..thats about as much help as i can offer..sorry:rolleyes:
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited March 2002
    Hello Bob,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. If you'll telephone me at 1-800-377-7655 extension 891 I can send you a small tool which will make life easier for you.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2002
    If you'll telephone me at 1-800-377-7655 extension 891 I can send you a small tool which will make life easier for you.
    Regards, Ken Swauger

Is this great customer service or what? Way to go Ken and Polk!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2002
    AHHH THE STUCK GRILLE OUT OF THE BOX INWALL SPEAKER,
    wait for the tool that Polk is sending you I have one it looks like a dentist tool you knoe the one he pick's your teeth with??.THEN YOU WONT DAMAGE THE GRILL,They are a pain to straighten back up.
    Dan
    You could use a vewry small screw driver,they work just be carefull you don't scratch up the paint.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Help! 17 years later and I have the exact same problem. Does anybody have the proper contact info now?