Need help deciding between Audio Technica or beyerdynamic

fbm211
fbm211 Posts: 1,488
Audio-Technica ATHAD700X
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 ohm

Not sure what the difference between the 990 & 770 is but the 250 ohm versions are cheaper than the 32 and 80 ohm versions. I read that has to do with demand. Anyway I will be using a Schiit modi 3 and magni to drive them and I think that be able to drive the 250 ohm versions. Pretty new to the low high end headphone camp and my Vanatoo T zeros tend to disturb the neighbors in the mornings so I'm getting cans for those times.
All three of these get very good reviews so Just wondering if any of you have any of them.
SDA-2BTL with custom IC
Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
Harman Kardon T-55c TT
DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre

Comments

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    The 3 phones you are looking at are not exactly in the same category. The AT and DT 990s are open back phones, while the DT770 is closed back. Open back headphones tend to have larger soundstage than most closed backs. Having said that the soundstage on the DT770 is not bad at all, but not as spacious as the other two. If you are listening strictly at home, open backs are fine. If you plan on listening in the office or in public than you probably want to go with the closed backs as open backs leak sound and others will hear your music.

You might want to reconsider the DT770 80 ohm. It has much better bass overall than the DT770 250 ohm and is the more enjoyable phone to listen too. As far as sound goes the DT990 has a very V shaped profile with extended bass and highs (often too schrill and bright on the 990) and somewhat recessed mids. The AT is a little better balanced with more present mids, but not as strong bass and is often too schrill in the highs also. The DT 770 250 ohm also has too schrill highs. The 80 ohm version has much better bass and is a little smoother in the highs.

Having said all that, I would consider other cans before any of the above mentioned. You can often find used Sennheiser HD-58Xs and Hifiman HE-4XX's (or any of the 400 variants like the HE400, 400I, and 400S) in the same low $100 range you typically pay for the DT770 or 990 and they are in a whole different league sonically. I think you would be much more satisfied with any of these over the 3 you mentioned.
  • fbm211
    Thank for the suggestions. After a couple more hours of looking around I decided to try 3 different sets.
    These are what i'm going to try out... All of them have a return policy too.
    HIFIMAN HE400i
    Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
    Sennheiser HD 58X Audiphile Jubilee.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Dawgfish
    Good deal! I think any of your new 3 will work great for you. Don't have any personal experience with the A900X's but listened to a modded set of HE4XXs earlier (uses same driver as 400i) and I'm listening to a modded HD58X as I'm typing this now. Both are excellent and along with the Monolith M565/565Cs represent the best performance in headphones under $200 imho.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    What are you looking for in headphones and we can point you a direction? Sound characteristics? Price point?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited May 2019
    I have a pair of DT-770s... they will be with me till I die.

I can listen to music from my tube headphone amp (Little Dot) full tilt for hours with no ringing, ear sweat or pain from the clamp of them. Honestly I could not even notice their weight either.

As a glasses wearer this was MOST important.

And they sound good and isolate better than open back (I use mine at work).

I’m not doing critical listening as much as jamming out to tunes at work though.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • fbm211
    zingo wrote: »
    What are you looking for in headphones and we can point you a direction? Sound characteristics? Price point?

Looking for Tight but not boomy bass and extended highs but not shrill. Thats why Im going to try an Audio Technica since thats seems to be a thing with that brand that I always read about in the reviews. I have seen that they also have open back and closed of the 900s. There is also a 900x and a 900z. The z versions are suppesed to be a newer updated version of the x versions. Looking to spend $150.00 to $200.00.
    And i just got a modi 2 and a magni 3 is on the way.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • zingo
    You have some power, so that is good for any headphones and you don't have to worry about sensitivity.

I really like my AKG 701 (it has a few variations) which have a great open sound and ample bass for enjoying music reproduction but not enough for a bass-head. It's also been in production for a long time, so prices are very reasonable for new, or almost a steal for used. I don't think they are better than my semi-closed back Fostex planar headphones, but they are more neutral in their sound and very easy to enjoy.
  • Dawgfish
    You have some power, so that is good for any headphones and you don't have to worry about sensitivity.

I really like my AKG 701 (it has a few variations) which have a great open sound and ample bass for enjoying music reproduction but not enough for a bass-head. It's also been in production for a long time, so prices are very reasonable for new, or almost a steal for used. I don't think they are better than my semi-closed back Fostex planar headphones, but they are more neutral in their sound and very easy to enjoy.

Which set of semi closed Fostex's are you running? I've got a set of Modhouse Argons and enjoy them more than any other can I've tried to date. I want to try the T60RPs next.
  • zingo
    I have the Dekoni Blues, a factory modded version of the Fostex T50RP MKIII. They are funny headphones as they aren't perfect in sound production, but very enjoyable for blowing through albums in an evening.
  • Dawgfish
    Nice! I would say the say the same thing about the Argons. Bass is definitely north of neutral, yet still has good definition. I love 'em!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559

I can listen to music from my tube headphone amp (Little Dot) full tilt for hours with no ringing, ear sweat or pain from the clamp of them. Honestly I could not even notice their weight either.

I’m not doing critical listening as much as jamming out to tunes at work though.

I still want a pair of these at some point, probably the 250ohm version.

Do you know if there are different models/variants? It looks like some of the older ones have a slight taper/slope to the inside of the ear pads, whereas newer ones look more like a traditional ear pad that is more squared off.

The older style looks to be a lot more comfortable. Which version do you have?
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2019
    I’ve got 32 ohm ones.....

Not sure beyond that.

Bought them used off this forum a few years back.

Most comfortable pair I’ve ever owned.

My headphone amp is overkill for them but well.... I LIKE overkill....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • fbm211
    This just keeps getting harder and harder to choose. I've watched about 15 hours of reviews on Z reviews and I'm now convinced I need to get something a step up from the old standard magni. like the JDS Atom or Liquid Spark. Maybe down the road I'll try them all. Oh hell, I want ALL the toys. Lol. If more of those Massdrop THX\AAA\789 appear I am getting one since its on my must have list.
    As far as DACs are concerned I do have a modi optical and I was even thinking I could try the Stello DA100 Signature I use for my Big Rig.
    And then there is the miniDSP 2x4 HD. Science in a little box.
    So now its Research Research Research.for my new headphone hobby. Thank you guys, for the suggestions.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • zingo
    I would choose an amp to drive my headphones well, not the other way around.
  • Clipdat
    fbm211 wrote: »
    This just keeps getting harder and harder to choose. I've watched about 15 hours of reviews on Z reviews and I'm now convinced I need to get something a step up from the old standard magni. like the JDS Atom or Liquid Spark. Maybe down the road I'll try them all. Oh hell, I want ALL the toys. Lol. If more of those Massdrop THX\AAA\789 appear I am getting one since its on my must have list.
    As far as DACs are concerned I do have a modi optical and I was even thinking I could try the Stello DA100 Signature I use for my Big Rig.
    And then there is the miniDSP 2x4 HD. Science in a little box.
    So now its Research Research Research.for my new headphone hobby. Thank you guys, for the suggestions.

I'm strongly considering the Burson Audio Soloist SL MK2.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/soloist-sl-mk2/
  • Dawgfish
    edited May 2019
    I would choose an amp to drive my headphones well, not the other way around.

Exactly! Just like with speakers. Find the headphones you want then find a suitable amp to drive them. Your Magni can effectively drive most phones out there, though some planars are less efficient and harder to drive, the Magni will still be respectable until you find something more suitable if you go down the less efficient planar route.

One thing about Z's reviews; I find him very entertaining and the most enjoyable to listen too, but his technical descriptions of how things sound are not the best. Take that with a grain of salt.

Just for full transparency headphone amps I currently have are a Schiit Lyr 2, Primaluna Prolougue 4 with speaker level to balanced headphone adapter, Monoprice Liquid Spark, Schiit Magni 2 Uber, Little Dot 1+ with modded opamps, a Nobsound NS-2SE (incredibly nice sounding and powerful for the price), Fiio A3, and a vintage Marantz 2220B receiver (don't overlook vintage receivers, most had excellent and very powerful headphone stages).

Quite honestly the most versatile one I've tried that offers the most bang for the buck is the Little Dot 1+. They can be picked up for around $100, roll in some good NOS tubes such as the GE 5654s for around $25-30, and replace the stock opamp with something like the BB OPA 2134 ($5-10), and you will have a pretty powerful and great sounding amp that will drive most phones out there. Since its a tube/solid state hybrid you get some of the tube sweetness, with solid state drive and impact and it's adaptable to phones with a wide range of inpedences. Heck this thing drives the Argons to very nice levels and control. The Argons like most Fostex T50rp based phones are notoriously hard to drive.

Sorry for the tangent, what I'm getting at is find a good set of phones you want to try and take it from there. You don't have to try everything at once. Making small incremental tweaks, upgrades, and changes is something that I find very enjoyable about this hobby. Don't let it overwhelm you. Do it at your own pace and enjoy the journey!
  • Dawgfish
    Clipdat wrote: »

I still want a pair of these at some point, probably the 250ohm version.

Do you know if there are different models/variants? It looks like some of the older ones have a slight taper/slope to the inside of the ear pads, whereas newer ones look more like a traditional ear pad that is more squared off.

The older style looks to be a lot more comfortable. Which version do you have?

Beyerdynamic does make different versions of their phones (ie pros vs customs vs premiums) and usually they have models with different impedances. From what I understand the difference between the pads between the different models is usually just a change in color and the materials are the same. The difference in shape you are seeing is likely just the difference in pads as they wear over time. Newer pads will tend to look thicker and have more angular edges. As they compress over time they will be thinner and rounder in appearance.
  • fbm211
    Interesting you mention the Little dot. Im considering it if I go with the DT 770s. Or the 1770s. I think they would pair well since the DTs are considered aggressive in the highs.Im sort of looking for something like that anyway. (I do like my trebble.) And its affordable.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • EndersShadow
    I wouldn’t call them “Aggressive” by any means.....

But man I enjoy them!
  • fbm211
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • zingo
    Not a lot of power, especially if you choose the low impedance version of the headphones. It is nice that you don't need a separate DAC and the form factor is small, but you are giving up the ability to drive a variety of headphones well.
  • Dawgfish
    Not a lot of power, especially if you choose the low impedance version of the headphones. It is nice that you don't need a separate DAC and the form factor is small, but you are giving up the ability to drive a variety of headphones well.

+1.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I am dropping my vote for Little Dot 1+. I have had mine for 2 years or so and have had no issues. I use it about 6 hours plus a day at work. The sound is fantastic and tube rolling options just make it plain fun.

Granted my headphones are NOT hard to drive but sound great with the added tube flavor. Fidelio L2.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • fbm211
    ATH-AD2000X on the way. I couldnt resist at $419.00. I almost went for the ATH-A1000Z but decided what the hell. Get the better ones. Easy to drive also but im still going to use the Atom till I decice to splurge on a burson or little dot.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2019
    I'm currently looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 880. Just not sure of going with the 600ohm edition, or the "Pro" 250ohm version.