Long cable run - Phono Preamp to AVR

I am going to be moving soon and will probably have to drastically change my layout. It looks like the "best" option would put my turntable and phono pre about 20' from the rest of my rig.

Has anybody had luck with a particular cable on a run this long? I checked Blue Jean Cables and they were about a hundred. I had a moment of sticker shock, but I love listening to records so I don't want to crew this up.
Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, B&K Ref 2220, AMC 2100, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk FXiA4, (2) SVS SB12-NSD

Comments

• tratlifftratliff Posts: 758
    If possible use XLR for the long run.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, 2 REL Carbon Limited, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 573
    I ran 50' stereo audio Blue Jeans Cables from a Pro-Ject turntable and Pro-Ject preamp to a Denon receiver.

I discussed the issue with the people at Blue Jeans Cable and purchased the cable they recommended. I believe the cable used was Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cable with "low capacitance" being the important spec.

Everything about the cable is solid and big. I could hear no discernible differences with turntable next to the receiver with a short cable run or from 50' away.
  • dr1978dr1978 Posts: 248
    tratliff wrote: »
    If possible use XLR for the long run.

Unfortunately that won't be an option.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, B&K Ref 2220, AMC 2100, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk FXiA4, (2) SVS SB12-NSD
  • dr1978dr1978 Posts: 248
    I ran 50' stereo audio Blue Jeans Cables from a Pro-Ject turntable and Pro-Ject preamp to a Denon receiver.

I discussed the issue with the people at Blue Jeans Cable and purchased the cable they recommended. I believe the cable used was Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cable with "low capacitance" being the important spec.

Everything about the cable is solid and big. I could hear no discernible differences with turntable next to the receiver with a short cable run or from 50' away.

That's the cable I had my eye on. Thanks for sharing that it worked well for you!
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,333
    Cable capacitance from the turntable to the phono-pre is critical. You do not want the long cable run there. Once the phono-pre has converted the signal to line level, it's essentially no different than having a long run from any other line level device.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,829
    edited May 23
    20 feet should be OK for a line level signal -- depending on the source (phono preamp) output impedance and the load input impedance, of course :)

Noise could be a problem; a one-way shielded cable might be a good idea in an application like this.

The OP could DIY with some shielded Mogami cable and any decent RCA plugs (Neutrik, e.g., or boutique plugs, if one is suitably financially resourced ;) ). I am a big fan of DIY cables -- mostly because I am cheap, but also because I kinda like putting them together :)

7vmbf9v3nr0t.png

I put red shrink wrap on the "shield connected" end of the pair of DIY cables in the photo above. Now -- which end to connect to which component is... a matter of some difference of opinon. :) Empiricism is probably the best approach!
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185121/a-simple-stupid-question-re-single-end-shielded-unbalanced-interconnects
  • Mr. SharpeMr. Sharpe Posts: 1,235
    like mhardy mentioned 20' should be ok at this length but if it were me I'd make my own, thicker cable just in case ;)
    2 Channel
    Marantz UD-7007 Cd Player
    Parasound Halo P5 Preamplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 DIY power conditioner
    Parasound HCA-1500A Power Amplifier
    Polk Audio RTA-12c's

5 channel
    Westinghouse 43" LED smart
    Marantz UD-7007 Blu-Ray player
    Klipsch RB-41 Front and surrounds
    Klipsch RC-10
    Polk audio PSW-505