Long cable run - Phono Preamp to AVR

I am going to be moving soon and will probably have to drastically change my layout. It looks like the "best" option would put my turntable and phono pre about 20' from the rest of my rig.

Has anybody had luck with a particular cable on a run this long? I checked Blue Jean Cables and they were about a hundred. I had a moment of sticker shock, but I love listening to records so I don't want to crew this up.
Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    If possible use XLR for the long run.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    I ran 50' stereo audio Blue Jeans Cables from a Pro-Ject turntable and Pro-Ject preamp to a Denon receiver.

I discussed the issue with the people at Blue Jeans Cable and purchased the cable they recommended. I believe the cable used was Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cable with "low capacitance" being the important spec.

Everything about the cable is solid and big. I could hear no discernible differences with turntable next to the receiver with a short cable run or from 50' away.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    tratliff wrote: »
    If possible use XLR for the long run.

Unfortunately that won't be an option.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    I ran 50' stereo audio Blue Jeans Cables from a Pro-Ject turntable and Pro-Ject preamp to a Denon receiver.

I discussed the issue with the people at Blue Jeans Cable and purchased the cable they recommended. I believe the cable used was Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cable with "low capacitance" being the important spec.

Everything about the cable is solid and big. I could hear no discernible differences with turntable next to the receiver with a short cable run or from 50' away.

That's the cable I had my eye on. Thanks for sharing that it worked well for you!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Cable capacitance from the turntable to the phono-pre is critical. You do not want the long cable run there. Once the phono-pre has converted the signal to line level, it's essentially no different than having a long run from any other line level device.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2019
    20 feet should be OK for a line level signal -- depending on the source (phono preamp) output impedance and the load input impedance, of course :)

Noise could be a problem; a one-way shielded cable might be a good idea in an application like this.

The OP could DIY with some shielded Mogami cable and any decent RCA plugs (Neutrik, e.g., or boutique plugs, if one is suitably financially resourced ;) ). I am a big fan of DIY cables -- mostly because I am cheap, but also because I kinda like putting them together :)

7vmbf9v3nr0t.png

I put red shrink wrap on the "shield connected" end of the pair of DIY cables in the photo above. Now -- which end to connect to which component is... a matter of some difference of opinon. :) Empiricism is probably the best approach!
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185121/a-simple-stupid-question-re-single-end-shielded-unbalanced-interconnects
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    like mhardy mentioned 20' should be ok at this length but if it were me I'd make my own, thicker cable just in case ;)
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo: