I’ve often found myself wandering the earth...

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,573
edited May 2019 in The Clubhouse
Polk Audio will always have a special place in my heart but we should always explore in this hobby, addiction or love of all things in High Fidelity. I’ve been a fighter for like 20yrs and employed by Polk for 10+ over the years. I say fighter because we get ragged on all the time. On the periphery but every manufacturer has haters, it’s normal.

This created a core group of POLKIES. I’m not sure of the year. Someone else knows. We simply wanted to enjoy, create and dispel hatred. As a collective we became super Polk nerds. Now that being said it created the community you see now. Most of us old people roll from here to there but we never lose or lost our roots in this killer forum. It’s hard for explain the mindset and rabid love for this company. They’re certainly some recognizable old school hard hats still here. To that I tip my head an honor..you know who you are.

That being said we’ve lost some lineage. George Grand “Tony Romo” THE Godfather of Polk Forum. This wouldn’t exist without his solid commitment to us. And he ran the best version of Carver Amazings’ ever made. But he always loved Polk and our odd fellowship.

This is really apparent in the POLKFESTS we had organized internally amongst normal members. Polkfests are legendary and if we haven’t been scrubbed out by DT, you can see pics. Polk Audio always supported us to a simple T-shirt to full blown Capital Audiofest x3, CES x6, Lone Star Audiofest x2, Rocky Mountain Audiofest...etc. I’m sorry but you new folks have no idea what Polk Audio and hardcore members sacrificed for our/ this forum.

That’s just some history and you Polkies have it handled. Nice to see. Keep rolling.
I can’t add anymore. Pay it forward in a nerd way. Don’t criticize, read, love and just be willing to jump around and get down.

Regards, Mark aka dorokusai
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Sorry to hear this.
    :'(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dorokusai
    It’s positive. The baton is in your hands now. I think I just tripped over my own foot. We have to move forward and smile.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Is everything OK for you and your clan Doro? You have been rather cryptic in your posting lately. We are family here brother and if you need anything...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited May 2019
    LIFE is a gift and we should cherish it and smile every moment that we appreciate it and others lives we're touched in a good way by.

Think about good times while the sad times are front and center and it will ease the pain and sorrow somewhat.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2019
    John, I’m fine but thanks for asking honcho. 🤔🤔😀 sometimes I pontificate more than my endless stream of goat ****. I’m just tired, no worries. It’s appreciated you noticed.

I am mainly posting as a thought. A handful of us get sentimental when we follow the new hardcore. Like you folks, Polk stuff in general. It’s my desire to watch you all revive what’s been lost in our collective consciousness. I met Russman, Dion, F1Nut, George Grand, Tour2ma etc etc etc. HERE. Lifelong friendships happened in a simple go F yourself and go F your uncle...you’re a ****. It’s simply comradeship and dumb banter that made us laugh. I’m a firm believer that humility begats being weird.

My opinion is such but I’d fly in to hang with you folks any time. The groundwork is there, turn it up to 11. It’s old Polkies and would like to see the close bonds made previously.
    You never know how bonds are created. It’s random. Rock on and invite me when you fellow nerds get assembled. 🤔🤔😀

d
    Post edited by dorokusai on
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Polk fests were great for sure, this place has changed for sure, but still good people
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Well said Mark,, I first met Reelrouble when he hosted a PF,,along with Hoosier21,Trietz,Tour2ma,F1,Sal, and many more,, oh yeah,,some kid by the name of Trey,,, such good times we had ,, then there was the woodshed rig,, that’s another story for another time
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Ahhh yes, Ted. He had a way with the written word at times...lol. I keep up with Hoosier21 (Russ) and Anthony Mulford on Facebook. And Lou too.

Sal sort of went off the deep end.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Damn near forgot about Lou,, never forget the time we went on a run for something at TroyD’s PF,, the implements that fellow had under the seat,,, we were well armed needless to say!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Newbie here, but a long time Polk fan. I love going through the endless threads, long forgotten, following along, and can feel the special camaraderie. The banter, laughter, sharing of elation and personal broken heartedness, all of it. The emotion, and fanaticism of this hobby. In reading those posts, I can imagine myself at that moment, in the middle of it! Feeling your joy, and pain.

And, the learnings! Gleaning information, reading about your experiences, and getting smarter. Necroposting old threads just because that is where I'm at now! You guys have "been there, done that", and have guided me along my journey!

I'm just glad I found this place. Better late than never! Keep on brothers and sisters! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    dorokusai wrote: »
    ...because we get ragged on all the time.
    Why do people rag on Polk? What do they say?

I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    msg wrote: »
    SDA is an “effect”... fightin’ words right there. I can’t even repeat what they say about our tolerance for Russ.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    msg wrote: »
    I can’t even repeat what they say about our tolerance for Russ.

Kind of hard to blame them for that.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Ahhh yes, Ted. He had a way with the written word at times...lol. I keep up with Hoosier21 (Russ) and Anthony Mulford on Facebook. And Lou too.

H9

Any of these guys ever give an inkling why they don't hang here anymore, or if they'll ever come back? Just curious.
    It's hard to believe that PolkFest '08 at HQ was so long ago, the guys you mention were all there IIRC. And many others who also just faded away for whatever reason.
    I'm glad this place keeps going though, too much good info and camaraderie to let go to waste.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • verb

H9

I remember reading about Sal! Wasn't he the electric vehicle guy? IIRC! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    verb wrote: »

H9

I remember reading about Sal! Wasn't he the electric vehicle guy? IIRC! :smile:

yes and he went off the deep end.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    edited May 2019
    just wht txt
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    Some of the blame for the car audio side drying up is that almost nobody upgrades their car sound anymore due to people like Dave designing cars in such a way that the aftermarket lost their ability to adapt.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2019
    Who is this guy again?

Good Stuff people! Good to see you Posting again Mark! found such a bound when I went South to Texas for the get together's!

Love the old picks I saw that older Polkies posted, with Jesse, George and Carl and john and several others many others, the old polkies getting together s started the ball rolling and like Mark mention it is cool that many here are keepingt he ball rolling! WTG DUDE's!

the way the old Polkies policed the forum to keep it right! that was so important.

There is still a lot of good people on the forum to make it keep working.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • verb
    Some of the blame for the car audio side drying up is that almost nobody upgrades their car sound anymore due to people like Dave designing cars in such a way that the aftermarket lost their ability to adapt.

Ouch! Now that hurt a bit! :smile:
  • nooshinjohn
    It should... you single-handedly killed the car audio business. :p

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited May 2019
    Modern car stereos, even standard (not premium option) systems, are MUCH better than what used to come standard in vehicles from the 1990-2005 era.

I think that aspect is more relevant in terms of the decreased desire to upgrade the factory stereo, versus how they also tend to be more implemented with GPS/HVAC systems these days. There's always dash kits, wiring harness adapters, steering wheel control adapters, etc. for those who absolutely must go aftermarket with their car stereo. The aftermarket did not "lose their ability to adapt".
  • nooshinjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Modern car stereos, even standard (not premium option) systems, are MUCH better than what used to come standard in vehicles from the 1990-2005 era.

I think that aspect is more relevant in terms of the decreased desire to upgrade the factory stereo, versus how they also tend to be more implemented with GPS/HVAC systems these days. There's always dash kits, wiring harness adapters, steering wheel control adapters, etc. for those who absolutely must go aftermarket with their car stereo. The aftermarket did not "lose their ability to adapt".

The biggest issue is the integration of everything through a touch screen, and that modern vehicle electrical architecture is proprietary and not made available to the aftermarket. Electrical schemes these days can use a single wire to send data for both a window motor and a speaker at the same time. They have become so complex that the aftermarket has merged with the OEM to supply systems up front rather than installed later. Levinson, Meridian, Burmester, Bose, HK and others have all gone that route.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Electrical schemes these days can use a single wire to send data for both a window motor and a speaker at the same time.

Can you tell me what car company does this so I can be sure to never purchase a vehicle from them?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Electrical schemes these days can use a single wire to send data for both a window motor and a speaker at the same time.

Can you tell me what car company does this so I can be sure to never purchase a vehicle from them?

BMW has been doing this for more than a decade now, and I believe most manufacturers do some of this now. Jaguar, for decades, has employed a low-voltage architecture that has many systems running at 5.5 volts, and others in millivolts. As cars have gotten more sophisticated with computers and the like, many manufacturers use low and ultra-low voltage setups to allow the computers to talk with each other. It gets dang near impossible for aftermarket to function in that environment, and given that every manufacturer I know will void your warranty on the entire vehicle for tampering with their electrical systems in any way, aftermarket is virtually done for new cars.

There is also a coded technology referred to as "multiplexing", which sends a pulsed electrical signal that can only be read by the computer or device that signal is meant for. This allows multiple functions to be carried out by a single wire. Even a Hyundai can do this today...

Now, if you are upgrading that 1970 Monte Carlo... knock yourself out.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481

Now, if you are upgrading that 1970 Monte Carlo... knock yourself out.

Yea that radio thing would've been .......
    Wait what were we talking bout?

Oh yea that 1970 Monte Carlo big block purring ... yea yea thats it!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Well said Mark,, I first met Reelrouble when he hosted a PF,,along with Hoosier21,Trietz,Tour2ma,F1,Sal, and many more,, oh yeah,,some kid by the name of Trey,,, such good times we had ,, then there was the woodshed rig,, that’s another story for another time

I was at Ted's for that Polkfest. Probably the high water mark for the Forum were those days.

Carl