Pretty old amplifier with LSi25

2»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited June 2010
    The Yamaha CA1000 is 25wpc Class A @ 8ohm....90wpc Class A/B @ 8ohm. Although true ratings are much lower in regards to Class A operation.

I believe this has been mentioned before but most of your listening will be in the Class A area anyways since wpc are only part of how an amplifier works and translates music.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited June 2010
    And here's the chassis for a Parasound A21. In addition to the class A, A/B operation, it's rated at 400 watts into 4 ohms.

a21_angle_big.jpg
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited June 2010
    The A21 is probably around $1300 used. And the A21 is Parasound's top of the line stereo amp. There are much cheaper options out there from Parasound and others. So there are options to look into if you're looking for something less vintage on a budget that can drive an LSi tower. You don't have to start your comparisons at $3000 and above. But if you're happy with your Yamaha, it's money saved. Trust your ears on your own gear.
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited June 2010
    With regards to the OP:

I believe the Yamaha would screw up the pre-amplifier stage long before you ran out of dynamic head room. I concur however that most of the golden age stereo components stand up very well, including the one mentioned. I consider the LSi speakers on the warm side of neutral and when matched with neutral electronics (my best results were with a Krell) they can really sing. I wouldn't worry too much about wattage ratings now. There are many of people who throw numbers out with regards to wattage and have an AVR running their front ends...

I would strongly recommend trying to listen to a pair of LSi25's (I think the 15's are more rounded) before opting to spend any coin. If you were to think about purchasing the speakers and then upgrading the amplifier I would suggest an integrated amplifier as big muscular power amplifiers that are usually recommended only further amplify a terrible pre-amplified signal.
  • I know more than all of you here, I am an electro-mechanical- robotics-engineer & audiophile for 23 years. To sum it all up you do not have to pay $3,000 for an amp to drive LSI25 towers. all you need is a class D3 amp built into a receiver. And I suggest at $500.00-$1000.00 you can get a 7.2 to 9.2 class D,3 4ohm stable at 165 watts peak and 120 rms with plenty of dynamic headroom. Class A amps are very good but if you do not have the coin or a ML or Carver Go with Pioneer Elete series. I will not buy anything else, no clipping thd .002% at any volume.
    I have 2 sets of Lsi25's 2 sets of Lsic'c. 2 sets of atmos 80FXLs in ceiling, Mirage BPS-400 Pioneer Elete SC-81 , mirage omni sides. and more....
  • If your LSi 25 amp is dead get it fixed no matter what, also run LFE input to the amp (single RCA cable) instead of line level you can control DB slope accurately with the pioneer APP from your phone. In addition set the LSI25 amp to 60%gain and the lowest cut off frequency (turn to the left)... <>
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I know more than all of you here, I am an electro-mechanical- robotics-engineer & audiophile for 23 years. To sum it all up you do not have to pay $3,000 for an amp to drive LSI25 towers. all you need is a class D3 amp built into a receiver. And I suggest at $500.00-$1000.00 you can get a 7.2 to 9.2 class D,3 4ohm stable at 165 watts peak and 120 rms with plenty of dynamic headroom. Class A amps are very good but if you do not have the coin or a ML or Carver Go with Pioneer Elete series. I will not buy anything else, no clipping thd .002% at any volume.
    I have 2 sets of Lsi25's 2 sets of Lsic'c. 2 sets of atmos 80FXLs in ceiling, Mirage BPS-400 Pioneer Elete SC-81 , mirage omni sides. and more....

Thank god you came here to save us oh holy one......

But with all that intelligence your spelling is poor

Pioneer Elite ....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited May 2019
    I know more than all of you here,

Really? Cool! So tell us. What does s e m e n taste like?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Especially ten year old s e m e n
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I know more than all of you here, I am an electro-mechanical- robotics-engineer & audiophile for 23 years. To sum it all up you do not have to pay $3,000 for an amp to drive LSI25 towers. all you need is a class D3 amp built into a receiver. And I suggest at $500.00-$1000.00 you can get a 7.2 to 9.2 class D,3 4ohm stable at 165 watts peak and 120 rms with plenty of dynamic headroom. Class A amps are very good but if you do not have the coin or a ML or Carver Go with Pioneer Elete series. I will not buy anything else, no clipping thd .002% at any volume.

Wow dude, you may be a whiz kid at Robotics, but when it comes to audio, you haven't learned much in 23 years.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • _nerd
    _nerd Posts: 54
    I know more than all of you here...

f38ismbvvmc7.gif
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited May 2019
    The yammy is free? Go try it. Then decide.

I've got the CA800 and it runs hotter than hell in class A but has no issues doing so, just leave some room around it to vent. No, you'll not get earth shattering volume in class A but I don't think that was your requirement either so I'm not sure why all the issues with class A here.

I've recapped these and set the bias on both the A/B and A settings so I have some direct experience with this.

Ratings on gear from that era were conservative. These are the specs from the manual.

As you can see the load impedance is 4 ohm through 16 ohm but 4 ohm should only be used in the B class mode. Simply follow the manuals specifications, try it and see if you like it.

3ctvavoee70t.png
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire