How do you deal with component heat?

2»

Comments

• cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited May 2019
    @F1nut I agree, not very smart... even worse if it’s a turntable, it sits 2” above the amp but it’s enough to raise the temperature ~5celcius degreed. One fan running slow in between helps air circulation and dissipates the extra heat.

dedwlltpi39q.jpeg
    9ux3lppz2cm8.jpeg
    wh3yiitzw6xm.jpeg

I have to figure where to place the turntable, not sure how.

@codycatalist oh man I wish, I could live with that if I wasn’t too OCD :)

3sj4lepafwf2.jpeg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    They sell wall mounted turntable shelves.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkhc
    dkhc Posts: 15
    I purchased an AC Infinity T9 to put on top of my marantz 7013. Both will be on the top shelf inside a closed media cabinet (glass door) with a large vent hole on the floor of the cabinet and vent slits through the top of the cabinet. Would you recommend adding an AC Infinity S9 in that bottom vent hole (already cut to fit the S9) to draw cold air in or is the T9 working alone enough? There will be a panny 820 BluRay player and a standard cable box on the bottom shelf. Both shelves aren't full depth so air can flow in front and behind. I was also considering building a hidden mount for a furnace filter under the cabinet to control dust but may be over doing it.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Give it space. Mr John Curl gave me advice on biasing my HCA-1000A higher than Parasound did from production based on temperature. In my cabinet with 2 inches above the amp, it has burning hot. I have it sitting alone with several inches above and it is happy. I could probably bias even higher.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    space plus convection (heat rises, as they say), unless the designer/manufacturer packed too much stuff into too little volume -- cf. every HT receiver. ever. ;)

47442002492_7fcb0d2943_b.jpgDSC_4262 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • dkhc
    dkhc Posts: 15
    I'm guessing active cooling negates the need for extra space for natural convection. My question was whether I need to actively draw in cool air into the cabinet or is an active exhaust with passive intake sufficient. Regardless, I picked up the AC Infinity S9 to act as an active intake. It can be connected/controlled by my existing T9's thermostats. I figure it's better safe than sorry. Also added air filters in front of the intake to control dust.
  • My Denon receiver was getting extremely hot to the point of frying eggs, until I bought this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011SY1XMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Set the fans on the sides sucking out the air, or on top, or one of each. Figure out what works for your setup. Very versatile, and you can use on one or two pieces of equipment.

They have their own power supply (unlike other fans that can plug into USB ports, which is really bad because fans/motors are notoriously bad on their initial power spikes - you wouldn't want that type of fan running on anything you care about!).

Plug into one of the receiver's triggers, and they only run when it's on. Perfect. Quiet, and now my Denon is ice cold to the touch.
  • F1nut
    If it ain't hot it ain't worth squat.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »

Class A, all the way!

B)

16187794927_269abfcf2c_b.jpgDSC_0132 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Class A, all the way!

B)

Haha, more efficient than my house radiators.
    n9r2benae8gl.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    ^^^ FWIW, the bulb (envelope) temperature of a 2A3 can run up to 200 degrees C (per the specs in the tube manuals for power output tubes -- and HV rectifiers). That said, yeah, heatsinks at 57-ish degrees C mean a lot of power being dissipated as heat :#

As to efficiency -- yeah, probably. As I recall, that amp only draws about 100 watts (per a "Kill-A-Watt" meter) for 2 x 3.5 watts output at "hifi" levels of HD (less than 10%).

Which really ain't bad at all ;)

B)

11371373575_24a98bc30b_c.jpgDSC_0001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • F1nut
    cortico wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Class A, all the way!

B)

Haha, more efficient than my house radiators.
    n9r2benae8gl.jpg

The amp would run cooler if it didn't have something sitting on it.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL. Details, details.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • This is what I use on my B&K & Denon X4100

c3v4b2obj9yb.jpeg

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)