Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 Lives again....

One of the biggest and most powerful steam locomotives in history is coming back to life: Union Pacific’s Big Boy.

Big Boy weighs in at 600 tons, is 132 feet long, and can move at up to 80 mph while pulling a fully loaded freight train with the force of about 7,000 hp. Union Pacific introduced the first of 25 of these steam locomotives in 1941 and retired them from active service in July 1959. Several 4-8-8-4 locomotives later went to museums around the United States for preservation. In 2013, Union Pacific bought back Big Boy No. 4014 from a museum in Pomona, Calif., to restore and operate. The restoration in 2019 is timed to celebrate the completion of the first Transcontinental Railroad in 1869. I am so happy to see history like this come back to life.... I will make a pointy of doing what I can to take my son to see her in person when the opportunity comes around.
https://youtu.be/y6ihuIryuLk
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very cool! Big rail fan here! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thanks. Great that it’s been restored. My rail fan son has been giving me updates for the last several months.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    We are going to see this roll in to Ogden, UT Wednesday morning (about 15mins north of us).

Can’t wait...:-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    We have freight trains that switch tracks in the middle of our town and I curse those bastardly contraptions because it's usually a 10 minute delay and always when I'm in a hurry. Now if Big Boy ever rolled through......no cussing and he can take all the time he wants. Steam trains are awesome.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Me too. Love trains.
    Thank You for posting John.
  • daddyjt
    There is a HUGE celebration planned for this weekend in downtown Ogden to mark the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad.

The link below details the celebration, and has a “tracker”, so you can follow BigBoy’s progress. I’m going to drive up to the stop in Morgan, to try and avoid the crowds in Ogden. We will be going to the celebration this weekend, but tomorrow is about hearing and FEELING it in operation on the rails...

Will definitely share photos:-)

https://kjzz.com/news/local/big-boy-locomotive-arrives-in-utah-for-150th-anniversary-of-transcontinental-railroad
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Take some of those little yellow foam earplugs.... that girl can get LOUD.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Foamers...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Awesome.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • daddyjt
    Take some of those little yellow foam earplugs.... that girl can get LOUD.

That’s a really good call - thank you, I wouldn’t have thought of that.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Love the old steam locomotives. My grandfather was a big rail buff, and we visited more vintage railroads than I can recall. Vids like this bring back a bunch of good memories. Might have to revisit some of those old spots in the near future.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    VERY cool John - thanks for posting! Brings back fond memories of my hometown, Scranton, PA. In the early 1980s, when Steamtown National Historic site opened, I remember them bringing a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy to the park. 4012 still resides at the museum! Glad to see its sibling being restored to run again.

https://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/bigboy4012.htm
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited May 2019
    Why is there a second steam engine and a diesel in the videos?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    The two steamers are going to Ogden for the Golden Spike ceremonies, and I would assume any time you send nearly 100 year old heavy iron out into the wild, it is a good idea to have a backup plan.

• F1nut
    LOL yeah ok, I thought the diesel was likely a back up plan.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    The diesel locomotive is primarily used for dynamic braking as the group comes down steep grades, as well as power back up in case of mechanical failure, as John points out.

The rail cars haul paying passengers for a leg of the tour - I though that might be cool, until I saw the price - 3-5 THOUSAND dollars...!

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Stunning photography
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    He drives more miles in a year chasing trains to photograph than I do in 3. he is a true train nut.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Apparently, we have a few ‘Sheldon Cooper’ clones, at least for trains, on this site. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    I appreciate anything that stretches the bounds of the human imagination... Ships, Steam Locomotives, Automobiles, and Aerospace. High-tech even, but only in the areas where it sets us free to achieve even greater things.

• F1nut
    Fess up Bud, we know you took the Big Boy powered train to California all those years ago.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    LOL. But it was disguised as a 71 VW Super Beetle, with a freaking cat for a passenger. Never drive cross country with a cat. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    The only train ride I ever had was a high school trip to NYC to visit the United Nations.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    daddyjt wrote: »
    The diesel locomotive is primarily used for dynamic braking as the group comes down steep grades, as well as power back up in case of mechanical failure, as John points out.

The rail cars haul paying passengers for a leg of the tour - I though that might be cool, until I saw the price - 3-5 THOUSAND dollars...!

I would guess the SD70ACe (if memory serves but could be wrong) would also help with the air brakes. FRA rules probably also have something to do with it. I never liked running those type of SD's...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    dolbyd,
    Thanks for those pictures. You made a great thread even better.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA