Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 Lives again....

Options
2»

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Big Boy just went by - in a word, awesome!

I’ll get photos out of my camera tonight and post:-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    I look forward to seeing them... I think a review is in order as well. I am curious about the sub harmonics as well as the midrange extension and placement of steam and smoke within the soundstage.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I miss this show as our local provider does not carry the channel:
    Rural Free Delivery (RFD) TV:
    uyc7cghjhjjc.png

2baaunk9c28x.png

https://www.rfdtv.com/
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    Awesome pics.
    The level of excitement from Cheyenne to Ogden is good for everyone involved with this amazing piece of our history.
    Thanks
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    She looks like one of those things that people can tell you all day long about how badass it is, but until you experience it for yourself, you just have no idea what they are talking about. Thanks for letting the rest of us live vicariously though you. Stunning pictures for sure.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Cool. I played the video through my stereo!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The Big Boy suffered a derailment of sorts today on her way back home. It occurred at slow speed, and I don’t know how it was even possible, but the second and third set of drive wheels powered by the second boiler came off the rails.... makes me wonder if the current rail infrastructure can even handle something of her enormous size any more.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    All fixed it seems.
    Driver axles Nos. 2 and 3 on the second engine of the articulated locomotive fell into the gauge as the engine entered the yard at the Washington Street underpass. The accident took place about 2:15 p.m.

The engine was moving slowly when the drivers came off the rails. The front engine, front truck, rear truck, and driver axles Nos. 1 and 4 all remained on the rails. The UP steam crew worked with local track forces to fix the track under the engine and bring the locomotive’s 68-inch drivers back onto the rails, which they accomplished about 5:20 p.m.

Crews placed wood blocking under the drivers to walk them back onto the rails. The diesel in the consist was used to provide traction for the entire passenger train, including 4-8-4 No. 844, which remained on the rails. The crew walked the locomotive backwards to a switch for the main line. Nos. 4014 and 844 returned to the main line and backed into the yard. That is how they accessed Rawlins on May 4 on the westbound leg. Today’s move was the first time No. 4014 used the switches at the west end of the Rawlins yard.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I was a train dispatcher a thousand lifetimes ago and found this thread very interesting.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    daddyjt, thanks for posting the pics.

Made the middle picture my desktop background to enjoy whenever.

Makes me wish I had not sold my American Flyer Train Set about 5 years ago. It arrived under the Christmas tree when I was in the second grade.

I used to travel in the NJ area and I met some train buffs while working at Mutual Benefit Life in Newark. I would stay over on Saturday's and went with them to various train clubs. I picked up several engines of the steam type.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Looks like Big Boy 4014 will be in Chicago this weekend...:-)

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/big-boy-worlds-oldest-locomotive-trnd/index.html
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    I caught a brief glimpse of it in West Chicago on Saturday afternoon as I was 25 miles into a 30-mile bike ride--a significant crowd was there to see it!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    https://www.wvik.org/post/big-boy-locomotive-stop-eastern-iowa#stream/0

Went through Clinton today 1/2 hour north of here just watched the local news coverage lots of people showed up. The Big Boy went on to Cedar Rapids for an overnight stay.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    Was fortunate enough to get to see the Big Boy multiple times as it passed through Iowa this month. Below is just a short cell-phone clip from it passing North through Elkhart, IA yesterday morning. Judging by the speed, they're looking forward to being back home.
    https://youtu.be/2MoFhUe1tz8
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Looks like she is fully sorted out and they are not afraid of being able to stop. I will get my chance to see her in October.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Options
    It's not the "Big Boy" but it is a big boy.
    zz0t4lmi55m5.jpg
    N&W 1218
    2-6-6-4
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • nooshinjohn
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The Challenger... nice! 4014 will be here on the 9th. I hope to see her next weekend.

*Edit... Challenger class was 4-6-6-4 and operated exclusively by UP.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Options
    The 1218 was built by N&W in Norfork for fast freight and passenger service. We visited the Virginia museum of transportation this morning.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • meledis
    meledis Posts: 22
    Options
    I love them, too!!! Pictures!

I have a big black male cat. He weighs about 18 pounds (not overweight). I named him Bigboy.
  • pablo_rodz
    Options
    I’m late to the game.... thanks for posting this. It looks like it will be coming to Houston in November. My 6 y/o will flip when he sees it.
    HT:
    Projector - JVC HD100, 100" Fixed Screen, A/V Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH, Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300-EX, BluRay - Sony PS3, (2) ADCOM GFA 555 Bridged, Speakers - LSi 15, LSi C, LSi FX, Sub - 12" M&K VX-1250.

Living Room:
    Schiit Saga, Parasound HCA-600, OPPO BDP-103D, LSi7