Outdoor speaker mounting - distance and height

Options
njw
njw Posts: 1
Hi. I have 2 pairs of atrium6's on the way. My application is an 800 square foot outdoor covered deck. The deck runs 36 feet along the house, and 22 feet off the house into yard. The first 14 feet (14x36) are covered with 11 foot hight ceiling.

My plan is horizontal mount on the house. I have no clue what I am doing - lots of internet research. How does this sound? Set a speaker in 3 feet from each edge and have a speaker every 10 feet. I was going to put them at 10 feet high. Running 14 gauge wire to a sonos amp. All of this is brand new to me. I was planning to alternate Left and Right and face the tweeters in on each pair.

Thanks.

Neil.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Got a drawing? It's hard for me to visualize what you're planning.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Options
    placement outdoors will always be a mystery as so many elements come into play.

1. seating postions
    2. open spaces (lack of walls)
    3. soild cover (roof/patio cover)
    4. Purpose (Goals, what are you trying to achive)

Outdoor/patio settings are mainly for background music, no sweet spot for real/critical listening. Bass is what suffers the most, due to the openness of space.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Based on your description, you've basically created 2 zones on the deck, covered & uncovered. You could mount the speakers on the house and focus each pair to the zone it's covering. Another alternative would be to mount them back to back on the structure that's separating the covered from uncovered areas so that again, one pair is focused on each area.

14 awg wire may be a bit small depending on the length of the run back to the amp.