Bubble wrap driver texture?!?!

Anyone else been ordering some legacy drivers? I've got 2 MW6511's now that BOTH have bubble wrapped texture to them. Not sure if I am the first to discover this problem or not...

Comments

• jimmylee123
    jimmylee123 Posts: 105
    I might add the bottom pic is the replacement for the top pic... lol
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Wow, that's a new one. I've seen them have a sort of orange peel texture before, but nothing like that. Almost looks like something got splattered on the cone before the sticky coating had a chance to set-up. Not sure if it would affect the sound, but the aesthetics would bother me. Personally, I'd return those.
  • jimmylee123
    They sent this other one out for free. Hoping it would fix the problem of the first one, obviously it's much worse. To be honest the first one didn't bother me, the 2nd one though... ehh that's a little iffy. Obviously I am not as much of a perfectionist as most in this hobby :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited April 2019
    Where did they come from? You need to call Polk CS and send them a picture of those if that is where they came from. I'm sure no one looked at the drivers before shipping and they may be oblivious to this.
    I have never seen that on the many drivers that i have seen
  • jimmylee123
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Where did they come from? You need to call Polk CS and send them a picture of those if that is where they came from. I'm sure no one looked at the drivers before shipping and they may be oblivious to this.
    I have never seen that on the many drivers that i have seen

Already on it Bruh, they came from Polk
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    Is it possible that is a protective film that can be peeled off?
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited April 2019
    It looks to me like there was bubble wrap placed on the paper doping before it had "hardened"...

Or it got warm enough to soften the doping and whatever was placed on it for transport left its imprint...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jimmylee123
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It looks to me like there was bubble wrap placed on the paper doping before it had "hardened"...

Or it got warm enough to soften the doping and whatever was placed on it for transport left its imprint...

That's exactly what I said to the CSR.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I thought my Usher drivers were ugly lol
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Ouch those look rough. Hopefully they are able to get you some nice LOOKING ones soon.

If you end up wanting to get rid of some of the ugly ones just let me know. I don't mind the looks personally...that is due to not having my grilles off.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Man those are fugly! Hard to tell from the pic's, but it almost looks like protective film!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    DaveHo wrote: »
    pic?

k54s493f4o9u.jpg
    06ee99wwd0sw.jpg

I'm sure you know this @jimmylee123 but it is worth repeating. You'll need to square up the screw holes you use so the rubber surround doesn't twist and tear the rubber surround. No rubber should be under a screw or touching screw head. Be very careful.
  • jimmylee123
    DaveHo wrote: »
    pic?

k54s493f4o9u.jpg
    06ee99wwd0sw.jpg

I'm sure you know this @jimmylee123 but it is worth repeating. You'll need to square up the screw holes you use so the rubber surround doesn't twist and tear the rubber surround. No rubber should be under a screw or touching screw head. Be very careful.

Thanks, I do know that :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2019
    I guess the legacy Polk drivers need to adopt the [plastic] worm proof technology from the fishing tackle box industry.
  • pitdogg2
    Wonder how many people even know that Doc ? I ruined a lot of baits and trays in my youth. lol
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    And that smell, oooh that smell. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Wonder how many people even know that Doc ? I ruined a lot of baits and trays in my youth. lol

ditto. :p

I remember the advent of worm proof tackle boxes -- pretty much equivalent to Gutenberg & the printing press. Pretty much.

B)

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited April 2019
    They must have changed the drivers. Last replacements I ordered did not have the sticky dope on them.
    Judicious use of a hair dryer on high, should melt the doping enough to remove the flaws.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • jimmylee123
    They must have changed the drivers. Last replacements I ordered did not have the sticky dope on them.
    Judicious use of a hair dryer on high, should melt the doping enough to remove the flaws.

I'll try that!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Agree with the hair dryer trick. It may be just enough heat to let the coating 'flow" a bit.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jimmylee123
    edited April 2019
    So this issue is now resolved, for me, at least. They finally sent me out a new driver, just got it, that had plastic covering the top. The previous drivers were wrapped in bubble wrap directly on top of the drivers - resulting in the textures. I'll be interested to hear if anyone else encounters this issue.

As far as a "fix" for these go. Polk was nice enough to send me out 3 drivers for the price of 1 essentially - all that is wrong with them is cosmetic issues, so I don't plan on fixing them at all. I will leave them as is and use them if I ever need to... This may have cost Polk some money, but guess what the next company I'll buy speakers again from? You guess it, Polk. Best customer support in the business.
  • pitdogg2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    ....but guess what the next company I'll buy speakers again from? You guess it, Polk. Best customer support in the business.
    Glad it worked out for you. Now if they could do the same for the soundbar issues, all would be right with the world.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Last time I ordered drivers they were just thrown in a box, loose, with bubble wrap around each driver. I'm pretty sure I posted on here how I was kind of disappointed with that. Mine didn't/don't have the sticky dope either. Years ago they each came in their separate boxes to protect them from damage...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me