Looking for DRILL BIT recommendations! :)

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited April 2019 in The Clubhouse
So -- in the past week, I managed to break a 3/32" and a 7/64" drill bit, drilling in very soft wood (fir). Realizing full well that a good mechanic doesn't blame his [or her] tools :) -- I don't usually break drill bits, so I am thinking that the bits in question (both branded "Ryobi") may be, shall we say, junk.

Would any of you fine folks be willing/able to recommend a specific brand of small twist drill bits (HSS or cobalt or titanium coated or whatever) of high/superior quality.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I used to recommend Vermont American but the last batch of them that I bought don't seem to be any better than the Hitachi branded bits I went through like a hot knife through butter.

Irwin, Black & Decker and Dewalt branded bits have been my recent go to for wood while the same brands' Cobalt steel offerings have been my choice for metals.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I have a project that's dead in the water 'til I replace one of those bits (for drilling pilot holes). :)
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    I have both Dewalt and Milwaukee. I prefer the Milwaukee slightly.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Drill Bits are expendable items, especially small ones. Just keep more on hand.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • mhardy6647
    decal wrote: »

gladly -- what brand would you suggest?

:)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I like Milwaukee bits for the drill and the drill driver.

Bosch bits are good too
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited April 2019
    I have an older set of Vermont at work that I keep in top shape, I feel they're the last of the good ones. Around the house I keep several sets of whatever is on sale. I've had decent luck with the ones from harbor freight for throw away. Bosch and Dewalt have exceeded my expectations.

Take that with 2 grains of salt.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    bz3mjbqjhiyq.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2019
    Wait, what?
    Owen Wilson makes drillbits?
    Do I have to buy the signature model?

Thanks, folks.
    B)

FWIW

I have a number of old (late 1980s) Vermont American US-made tools and bits etc. Like 'em a lot. As I recall, Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) in the Bay Area (aka Silicon Valley) carried 'em --although I might've gotten them at the local hardware store in Ayer, MA in our early days in the Bay State :) (i.e., early 1990s).

I assume that the brand was in some way related to the now long-gone history of the Vermont "upper valley" as a center for precision machining and hardware. Springfield, VT was a nexus of such industry; now, AFAIK, all that remains is the American Precision Museum in nearby Windsor, VT :(

https://www.americanprecision.org/
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Drill Hog® USA 21 Pc Drill Bit Set Metal Hi-Molybdenum M7 MOLY Lifetime Warranty
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    decal wrote: »

gladly -- what brand would you suggest?

:)

For everyday work, Ryobi! ;) I rarely, or basically never, break even the smaller ones when using my press with clamped material. With the handheld drill, however, I do go though some, but not enough to make me think I need to spend more. There's a reason why the sets tend to include multiples of the smaller bits...
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited April 2019
    VERMONT AMERICAN ARE FU(KING FRAUDS!!!!!!
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Look for any HSS bit made in America. You might have to get your reading glasses out, take the bit out of the package, and read it. Any Japanese / European brand you find should be good too but they are even harder to find.

Unfortunately you can't go by any brand name sold in hardware stores anymore. And who knows when the accountants will make them change to some Chinese made junk in the near future. Anyone remember Craftsman?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    My two cents, anything from Harbor Freight should be approached as a one-shot deal. If you get more than that out of it consider it gravy.

My Black and Decker bits have served me well but they are pretty old so who knows what they are like now??? I did get a Black and Decker drill a year or so ago and there is a recall on it. I am not returning it though, I am gonna sue them when it blows my balls off.

At any rate, I try not to be a handy DYI guy anymore. I find breaking stuff easier and more satisfying.
  • Nesmith98
    Nesmith98 Posts: 213
    In the machine shop we use either Morse or Cleveland Twist Drill.

Here's a link to MSC for the Cleveland drill bit.....

https://mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Holemaking/Drilling-Drill-Bits/Metalworking-Multipurpose-Drill-Bits/Jobber-Length-Drill-Bits?navid=12106186#navid=12106186+4294951008+4288243005

It looks like Amazon has some Morse tools....
    https://amazon.com/stores/node/9684002011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Morse%20Cutting%20Tools&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_9684002011

Nachi from Japan are great too but harder to find.

Small drills like that are easy to break when using a hand drill.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I throw away Milwaukee & Bosch less often than others.
    But yes, the smaller ones are consumables.

I'm using them as a homeowner/hobbyist. Not a pro.
  • mhardy6647
    I mean, yeah, I've broken bits before, but not usually without due cause (or old, well worn bits) -- this was two, from the same set, in three days. That is new to me.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have drill a trillion hole in my career in Aircraft. I spent most of my time in the Rout Cell but now I was transfer to take over the drill cell by myself after my buddy Mi Lu retired. but all I ever have drilled was Aluminium or Steel. never wood.
    I could send you my 3/32 bits but have no idea what brand they are or how they would handle wood!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    DeWalt is my brand as of late. On occasion, some of the closeout stores (Big Lots, et., al) will have em, I usually snag em all up! And yes, I have spares! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @voltz Darryl, you use them number bits that no one else uses. Fractions of a nonexistent number. Rock on dude, some of my friends built L-1011's and they never fell from the sky, go figure? My friends fell off cliffs and stuff though.
  • voltz
    edited April 2019
    I have ever bit and reamer you could ever imagine. a reamer has a flat end a Dreamer has a pointed in so you can use it to drill out smaller hole and the reamer has to have a hole near the size of the reamer.

you should see my tool box..it is so heavy it will take two people to move it :p and it has wheels on it and I can't move it by myself
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• verb
    voltz wrote: »
    I have ever bit and reamer you could ever imagine. a reamer has a flat end a Dreamer has a pointed in so you can use it to drill out smaller hole and the reamer has to have a hole near the size of the reamer.

you should see my tool box..it is so heavy it will take two people to move it :p and it has wheels on it and I can't move it by myself

Pic's bro! Let's check it out! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • voltz
    edited April 2019
    If I take a pic at work and it shows up on social media I can get walked out. Number#1 rule at work "NO PIC"S Textron/Cessna has fired dummies for this.

I am now the senior employee in the Fab cell and close to retirement. we make the parts that go on the plane, we don't do any assembly.

• verb
    voltz wrote: »
    If I take a pic at work and it shows up on social media I can get walked out. Number#1 rule at work "NO PIC"S Textron/Cessna has fired dummies for this.

Oh gotcha! Same here at my work, and when I worked at Pratt & Whitney!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I'll take cobalt as my preferred drill bit. I still have a tri-dex of hss drill bits of extreme quality from an aerospace factory I worked at in the 70's. I even have a few carbide bits left. Modern cobalts easily out do these older bits. FWIW if you're breaking bits in fir I'm thinking you need a steadier hand rather than better bits.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Hardy breaking bits...Now i can die a happy man!!

Like already mentioned, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Rigid, Bosch, hell even Ryobi.
    For drilling 2x stock, they will all suffice.

Drill bits break. It's what they do. Kind of like concrete will always be grey and crack.
    You can minimize breaks by keeping the drill level ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Whichever alloy the Craftsman Cobalts from @ 10 years ago is the beeswax for me. Never broke a single one and have resharpened a few times. Cut through stainless like butter. Other Cobalts Ive tried from dewalt and others do not last. Black and Decker is junk for sure.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Triumph twist drills or Champion are the better ones.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)