Connect DAC to preamp and headphone amp simultaneously

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
I'm feeling stupid, so I'm reaching out for help! I'm trying to figure out how to have my computer's DAC connected to both my preamp and a headphone amp at the same time.

The back of the DAC has your standard L & R RCA outputs, which is currently connected to the preamp using a RCA to 3.5mm female cable, since the preamp's input is a male 3.5mm connector. (2.1 powered desktop speakers, designed to be plugged into a computer.)

Ugreen-RCA-Cable-2-RCA-Male-to-Female-3-5mm-Jack-Adapter-Aduio-Cable-Aux-Cable.jpg_640x640.jpg

I would like to be able to connect the DAC to both the speaker preamp, and a headphone amp that has a standard L & R RCA input, so that I don't have to physically disconnect the preamp, and connect the headphone amp to the DAC using a cable like this every time which is what I have been doing I want to listen to headphones.

9081800-2.jpg

What's the best way to have the output of the DAC hooked up simultaneously to two destinations as I described? Preferably without adding too many adapters in the signal path!

Comments

• Clipdat
    edited April 2019
    Another forum recommended using these on the back of the DAC:

41EQQXMEGTL.jpg

Reviews warn of a noticeable decrease in sound quality.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Internal DAC? Is USB out an option?
  • Clipdat
    It's an external DAC connected with USB.
  • kharp1
    Any splitter you use will probably degrade the signal significantly. If you have no other output, other than the one USB , there may be no other option than splitting or switching.
  • Clipdat
    Ah, I see what you meant earlier. Using the computer's built in DAC to go straight to the headphone amp, leaving the USB DAC connected to the powered speakers.

That's certainly an option, although I'm not a huge fan of the sound of the built in DAC on this motherboard. Despite claims of it being "good".
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I got a neat little DAC that has a headphone out, it's that Pro-Ject Pre Box thingy. I never tried it with cans. I forgot about it when I got the Cambridge streamer. I can't remember when I listened to cans it that room. I use an Ifi micro for cans in the other room and it's cool for me, I am not very demanding when I want to tune in and drop out.

What was the question?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Clipdat wrote: »

41EQQXMEGTL.jpg

I was looking at those for my Bottlehead since it only has one set of RCA outputs. Interesting that they claim degradation of sound quality. Got me thinking as to why? Hmmm.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kharp1
    verb wrote: »

41EQQXMEGTL.jpg

I was looking at those for my Bottlehead since it only has one set of RCA outputs. Interesting that they claim degradation of sound quality. Got me thinking as to why? Hmmm.

Ohms law.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    How about using a Schiit SYS as a selector switch. A new one is $49. I think it can be used with signals reversed
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Clipdat
    I'd rather just manually swap cables versus giving any money to Schiit, or using any of their products whatsoever.
  • kharp1
    I'd rather just manually swap cables versus giving any money to Schiit, or using any of their products whatsoever.

What happened? I thought you were a fan of Schiit?
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2019
    Nothing happened, I'm just not interested in owning any of their gear moving forward.