Cambridge Audio 851N

2»

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited April 2019
    Have you been living under a rock Johnny? There are no mods. No one can delete a post much less a thread...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Have you been living under a rock Johnny? There are no mods. No one can delete a post much less a thread...

Living under a Rock?? Indeed I have and born under a bad sign as well. I live to Rock. And hope we get someone that can do even a fraction of what Ken did!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Living under a Rock?? Indeed I have and born under a bad sign as well. I live to Rock. And hope we get someone that can do even a fraction of what Ken did!

Then why did you ask for the thread to be deleted? Who exactly is going to do that?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tophatjohnny
    Settle down
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 627
    After too much research in the next step up with Cambridge (which I now know is not for me) and not enough real interest here, allow me to say that at this time I am holding on to the 851N. I will repost when I know fur sure which way I am going but for now this baby is off the market. Thanks for the kind comments and the nice messages. It's all good.

THJ

what about the next step up is not for you, if I may ask.. Maybe a PM...
  • rabbitat
    rabbitat Posts: 7
    Top hat johnny. You sir are a complete ****. I don't even know why I feel compelled to retort, but I will. All the groups Ive ever belonged to, be it Datsun z club, BMW, Audi, Honda and Kawasaki motorcycles,Klipsch, and various other hi-fi, you name it, I e never been treated in the manner which I have in the three days since joining this group. Should I have offered to suck everyone's **** before conversing? I came here on a members referral, despite him telling me that there would be lots of people like you and the others that ripped me a new **** for reaching out to wtb posters, and going through loopholes. I came here to sell my lsi9 to fund a new dac. I was surprised to see a Cambridge, as it was in fact the front runner. Just because yours is more expensive than the cxn v2, it doesn't make it better for my application. After I responded to your ad, I did more research, and concluded that I would not be Pershing your model, and likely not even a Cambridge at all. Naim is where it's at. You people need to stop circle jerking each other and remember that every one of you were new to this group at one time. Get over yourselves.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2019
    rabbitat wrote: »
    Top hat johnny. You sir are a complete ****. I don't even know why I feel compelled to retort, but I will. All the groups Ive ever belonged to, be it Datsun z club, BMW, Audi, Honda and Kawasaki motorcycles,Klipsch, and various other hi-fi, you name it, I e never been treated in the manner which I have in the three days since joining this group. Should I have offered to suck everyone's **** before conversing? I came here on a members referral, despite him telling me that there would be lots of people like you and the others that ripped me a new **** for reaching out to wtb posters, and going through loopholes. I came here to sell my lsi9 to fund a new dac. I was surprised to see a Cambridge, as it was in fact the front runner. Just because yours is more expensive than the cxn v2, it doesn't make it better for my application. After I responded to your ad, I did more research, and concluded that I would not be Pershing your model, and likely not even a Cambridge at all. Naim is where it's at. You people need to stop circle jerking each other and remember that every one of you were new to this group at one time. Get over yourselves.

LOL. Bye-bye
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rabbitat
    rabbitat Posts: 7
    Fwiw. I did t even bother reading your entire response. Moderator, please delete my account.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited April 2019
    Go cry elsewhere.

rabbitat wrote: »
    I see it's off the market. I'll be in the market for something in the next week. I was considering the cxn v1 or v2. Would this be a significant improvement? If so, in what ways? Thanks.

Perhaps you missed this part in his first post, otherwise maybe you wouldn't have started bringing up other models and wanting us to spoon feed you information in a FS thread:
    Any questions please in a PM.as not to make this a conversation thread.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited April 2019
    Can I get a moderator on aisle #9 😂 😂

FWIW, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Naim N272
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    What just happened here? Anyways, I'm in. What are we buying? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tophatjohnny
    We dodged A bunny hoppin' ****!
  • verb
    Been following this thread, very interesting your journey @tophatjohnny . Got me thinking about your Cambridge, and I gotta tell ya, was so close to pulling the trigger!

Interesting comments on the Edge. Was looking at that baby too, but as always the collective minds here sort through the details/hype/you name it, and provide good advice.

Standing down on the Edge too! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    We dodged A bunny hoppin' ****!

I was reminded of when I first joined CP. Not afraid to ask the questions, or know Schiit about protocol, getting spanked a few times. Gotta have some thick skin, and be ready to give it back!

Banter is part of the fun, IMO! :smile:
  • tophatjohnny
    edited April 2019
    verb wrote: »
    Been following this thread, very interesting your journey @tophatjohnny . Got me thinking about your Cambridge, and I gotta tell ya, was so close to pulling the trigger!

Interesting comments on the Edge. Was looking at that baby too, but as always the collective minds here sort through the details/hype/you name it, and provide good advice.

Standing down on the Edge too! :smile:

By all means..don't stand down on my account. The 851N is a slamming unit. I was just after (and I guess I still am) an even more slamming unit without breaking my budget. For a grand you this would be an amazing grab. I'm just not letting it go until I find out how many more grands I'll need to gather up for what ever unit I decide to switch over to. No rush here but I am looking and reading. The 851N is a mighty fine player. Hope that helps Verb??
    Post edited by tophatjohnny on
  • verb
    Of course brother! Got my eyes on a silver 851N right now! :smile:
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    John, I’m sleeping much better knowing that you are keeping this. I was wrestling with my decision.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Sorry but this thread has some good folks on it and I’m curious on the consensus :

If spending slightly more for a streamer, what would be the best choice up from the 851n?
    I love the auralic g series streamers but they don’t have balanced outputs and I want that. The other model that have is the Altair and has the features I like Except the color front screen. I wonder if this is a silly point for me to focus on. The other one that’s not out yet is the proposed PS Audio one (not sure of the model #)
  • tophatjohnny
    John, I’m sleeping much better knowing that you are keeping this. I was wrestling with my decision.

Keeping it till I'm ready to get the new one.😂