Old to the world but new to me

Geoff4rfc
Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
Got a great deal from AC4L, getting installed this weekend.

t7m7zlwopboz.jpg
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice! :smile: Looks like this weekend is gonna be a lot of fun!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    So.... I see two sub outs..... those Epiks finally getting unboxed?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Geoff4rfc
    So.... I see two sub outs..... those Epiks finally getting unboxed?

Those Epiks would love to play, but...….sadly, no.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I too have an Epik Empire. Brand new still in box, never unboxed. I bought it the first week they were announced. I'm guessing it should be okay if stored at normal indoor temp. and low humidity. @Geoff4rfc have you ever used yours? I've read of amp failure issues. But others have said as long as you don't turn it way up you should be okay. Thank you.
  • Geoff4rfc
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    I too have an Epik Empire. Brand new still in box, never unboxed. I bought it the first week they were announced. I'm guessing it should be okay if stored at normal indoor temp. and low humidity. @Geoff4rfc have you ever used yours? I've read of amp failure issues. But others have said as long as you don't turn it way up you should be okay. Thank you.

Yes indeed! Both of mine have been in full swing and produced very impressive results. Both have had their amps replaced. The first one lasted just under a year, the second one got replaced in the first week. Neither of mine were turned up very much.

The amp failure was a common occurrence, which I believe was the reason Chad folded his tents, he was replacing the failed amps with better amps at no additional charge to the purchaser...…..that was a lot of amps......

• aprazer402
    Thank you so much for the reply. I've enjoyed your racing posts. Well it sounds like I can expect an amp failure as mine was probably one of the early ones made. I haven't looked at any other forums lately for advice regarding replacements because mine is still unused and will probably remain that way for some time. Maybe this Chad fellow will resurface with another audio firm and have a simple solution. But in this hobby simple solutions can get ugly or simply be not feasible. I can always sell it down the road. It's too big for a boat anchor, it would sink the boat. Thanks again. :)
  • Geoff4rfc
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the reply. I've enjoyed your racing posts. Well it sounds like I can expect an amp failure as mine was probably one of the early ones made. I haven't looked at any other forums lately for advice regarding replacements because mine is still unused and will probably remain that way for some time. Maybe this Chad fellow will resurface with another audio firm and have a simple solution. But in this hobby simple solutions can get ugly or simply be not feasible. I can always sell it down the road. It's too big for a boat anchor, it would sink the boat. Thanks again. :)

Thanks for the kind words! Too bad you're unable to take advantage of it, they are pretty decent subs! If you end up keeping it and run into trouble, replacing the amp is pretty straight forward. Once you have the replacement, it's just two wires, snip, strip and splice :)

• aprazer402
    That's good to know. I thought there would be issues with getting the size right to fit the opening... I'll ask for help again when needed. That's what this forum is about. Thank you again.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Pre install prep......just 8 caps short of complete....

lmqal176irr0.jpg

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    That's a real beaute, Geoff. I don't think I knew Onkyo made processor-only units. I've always liked Onkyo, but only ever had stereo receivers and never managed to land one of the big AVRs. If/when my current processor kicks it, I'll have a look at something like this. Pretty cool, and looks very capable.

Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    @aprazer402

I’ve seen folks rewire it so you can hook it up to a pro amp for power.

And if you’re thinking of your offloading it, where do you live lol

@msg

You gotta be careful with those units. They stopped using Audyssey recently and were using their own in house EQ which I know little about.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • aprazer402
    @aprazer402

I’ve seen folks rewire it so you can hook it up to a pro amp for power.

And if you’re thinking of your offloading it, where do you live lol

@msg

You gotta be careful with those units. They stopped using Audyssey recently and were using their own in house EQ which I know little about.

Not ready to part with it yet. Omaha, NE. Just a tad over 600 miles from Indy. :)
  • EndersShadow
    Yup lol...... too far :smile:

If you need help with the wiring to hook up a pro amp let me know.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited April 2019
    Good stuff that. I have the Onkyo equivalent.
    If you want to get HDradio you can use the U-port and hook up an Onkyo HDradio tuner module. Good luck trying to find one though. I LOVE HDradio!
    Also be mindful of the HDMI board and audio chip issues that these units have had in the past. Onkyo has a free fix for the audio chip. Not sure about the HDMI board though.
    I had an Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre/pro that had the board issue and Onkyo replaced it with a PR-SC5509 for free when they couldn't get the parts in a timely manner, even though the unit was just out of warranty (and I had purchased it from a4l like you did)
    The audio chip went down on my 5509 and Onkyo fixed it for free. You have to ship it to them do do that though. No charge for any of that.
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited April 2019
    msg wrote: »
    That's a real beaute, Geoff. I don't think I knew Onkyo made processor-only units. I've always liked Onkyo, but only ever had stereo receivers and never managed to land one of the big AVRs. If/when my current processor kicks it, I'll have a look at something like this. Pretty cool, and looks very capable.

Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Thanks brother, by the way, it's an Integra, the glorified Onkyo :smile:

So far so good, using one RCA since one of my 7 Balanced I.C's were too short. Using shielded, 16 gauge shielded copper conductors with gold plated connectors on the Bal. XLR's.

Impressed with the sound, MultEQXT32 with this one like my DTR70.4, edges it out on sound, about the same on P.Q.

Had some handshake issues at first during initial set up they finally cleared!
    Good stuff that. I have the Onkyo equivalent.
    Onkyo has a free fix for the audio chip. Not sure about the HDMI board though.
    I had an Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre/pro that had the board issue and Onkyo replaced it with a PR-SC5509 for free when they couldn't get the parts in a timely manner

Nice! Yeah, I still have an Onkyo TXNR807, also suffered HDMI woes, got an out of warranty fix for that, know the drill.

I purchased the extra warranty on this one so I should be good, plus I use a laptop fan on a few of my units that like to put out heat, keeps em cool to the touch.

• EndersShadow
    edited April 2019
    Got me thinking about replacing my Denon X4100w with a 80.3
  • msg
    Well, Geoff?!? How is it?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Found your other tred!
    I disabled signatures.