Antique Sound Labs in Verb's House!

Options
2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Some of the tube factories in the "Eastern Bloc", Russia (and China) never stopped making vacuum tubes. Some fell prey to war/civil strife (e.g., EI in the former Yugoslavia) and some fell prey, I'm sure, to the collapse of the USSR.

We are still seeing the marketing and sales of NOS tube stockpiles from the former USSR at this late date. Some of the cheapest Chinese tubes, I think, may be NOS from China, as well.

There are also optimistic if unlikely projects like this one

https://brimaruk.com/menugbvp/about-the-gbvp/

8hrxo1k1dvqw.png

and there are, perhaps, less savory business ventures(?):
    https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubes&n=277837&highlight=300B&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?searchtext=300B&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=2019-03-01&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=ALL

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    So, whats the next move Verb? Combine the two sets of speaker into one?
    That might help w/ the WAF...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Some of the tube factories in the "Eastern Bloc", Russia (and China) never stopped making vacuum tubes. Some fell prey to war/civil strife (e.g., EI in the former Yugoslavia) and some fell prey, I'm sure, to the collapse of the USSR.

We are still seeing the marketing and sales of NOS tube stockpiles from the former USSR at this late date. Some of the cheapest Chinese tubes, I think, may be NOS from China, as well.

There are also optimistic if unlikely projects like this one

https://brimaruk.com/menugbvp/about-the-gbvp/

8hrxo1k1dvqw.png

and there are, perhaps, less savory business ventures(?):
    https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubes&n=277837&highlight=300B&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?searchtext=300B&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=2019-03-01&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=ALL

So, consumers are essentially purchasing what's left of the NOS produced in the former Soviet Union? I.E., there's no current production of tubes anymore aside from what the British Valve Project will eventually be putting out?

Interesting how so much machinery ended up in Eastern Europe. Ei made great tubes, I had some of them back in '06 before the stock ran out. It would be cool to see a resurgence in tube production where quality is of the utmost importance.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Nope, not at all -- there is modern production in Eastern Europe, Russia, and China (at least)... but still a lot of NOS being (re)branded and sold. Nothing wrong with that -- until and unless the well dries up :|

I have a small box full of EI 12AX7s (from someone else's mammoth purchase of same) for use as somewhat better than plinker-grade replacements ;)

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    So, whats the next move Verb? Combine the two sets of speaker into one?
    That might help w/ the WAF...

The Mrs is, actually, quite tolerant of my endeavors. She's a keeper, for sure! For those going to Axpona, you'll get to meet her! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Mrs. H let me, in essence, take over the living room of our old house in MA (or, as I refer to it House 3.2) with hifi stuff... so... the least I could do is free most of this house up from hifi stuff, proactively, by design.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    I bought all black or Piano black stuff for the bedroom system.
    I turn the lights off before she gets to bed. :#
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    My GF asks why I have all this stereo stuff. I tell her it's to attract women. She said " well lucky for me it's not working..."
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Good one! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Options
    These guys just came in today! Philips "miniwatt" NOS tubes! :smile:
    3a8xggmzamcs.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • oldschlpolkie
    Options
    Sorry I did not state that very well. There were scrapped factories and other factories were bought very very cheap and are now producing. My friend said it was a huge fire sale and there are people that made/making a ton of money. He said he was working for a factory and they quit production and just started cutting up everything in sight and selling it for scrap. Sounds kinda crazy.
  • verb
    Options
    Swapped out the Svetlanana's with the NOS Philips Miniwatts's! Shpongle warming up now! :smile:
    asbccif9tygr.jpg
    t9ggpoxld4t0.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    How are those 6BM8s? They sure look nice!
  • verb
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yep they were very clean! I popped em in and immediately noticed a difference. Even for my newbie ears! A bit more bass extension than the Svetlana's. More detail I would add as well. Subtle, but noticeable. Gotta spend some more time with em for sure! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Added a Polk sub to this setup! My passive pre had 2 variable outputs so it worked out very well. A little oomph to the flea power rig! :smile:
    y308in92zgeu.jpeg
  • Tony M
    Options
    is that a PSW 111?
  • verb
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    is that a PSW 111?
    Gotta double check. This was a freebie when I snagged the TSI set a while back! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    You are correct Tony! PSW111 :smile: Not terrible, but my SVS in the office really spoiled me! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Having fun here! Sure enough, the PSW111 started to exhibit the dreaded “heartbeat” phenomena. Lucky for me I have this SVS PB-1000 sitting idle! A bit of overkill, but now this little fleapower rig can kick it! :smile:
    bemh4o2scvxk.jpeg
    May the PSW111 Rest In Peace!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
  • verb
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Chooot it :o

Shame really. Everything else is pristine!
  • verb
    Options
    So it turns out, heaven only knows when I acquired this thing, but I have a spare amp for the PSW111 ! So I swapped them out, and she lives! :smile:
    igse68hew40i.png

Total pain in the arse retrofit. Very tight fit, and the amp plate is plastic! Needless to say, I destroyed it pulling it out. Tight fit of the new one going back in, had to tap it along the perimeter to get it to seat properly. Jeez!

Now what to do with this thing? A properly working PSW111? Maybe up in the spare TV room upstairs!

Not that this has happened to any of you, but going through my things, in boxes, and say "I didn't know I have one of these" :smile:
  • Tony M
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You're already at "stage III" of that thing called audiophilia? :D

Did you skip "stage II"?
    The "I forgot I had this" scenario.

Stage III.
    I didn't know I had this. :D

I have a PSW111 and I liked the sound of it a lot. I don't own an SVS or HSU so I don't know what I'm missing yet. :)
  • Tony M
    Options
    Stage IV. Me...
    "I know I have one but where the heck is it?" :s
  • verb
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Stage IV. Me...
    "I know I have one but where the heck is it?" :s

LOL! I'm hovering between stage 2,3,4 on any given day! :smile: