SDA SRS 2.3TL with Clarity CMR caps

Whew! I finally made it to 100 posts! I can sell stuff!

I recently posted a thread on upgrading from my beloved Polk SDA SRS2.3TLs. Long story short, I found the Atohm GT-1s suited my listening preferences much better, as well as my living room and WAF, so it's regrettably time to sell the Polks.

I upgraded the caps with Clarity CMR capacitors, replaced the resistors, and upgraded the tweeters to the RD0-198s. I had planned on doing the other upgrades, but didn't get around to it. They are in good but definitely not pristine shape. One speaker has a broken grill post. The grills don't have the Polk signatures. There are some scratches. I tried to include the flaws in the pictures. The IsoAcoustic Gaia IIs in the pictures are NOT included. I can't find the original feet, but I'll include brass spikes from Parts Express that I was using before the Gaias. I have an original pin/blade cable.

I originally bought the speakers for $660 and took an 11 hour round trip to the middle of Kansas to pick them up. The CMR caps cost about $800, so with the tweeters I have over $1600 in them. I know I'm biased, but I think they're worth much more than that because of how great they sound with the CMR caps. However I'm not looking to make money. I would prefer to see them go to someone who appreciates them, so I'm asking $1250 local pickup around Denver. I'd be willing to drive a couple hours if that helps.

uswbt1paepbc.jpg
6op8pyeq6wup.jpg
osn728k441bg.jpg
dazgz40ojhc8.jpg
qb5zh04kk1lx.jpg
04i6h3a6q85o.jpg
s0liyeprhsf5.jpg
l98zk4fs9hsv.jpg
3peisslt8gvx.jpg
2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Awesome speakers!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    F1nut wrote: »
    Awesome speakers!

They sure are! I heard a pair once, but forget where... ;)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2019
    @stainless0steel2

Brian needs these!! If I didn’t have fully modded 1.2tl’s...
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Man these would be some nice stand in's as I contemplate getting my SRS's upgraded. If only you were a bit closer! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    They are far better than the SDA SRS.

And worth a road trip.... grab a Suburban from your motor pool and hit the road you slacker.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    If you were within a day's travel for me I fear I would be getting a letter from my wife's attorney. GLWTS!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • verb

Interesting. Is that because they are fully modded? Or were these generally regarded as better than the 1st gen SRS?

BTW - you all are killing me! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    verb wrote: »

Interesting. Is that because they are fully modded? Or were these generally regarded as better than the 1st gen SRS?

BTW - you all are killing me! :smile:

They were a better speaker before the mods. Their DNA is a later gen. which as you know is a better speaker than the SRS. Nothing wrong with the first gen. SRS but a blade/blade model has it's limitations.
    Many feel the 2.3tl's were the more musical speaker of the line. I bought a set of Larry's rings for mine 4 years before I ever had a pair.
  • verb
    Thanks Ivan. I can see my journey is a long, but fun one! :smile:
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    verb wrote: »
    Thanks Ivan. I can see my journey is a long, but fun one! :smile:

If I didn’t have the money I do invested in my 1.2tl’s they would’ve already been gone, and I just don’t have the room for them to add to the herd...

• Toolfan66 wrote: »
    @stainless0steel2

Brian needs these!! If I didn’t have fully modded 1.2tl’s...

My apartment can barely handle my 2B TL's. Lol
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited April 2019
    The CMR's really brought a sense of realism to the music for my pair. These speakers are close to being heavily modified and most of the hard work has been done.

This is a great price considering the cap upgrade.... GLWS!
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Don't suppose you'd consider meeting me half way??? Think that would be right about.........Grande Prairie, Alberta Canada ;) Too far??? Seriously, those be my Polk 'end game' speaks. Someday.
    Wish you the best with sale.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Guys,
    I have a set of these speakers that I modded. They fantastic speakers and this asking price is fair.
    Grab them!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    I would include photos of the mods
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    Did these sell?
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3 TL
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Amazing deal on a phenomenal pair of speakers. I would have to be in dire straits to let my 2.3TL's go. As others have said, they are a VERY musical speaker and fully modded are hard to beat at 3 X the price.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Those Atohm's must really look and sound great..
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Pics or it didn't happen
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded