The Sandals Royal in Barbados

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited April 2019 in The Clubhouse
lnem6765acb2.jpg
Hello everyone,
we just got back from a fantastic vacation. The Sands is one hell of a awesome place especially in Barbados. We stayed 4 days and I think it was too short. If we go again which I see that in our future, we will plan a full week.
There is so much to do on site. We also ventured off site with a small tour. We went to **** Rum factory and learned how the original Rum was made. Very cool. We also went to Harrison's Cave's. Under ground spring basically. It's where Barbados get's it's natural water from. We went 16 miles under ground.
hr52y7gxw4sx.jpg
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    I heard you were caught running at the pool.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    That’s great. We went (quite a while ago) to an all inclusive in Antigua and it was unforgettable. Still beat vacation I have ever taken.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Went to Barbados a few years ago. We also toured a rum distillery and brought home a bottle that came straight from the wooden barrel. I get half off to refill the bottle if I ever go again:) Beautiful place to visit, but driving was an adventure. Maybe there was a road sign and maybe there wasn't. Not to mention driving on the "wrong" side of the road. One of my favorite places that we have visited.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mantis
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Went to Barbados a few years ago. We also toured a rum distillery and brought home a bottle that came straight from the wooden barrel. I get half off to refill the bottle if I ever go again:) Beautiful place to visit, but driving was an adventure. Maybe there was a road sign and maybe there wasn't. Not to mention driving on the "wrong" side of the road. One of my favorite places that we have visited.
    We also went to the Rum tour. Our tour guide was fantastic. I'm not a huge Rum fan but we had a good time and sampled all they had to offer.xse7snexr7n1.jpg
    Dan
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    Just don't stay at Sandal's in the Bahamas. The service and food are garbage amongst other things. I've been to both in Nassau and Exuma. Never believe a good review on either one of those resorts. It's pretty bad when I can get better seafood in central Illinois.
  • charley95
    Options
    How was their food at that resort?
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That’s great. We went (quite a while ago) to an all inclusive in Antigua and it was unforgettable. Still beat vacation I have ever taken.

Antigua is a fantastic island to spend time on, have been there many a time...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    Just don't stay at Sandal's in the Bahamas. The service and food are garbage amongst other things. I've been to both in Nassau and Exuma. Never believe a good review on either one of those resorts. It's pretty bad when I can get better seafood in central Illinois.

well you do live a stones throw from the Illinois river ….. duh :p
  • mantis
    Options
    How was their food at that resort?
    The Food at Royal Sandals Barbatos was awesome. I'm very picky when it comes to going out to eat. I hate going to anywhere where the food is just average or worse. But they had excellent high quality meals and I would gladly pay for any meal there.
    Dan
  • charley95
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

well you do live a stones throw from the Illinois river ….. duh :p

I do like my flying carp sushi style!
  • charley95
    Options
    I've heard their other resorts are much better. I don't know how the Bahamas resorts are still going, they are really bad.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    St. Nicholas Abbey is the distillery we toured. http://www.stnicholasabbey.com/

We stayed at the Hilton.

As I said, we rented a car and drove around the island which was fun, but honestly a bit stressful. We got to see some beautiful scenery. What I remember most is a view from a Cherry Tree Hill overlooking the ocean that looked like the Scottish Highlands (at least pictures I've seen as I've never been there). Such a contrast from the opposite side of the island. https://barbados.org/chtree.htm#.XLnh6_ZFyUk
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »

Joe - do you remember which resort? I surprised my wife with a 4 or 5 day first anniversary trip to Pineapple Beach Club (all-inclusive) on Antigua back in 2000. It was nice, and the price was fantastic (think I won a last minute auction that was for 3 nights including air out of JFK for well under a grand). I remember the bar on top of the hill (think it was called the Outhouse, LOL) that was very cool. Some of the best snorkeling we ever did just a few yards right off the beach, even with the murky water (right after a storm).

I don't remember much else about the island other than an excursion to a local marketplace I recall we didn't feel that comfortable outside of the resort, but had no issues.

We vacation on Grand Bahama a lot, and know the island very well. My parents have a retirement/vacation home there, so having a free place to stay, we don't get to other islands that often anymore!

Dan - looks like Barbados should be on our short list... would love to do the rum tour!
  • charley95
    Options
    I like everything else about the Bahamas but Sandal's has soured me staying with them anymore.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    We did an all inclusive in the DR this past Christmas and it was a blast! We will be looking to try the same somewhere else here soon. Barbados and Antigua both look beautiful
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius