It’s Pinewood Derby Day!

Options
13»

Comments

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    Last things: 1/ As I type this she's out collecting food in the neighborhood for her community service project. 2/ @Tony M She actually told me after the race, "Daddy, we are NOT bending the axles next year!" :D
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    stretchl wrote: »
    Last things: 1/ As I type this she's out collecting food in the neighborhood for her community service project. 2/ @Tony M She actually told me after the race, "Daddy, we are NOT bending the axles next year!" :D

That's signature stuff right there! :D

I was wondering if she had something to say since she did so well the last Derby.
    That was funny! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Awesome work the little lady put in there. I actually did the same thing with my son and made sure he helped in every process. I didn't know about the tricks when I was a kid until I went to my first regional event and got smoked by some true race cars. So naturally I showed my son some of what I learned. Its sad that none of the other kids / parents were building 'race' cars. His cars smoked every other car in every heat. I though in this modern info age that most would know the tricks. I was glad my Son won but felt bad about some of the cars I saw. Some had no chance what so ever. I volunteered to give a class on building but unfortunately it never happened.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    I also invited kids and their Dads back then to come over if they needed help. Only 3 dads and their kids showed up.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,761
    Options
    Awesome thread....those times are sure precious.

I missed this earlier, but I helped a buddy build one for his kid a few years ago. We used a reloading scale to get the weight as accurate as possible with a small amount of wiggle room for the possible error of their scales.

We drilled two holes into the bottom rear of the car so we could friction fit and flush mount two 124 gr hollow points. The theory was it would be far enough back to capitalize on the gravity of the ramp before it leveled out.

We tried a few different methods to get a smooth axle. In the drill press, we used 0000 steel wool with some polishing compound, as well as trying polishing compound and wax.

We also tried to work some graphite into the metal, cannot remember which worked the best, but we tested by using a regulated amount of air...I believe 50 lbs and used a blow nozzle to spin the wheels, then time the spin-down.

There was only about 20 entries but his kid placed 2nd and lost by a nose.

We didn't do the 3-wheel setup or bending the axles, just smoothed the surface of the wheels and axles with polish and wax, along with the lead in the rear.

The whole process is addicting, hoping my kids get a chance to get involved.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • cincycat13
    Options
    p6pgxubwjimj.jpg
    xalxmj2k8sjp.jpg

Maybe some "derby dads" still out there. I think I have one more year. I'll just add to this thread rather than start something new. I have attached this year's creations for race tomorrow.

Green one in the middle is the official scout car. Blue one is by the brother. I put the red one together because they told me i needed to race. Happy Saturday!

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Wow, those are completely different than anything I've ever seen, could you explain the design philosophy? Obviously, I haven't been in the loop in decades. Lol.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    When I was a boy scout, a couple years ago, My dad and I built a car to look like the early race cars and because we took so much weight off we made a driver out of fishing lead weights. the man was just forward of the rear wheels and we won every event in our division. My dad is a retired mechanic who used to be on the pit crew for A. J. Foyt in the early 60's so it was always cool to tell everyone that story. That car would always start out last then just blast by everyone. Looked something like this:

vtv1dtks2v9n.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • cincycat13
    Options
    q1tsw0f5x11l.jpg
    j9r8ikxymahn.jpg
    c54gssk7qxuq.jpg
    9o70v0vcqkay.jpg
    rcea2jntxsoc.jpg

drumonds. Here is unpainted. the design theory was to put the weight to the back to get the center of gravity of the car about 3/4" in front of the rear "axle"

the blue car also had a elevated front to exploit the starting mechanism. this was not a scout car. You can see in the blurry head to head photo of all 3 cars, the blue one is about a car length ahead at the end due to this. Otherwise cars about equal.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Thanks, cool stuff