Deadwood is back.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Hard to believe its been over ten years. Great show, just like Rome no reason to end it, glad they're bringing back a movie with original cast for the most part.
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    I need to binge-watch this. Two of my favorite actors; Olyphant and McShane. Olyphant was terrific in Justified. McShane is awesome in American Gods. The two together has to be good.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Hopefully they won't find it necessary to drop 350 "F" bombs in every episode. It took away from an otherwise good show.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited January 2019
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Hopefully they won't find it necessary to drop 350 "F" bombs in every episode. It took away from an otherwise good show.

yea, I LOVED justified and went back to watch deadwood and thought it might be a show to watch when the in-laws were in town. Good thing I screened it lol...they would not have appreciated the language. And I agree that it gets to a point where its just unnatural and irritating.

I have thought about watching it but with so many good shows on I probably never will...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    steveinaz wrote: »
    lol, I know! and the CS word. I don't mind some profanity for effect and realism, but in Deadwood, I was like dub yahtee effmate, did they really use the CS word that much back then? Make sailors blush. That's like the cee word: a little goes a long way; save for special occasions, I say.
    I disabled signatures.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    One of my top three favorite shows of all time. And one that literally made me angry when they decided to cancel it. Lots of loose ends to tie up - always wanted them to re-start the series vs movie but will take what I can get.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • reverb
    edited January 2019
    The wife and I started on episode 1 tonight. It may take us 3 months, but we will eventually get there.

I can't for the life of me understand why I stopped watching it years ago.....
  • I remember reading somewhere they upped the profanity so that those of us today would think it over the top. Back then a few cuss words were considered really foul language. In order to make that point in the show they over stressed it. I doubt they used the same language back then like they do in the show. All to make a point. If they used the same language as back then, it might seem PG or PG-13 to us now. But I get your point, it seems a tad bit over the top. I would like it a lot more if the language was toned down more.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • rooftop59
    I remember reading somewhere they upped the profanity so that those of us today would think it over the top. Back then a few cuss words were considered really foul language. In order to make that point in the show they over stressed it. I doubt they used the same language back then like they do in the show. All to make a point. If they used the same language as back then, it might seem PG or PG-13 to us now. But I get your point, it seems a tad bit over the top. I would like it a lot more if the language was toned down more.

That actually makes a lot of sense and gives the writing rationale. But...while I am usually not a “our world is going to hell in a hand basket”’ kind of guy, it is a little disturbing that that level of language is what it takes to shock us.

And perhaps even more telling is that many viewers just shrug and keep watching :/
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere they upped the profanity so that those of us today would think it over the top. Back then a few cuss words were considered really foul language. In order to make that point in the show they over stressed it. I doubt they used the same language back then like they do in the show. All to make a point. If they used the same language as back then, it might seem PG or PG-13 to us now. But I get your point, it seems a tad bit over the top. I would like it a lot more if the language was toned down more.

That actually makes a lot of sense and gives the writing rationale. But...while I am usually not a “our world is going to hell in a hand basket”’ kind of guy, it is a little disturbing that that level of language is what it takes to shock us.

And perhaps even more telling is that many viewers just shrug and keep watching :/

George Carlin's "Seven Words" bit was extremely prescient, I think. :|
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I showed "Saving Private Ryan" to my parents years ago. My father was part of the Normandy invasion. He said that the entire time he was in WWII, not once did he ever hear anyone utter the "F" word. It would have been unthinkable.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    read the thread title too quickly this time around under Recent Posts and thought it said Daewoo is back.

1hsbum5rte49.png

That'd be worth a few F-bombs.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I showed "Saving Private Ryan" to my parents years ago. My father was part of the Normandy invasion. He said that the entire time he was in WWII, not once did he ever hear anyone utter the "F" word. It would have been unthinkable.

One notes that the acronyms FUBAR and SNAFU both date to WWII. The WWII pilots' term "Foo Fighters" for UFOs uses the euphemism foo.

These two quanta of historical lexicon may be supportive of your father's comment or contrary to it -- a little hard to tell which.

EDIT: As an aside, the kind of words that are truly shocking today (to the point of being widely, and wildly, unacceptable pretty much in any context) were used weekly on TV's All in the Family (for example) in the early 1970s, albeit in an explicitly satirical context.

As I opined previously, George Carlin was right about words. :|
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    As far as I know, if somebody used profanity in front of someone's wife in the 1800's and into the 1900's you were pretty much honor bound to whip their azz to preserve your wife's honor. If it ended in death, it was considered justified in many places. Lots of songs about that, including Pretty Boy Floyd (although in that song a deputy used profanity that Pretty Boy's wife overheard, and he grabbed a logging chain to teach the deputy a lesson but the deputy grabbed his gun, and in the fight that followed "he laid the deputy down." Since it was a deputy, they pinned a murder charge onto his name.
  • reverb
    Well, we are about to wrap-up season one and yes, the F-Bombs are a bit distracting but tolerable given the fine writing and story-line.

In the article linked in the OP, it says they are using the same sets used by Westworld. I had read that those had burned in the So Cal "Woolsey" fire. Wonder how that will impact the movie?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/11/09/westworld-western-set-burns-fast-moving-socal-wildfire/1946403002/
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Just finished season 1, again. I'd forgotten how much we enjoyed this show! Continuing to binge! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Just finished up season 1 as well after reading Deadwood comments here. Love it! No idea why I missed this when it was first running as I loved Timothy Olyphant in Justified, The Girl Next Door, Hit Man, Go, etc.

McShane is great as well, especially in John Wick. The language maybe not so era-accurate but tolerable. My wife told me not to let my daughter watch it due to the way the women on the show are treated but she let us know she's already watched the whole series using DirecTV On-Demand. Man I'm a bad parent....

Like Justified, Deadwood seems to reflect the historical reality of the real Deadwood right down to how Wild Bill was killed off.

Off topic but I was born in Harlan, KY (Loyall actually but basically walking distance to town) where "Justified" was set and the production crew would come visit every year talking to people and looking around getting ideas but they never filmed there as far as I know other than getting stock footage of road signs and a few building exterior shots. The most common comment from locals to the crew? The cast all have perfect teeth, no "meth-mouth". I get back about once a year to visit but poor Harlan's a mess after big coal pulled out, glad I escaped with my pearly whites intact. Growing up, no meth but we would visit the local bootlegger who was Maggie Bailey, the character basis for season's 2 Mags Bennett. Kentucky used to be dry from Richmond down to the Tennessee state line and Saturday night we would always run out Clover Fork to see "Aunt Maggie" for a six pack.

We need a Justified: The Movie next.

Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Are you $%^&$#@ sure about this? You %^$#* better not be telling a %$#^&* lie. LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    I might have to this another try. I think its on Amazon prime...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • verb
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I might have to this another try. I think its on Amazon prime...

Yep on Prime. Just finished season 2! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Finished season 3! Left the Mrs and I wanting for more! Still can't believe they cancelled it!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I love this series a lot! some fine Actors in this series!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Are all the original actors back? I have the series on DVD, and will get this when it is released.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    One of the things I liked about the show was how the town grew from just a few buildings in the first eposide to a bustling place by the end. I always thought they would end the series with the town burning to the ground like happened to Deadwood in real life. Of course it was rebuilt later and I spent a couple years near there when I was a kid.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited May 2019
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Are all the original actors back? I have the series on DVD, and will get this when it is released.

From a brief release, I don't think Timothy Olyphant is back ( the sheriff) which is disappointing if I'm correct. Ian McShane - Al Sweringer - is back though, that's a relief! I certainly hope Robin Weigert (Clamity Jane - and she won an least one Emmy for her role) and William Sanderson (that slimy E.B. Farnum) are back.

Unfortunately Powers Boothe (Cy Tolliver - that brothel/gambling protagonist of Al Sweringer) has died in the mean while. He was a great character, and a fantastic actor as well!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The Movie is now on the HBO streaming channel on Amazon. I watched the first half hour. One thing immediately striking is that the producers somehow seem to have retained the sets from the original shows. It sure looks that way. Anyway, most of the main characters are in the show again. Timothy Olyphant is in. Robin Weigert is in the very beginning riding a donkey and drinking from a bottle.

The actors look like they have aged the ten years since the series ended. Although I have not finished watching, I understand the movie is just a way to gracefully wrap up the series that ended all too abruptly. So I'm not expecting much to happen of consequence. The familiar Shakespearean/Corksoaker language is still prevalent. Everybody looks so much older! Haven't seen the Chinese Mr. Wu guy yet. I liked his character.