Anyone have any exp. with SONANCE amps?

Options
zarrdoss
zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
edited March 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
I have a chance to pick some up locally cheap and was wondering if anyone has owned them or had exp with?

Thank you!:o
Post edited by zarrdoss on

Comments

• zarrdoss
    edited March 2009
    Options
    how do these compare to Adcom? anyone know?
  • zarrdoss
    edited March 2009
    Options
    jeez! is everyone so preoccupied with the frivolus "speaker cable" thread that they cannot offer their advise or opinion? :eek:
  • zarrdoss
    edited March 2009
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited March 2009
    Options
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    jeez! is everyone so preoccupied with the frivolus "speaker cable" thread that they cannot offer their advise or opinion? :eek:

what difference does an amp make?
    they are all the same anyway.....:Dj/k
    Sonance, I have never owned, but have heard on a few occasions, and seem to be a great amp. I plan on trying one of theirs some day. is there a particular model you are asking about?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • zarrdoss
    edited March 2009
    Options
    the 2120 and the 260 I found a local deal for these two 260's for center and surround and the 2120 for mains, all three amps for $290, I am planning on using these with my Rotel 5.1 pre
  • zarrdoss
    edited March 2009
    Options
    the 260's are 60wx2 @ 8 ohms rms and the 2120 is 120wx2 rms into 8 ohms
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • zarrdoss
    edited March 2009
    Options
    not bad and thanks for looking but I found a guy that wants to give me those amps and some coin for the LS 90 so we will see this friday
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2009
    Options
    not bad and thanks for looking but I found a guy that wants to give me those amps and some coin for the LS 90 so we will see this friday

seems better to take all cash if thats the case. ther edoes not appear to be much of a following for sonance...:confused:

• zarrdoss
    edited March 2009
    Options
    not to worried he also has an adcom GFA 6000, I will listen to both and decide, I wanted seperate amps so it would be more flexable if I wanted to upgrade just the main amp latter on.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Sonance makes very good amps. They're similar in design to adcom.
    I have a 260. 60 wpc sounds more like a 125 wpc amp.
    Very musical and dynamic.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    Sonance makes very good amps. They're similar in design to adcom.
    I have a 260. 60 wpc sounds more like a 125 wpc amp.
    Very musical and dynamic.

thanks, I have decided to go the Sonance route for now and for the price I dont think it could be beat.
  • zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I just picked up the three Sonance amps and just doing the I-pod test with the monitor 5b's it sounds amazing, I cant wait till tomorrow to get it all going with the Rotel pre.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I just picked up the three Sonance amps and just doing the I-pod test with the monitor 5b's it sounds amazing, I cant wait till tomorrow to get it all going with the Rotel pre.

congrats man... full review pending?

• zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Yeah I will as soon as the inital tweeking is done and have a chance to really check it out. So far the difference is like night and day. Everything is much clearer, the Roter does a real nice job of doing 2 ch and 5.1 ht. The Sonance amps seem real well made and are powerful and clean. I moved my monitor 5b's for surrounds. But still need a line conditioner and some other stuff but will have to wait for funds.

Inside the Sonance
    IMG_1047.jpg

Before
    IMG_0674.jpg

After
    IMG_1051.jpg
  • zarrdoss
    edited April 2009
    Options
    does anyone know about Furman line conditioners?

Thanks!
  • niles300z
    niles300z Posts: 21
    edited February 2014
    Options
    im always late. i have a 2120 here.sounds decent. the bass is not bad but there is a slight hump in the upper bass that seems to bloat some male vocals and thickens up some percussion. overall a good value on the used market at around a dollar per watt.despite the slight transformer hum most will find it still beats many receivers
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sonance amps do not sound good and do not sound bad. If you can get a good price I guess there good. I would only use them for multi zone audio.
    I dont get the hype of Adcom amps on this forum. Adcom amps are garbage. Pass up any Adcom amp deal.

Furmann BlueBolt is a awesome product. Their UPS has a high failure rating. Look at Panamax for line conditioners.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • niles300z
    niles300z Posts: 21
    Options
    Sonance seems to fly under the radar and therefore can be found at some great prices.
    I have my second product here the 275se. It is heavy with a nice red board and an oversized toroid transfo. It sounds quite good to me. Being newer than many of my favorite amps its dc offset is solid and right around 0 on both sides. The bbe module is an interesting idea but have not tried it. 75 watts is true but 135 into 4ohms seems to speak for its muscle. I like it!
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Options
    That was my first separate amp, and it opened my eyes to what my SDA speakers could sound like. Use the bbe switch like a "Loud" switch if you want -- high/low boost. I also liked the separate RCA out for my subwoofer. Had I been able to bi-amp, I probably would have picked up another -- ridiculously cheap.

Having said all that, the SDAs didn't reach their potential at 75wpc. 200 has made this a whole other ballgame. But, with different speakers, I wouldn't hesitate to consider Sonance again.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    It's an old thread for sure.

The 1250's I just got for free sounded really nice at just 50 watts per 12 channels. I think there was some headroom per channel too.

They sounded OK to me for sure. But I'm no purist either.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.