Am I running too much power on my rti a9s

I just joined the world of external amplifiers. I knew I would need them eventually with these beasts for speakers I ran them off my receiver for about a year and a half then found a good deal on ebay for two adcom gfa 555s. I am using one amp bridged into 600 watts for each speaker. To say the least these speakers lit up in a way I didn't think possible. Just wondering if I could be causing any damage with the amount of power I'm using since these are only rated for 500 watts.

Best Answers

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Answer ✓
    The A9's are like tanks IMO. I've had them bridged with over 800w on tap each speaker.....cranked and loving it!! Had a big room to fill too, 15 and a half by 26 and a half and it was glorious!!!

Now in a room half that size, they are powered with 450w each and hardly ever cranked and still emitting beautiful sounds :smiley:
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2019
    Running amps bridged increases their noise floor (distortion level).
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Gstradeski wrote: »
    I just joined the world of external amplifiers...
    ...found a good deal on ebay for two adcom gfa 555s. I am using one amp bridged into 600 watts for each speaker. To say the least these speakers lit up in a way I didn't think possible.
    And this was your reaction. And the dad from that 70s show was there, too.
    hlrwd2reae0c.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Personally, I wouldn't bridge those amps, not only for the added noise it introduces, but the amps in bridged mode may not like anything below an 8 ohm load.

That said, the only damage you'll do is with the volume dial. If you haven't learned yet what to listen for before things go up in a puff of smoke, You may want to read up a bit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    It is FAR EASIER to blow up your speakers by overdriving and underpowered amplifier into clipping than it is to damage them with a much higher powered amplifier. Like @tonyb said the volume dial and not knowing what the signs of distress sound like is far more dangerous to your loudspeakers!!
    I myself have come across far too many people who like to crank it up and don’t even hear the distortion when they get carried away!!!!
    Then when things go up in a puff of smoke like @tonyb says, they wonder what happened :o