Sub Phase

I always wondered about the phase on subwoofer's. I've always left mine at 0 and never thought about it. For giggles this afternoon while listening to Peter Gabriel I got a wild hair and flipped it to 180. I wasn't expecting anything at all. I was more thinking it would screw up the sound. I flipped the switch and sat down, turned it back up to -15db and was a good God man where did all that bass come from.

My system sounded great before, I mean shake the house and rock all day. This is like I added a new sub. Bass is clean and non directional (before I could tell where the sub was). Deeper cleaner and a lot louder.

I spent an hour before the wife came home playing, setting different cross over points setting speaker from large to small and back an forth.

At phase 0, I would run Audyssey set to small and 80hz. anything else gave me a hallow sound unless I set to large. I had a slight localize of the sub

At phase 180, no difference going from large to small up and down the cross over till I hit 110hz then the sub started to localize.

So with a flick of a switch I went from great to insane,
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Wave mechanics is interesting stuff.

gnv4k4k91an4.png

c29n8urci79m.png

FWIW -- It's nice(st) to have continuously variable phase, IMO.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Got home from work and ran a DB meter test with my iPhone. Played Peter Gabriel sledge hammer

Phase 0; Average 78.4 db, peak 84db

Phase 180; Average 82.5 db peak 89.8db

I left the volume at -20db for both runs

All this time and it's just a flick of a switch.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Sound wave interaction is a funny thing right?! I utilize phase more in my car audio application due to such a small area and so many drivers but it can make a HUGE difference.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member