Help with the Dreadnaught...

Options
I am in the process of using some older Canare 4S11 wire for the interconnect cable and wiring up the neutrik connectors. How are you guys wiring these things up? Are we using all 4 pins or just 2. What are the parings from the transformer?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I'd pick them 1+ and 1-
    Pin would be positive blade negetive

Corrected to prevent confusion
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    What about the pairing at the transformer?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2019
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2019
    Options
    F1nut
    April 2014 edited April 2014
    Yes correction, I meant non-magnetic....thanks Schurkey.
    westmassguy wrote: »
    Jesse, can you elaborate on the reason for dedicated left and right?

As stated, the primary windings go to one speaker, the secondary windings go to the other.

To keep it as simple as possible in order not to confuse anyone the following works perfectly and there is no reason to change it.

Red/Yellow (right pin) to 1+
    Black/Orange (right blade) to 1-
    Grey/Brown (left pin) to 1+
    Blue/Violet (left blade) to 1-

stogie, put a magnet to the hardware. If it sticks to any of it you don't want to use it.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Thanks for the links... helped out a bunch. I have the cables built, and tomorrow I will finish the Dreadnaught itself. I am still working up the new terminal plates, but I am not happy with my binding posts. I don't like the collars that are supposed to shield the posts from the plate itself.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Heat shrink tubing?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Tried that, but the plastic slip collars won't fit over the shrink.

• pitdogg2
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I might be able to open the holes up a bit and epoxy the collars in place. Once they set, I should be able to carefully insert the posts and tighten things up.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Why aren't you using SpeakOn's?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    I am... I need new binding posts for the speaker plates that Trey made years ago. They are the brushed aluminum ones with the Polk logo on them.

• F1nut
    Options
    I see. Are they Trey's binding posts too?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Leftover parts from Sunfire

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    For Canare I use all four connections on the SpeakON plugs and sockets. A lot easier than trying to cram #11 gauge equivalent wire into one of the plug's connectors.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I am only using two of the runs, the solid red and the solid white.

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    OK... It is done and working. everything checks out as it should, but I am hearing a distinct shift to the left of what was a solid center image when I was using the Polk AI-1. Is this a normal thing that goes away as it breaks in or did I fubar things? When I remove the dreadnaught from the system, the image centers again.

Ideas anyone?

• F1nut
    Options
    Something is wrong.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I can't put my finger on what tonight. I will look at the connections at the transformer in the morning. As I said, the cables are sound, and the terminal plates are wired exactly as they were from the originals. The only thing I can think of is I may have gotten the pairings wrong. It sounds nuts, but the only thing pulled left appears to be vocals.

I put an ear to each speaker with the SDA disconnected, and I get sound from the inboard column of each speaker, and from each tweeter. Reconnecting the SDA, and I get sound from each driver on the outside edge. Moving on the sofa about 18 inches to the right seems to center the image nicely...
    ***Edit*** disregard everything for now. I am too tired to be messing with this stuff, and it just occurred to me that my Pass X0.2 has been unplugged for more than 24 hours. This may be the source of all my issues, as it does not respond well to being powered down.

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    The weak center image still exists this morning. It's as if there is nothing in the middle of the soundstage at all, as everything is contained to the left or right. I am going to let it play for a few hours and see how things open up. I am trying to keep in mind I only have an hour or so on this thing, but the collapse of the center image is not something others have noted....

• F1nut
    Options
    John, no amount of burn in is going to fix that issue. You have something wired wrong.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    edited April 2019
    Options
    As I am beginning to suspect... I have good continuity through the cables, the terminal plates are correct, so the only thing left is the pairings at the Dreadnaught itself.

7vou23fhqikg.jpg
    6h51354v5qnj.jpg
    Everything looks good here....
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Because the center image was pushed left, I began with the right channel and tested the continuity of the SDA cable from the terminal cup to the Dreadnaught... all good. Then looked at the wiring of the terminals themselves and found I had wired the bottom speaker terminals backwards! I feel like an idiot now, but happy to say the problem is now resolved.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Because the center image was pushed left, I began with the right channel and tested the continuity of the SDA cable from the terminal cup to the Dreadnaught... all good. Then looked at the wiring of the terminals themselves and found I had wired the bottom speaker terminals backwards! I feel like an idiot now, but happy to say the problem is now resolved.

We all do that at one point or another. Glad you found the problem.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options

Because the center image was pushed left, I began with the right channel and tested the continuity of the SDA cable from the terminal cup to the Dreadnaught... all good. Then looked at the wiring of the terminals themselves and found I had wired the bottom speaker terminals backwards!
    "One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." - Sigmund Freud
    I feel like an idiot now, but happy to say the problem is now resolved.
    "Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise."
    - Sigmund Freud

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA