Advice Needed Please

Hello,

I could use some help in setting up my system. I am happy with it, but certainly not blown away. I was hoping with this "upgrade" to my previous system, I would be all set. I am thinking now that I may possibly need an amp. But, hopefully you guys can help, because it absolutely could be user error.

Previous system: circa 1997 - Circuit City Baby!
Harman/Kardon AVR 235 (Not 1997)
Front: (2) DCM KX-12 Series Two
Rear: (2) DCM KX-7 Series Two
Center: (1) DCM KX-Center Series Two
Sub: Velodyne 1210

Current System:
Yamaha RX-V679
Front: (2) Polk S60
Rear: (2) Polk S15
Center: (1) Polk S35
Sub: Velodyne 1210

- I have all speakers set to "Big", which I know is incorrect. But, not sure what they should be. I plan on setting the rears and center to "Small". I may set the fronts to "Small" as well, but it seems like it would defeat the purpose of buying the 60's.

- I have the sub set at 80 hz, - Phase 0 - XOver In - Power Auto - High Pass Switch on 80.

- It's a fairly large room at 16' x 20' with 18' ceilings

- It sounds a little clearer, and I can hear dialogue better with this set up vs. my DCM's. But, it is definitely not a huge improvement.

Hopefully I gave you enough info to help me....if that's possible. If not, please let me know what other info you may need. Or, if I just need to suck it up and buy an amp.

Thank you very much in advance!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Unfortunately you can't add an amplifier to that receiver, as that receiver does not have pre-outs.

Whoever convinced you to buy that receiver did you a major disservice.
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    I guess you need to explain why you are not happy with it. Is it not loud enough? Bass not good enough? There are a lot of variables and the room being the biggest one. Do you have any room treatment?
    Also how did you set up the speakers? Did you use the mic and let the receiver do its thing?
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Those DCM's are at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Polks. Bright, inaccurate party speakers. Yes, you should set all speakers to small, but I think the bigger issue is you need to adjust to speakers which are not the DCM's. With that receiver, you will not be able to achieve the same volume level you could with the DCM's.
  • deucekazoo wrote: »
    I guess you need to explain why you are not happy with it. Is it not loud enough? Bass not good enough? There are a lot of variables and the room being the biggest one. Do you have any room treatment?
    Also how did you set up the speakers? Did you use the mic and let the receiver do its thing?

I guess the best way to describe it is, they don't fill the room like I'd hoped. I've tried the mic setup before, and I wasn't impressed. I'd prefer to dial it in myself. Since posting I had a little time to mess with it, and I have made some strides. I think I can get it closer to what I was hoping for. I have a feeling I would need to spend significantly more money to truly get what I had in mind. For what I paid, I am happy with the look and sound. I'm just hard to please.
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Those DCM's are at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Polks. Bright, inaccurate party speakers. Yes, you should set all speakers to small, but I think the bigger issue is you need to adjust to speakers which are not the DCM's. With that receiver, you will not be able to achieve the same volume level you could with the DCM's.

The DCM's were great for an early 20's kid who wanted surround sound, and to blast some Metallica, Guns n Roses, etc. I got a lot of great years out of them, and they still sound the same now as the day I brought them home. I'm actually having a tough time putting them on Craigslist. But, point taken. They definitely are a different animal, and I'll keep tweaking the Polks'. They are mainly for tv and movies, so I'm fairly certain I can get what i want out of them.

Thanks again guys.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    If you find that tweaking doesn't help, sell that Yamaha, do more research and get a receiver that has all the bells and whistles you want it to have and make sure it has preouts to add a separate amp.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2019
    set all the speakers to small and set the sub crossover to around 80-100hz.

Bad idea to power all the speakers full range AND have a sub.
    Miss the main benefit of a sub, to let the receiver breathe and not have to do all the bass.

We have a few similar yamaha receivers and it sounds very good. But we are sending all the bass ONLY to the subwoofer.

It will play decently loud and without strain, if you channel bass ONLY to sub.

You do have a very big room, and the separate power amp suggestions may be better, assuming you play music or movies fairly loud regularly.

But give the main speakers set to small a try first. A fairly good change you should hear.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    ^^^agree^^^

Set them S60 to small and C/O to 60-80hz. I have a big Emo amp and still set to small and 80hz.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music