Went Retro on a Client but new

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
edited April 2019 in Speakers
Hello all,
I grew up on polk and JBL. my dad had a pair of JBL L 100's way back in the day connected to a Technics super cool silver receiver. I loved listening to Vinyl on them as well as 8 tracks.
Well JBL re released these classic speakers with some modern touches yet retained that vintage warm feel and grace. Once of my clients is into classic rock and loved vintage gear. I told him about these and he just had to have them.
We sat after I installed and tweaked them to perfection for hours listening to Grateful Dead, Classic Al Di Meola and a bunch of other cool stuff. What a wonderful warm easy to listen to speaker. If I had somewhere in my house I could build a Retro system, these would be a strong consideration for the speaker choice. They are simply wonderful.
As usual I used audioquest cables. What's really cool is I used Rocket 33 without the braid to give it that lamp cord look. I still installed the pants and used nice Banana jacks but it still from a far gives the system a retro look. There wasn't fancy speaker wires back then like there is today and I didn't want to use a anything other then rocket 33 naked. Not to mention I enjoy building cables anyway.
Here is a few pics of my install.
br522sghyz91.jpg
glqcjqiw38cw.jpg
fgvj0vx07f12.jpg
a08i67bstfgl.jpg
evdxmr9k6iz6.jpg
izxt0f9ypa2o.jpg
kqjtitg3nvcz.jpg
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Dan, At 4K a pair, are the L 100's worth the price of Admission? Although not Vintage, I'm sure the Rogue Audio Cronus drives them beautifully.
  • mantis
    Dan, At 4K a pair, are the L 100's worth the price of Admission? Although not Vintage, I'm sure the Rogue Audio Cronus drives them beautifully.
    At $4k a pair they are totally worth it. They sound remarkable, modern detail with classic warm bottom end. They don't get loose yet they retain a remarkable warm clean bottom end. The top end it tight powerful and non fatiguing. I find no flaws in this speaker at all. The Mid range is super British like.
    The Rogue amp was selected as it's a tube amp, preamp, has a built in Phono preamp MM and MC plus it looks kinda retro. It was the best choice I found when I designed the system.
    The Sony ES SACD player I put in the cabinet so it's not shown but used for Disc playback.
    Dan
  • Mike Reeter
    Looks like the Front Port Design allows for easy set-up, I've been intrigued by these speakers since they were reintroduced. I need to get somewhere for a Demo one day! Are the stands included, or optional?
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Love the look. Very nice
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Very cool @mantis ! BTW are you a professional installer?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mantis
    Looks like the Front Port Design allows for easy set-up, I've been intrigued by these speakers since they were reintroduced. I need to get somewhere for a Demo one day! Are the stands included, or optional?
    The stands are optional. Get your listen on man, they are fantastic.

Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2019
    verb wrote: »
    Yes. I own my own business plus work for another as a Service Tech, Programmer Professional Calibrator and I'm a Salesman.
    Dan
  • verb
    mantis wrote: »
    Yes. I own my own business plus work for another as a Service Tech, Programmer Professional Calibrator and I'm a Salesman.

Where do you live?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I like that setup, very old school and nice.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I'm just glad they picked a "sensible" grill color. Some of the colors are right out of the 1970's acid trip.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The engineers on the new JBL L100 appear to work in white lab coats just like Matt Polk back in the day. ;)

Cool...very retro.

https://youtu.be/O4hDhKMyCZo
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    We're talking retro and nobody has mentioned the Electric Football in the corner??? Great memories of playing that with my uncles and older brother.

But yeah, nice looking setup with some very cool speakers.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Those lab techs need to get out of the lab and get some sun once in a while.

Man, Chris looks like he's been in the hole for a year. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mantis

Where do you live?
    I'm just north of Philadelphia PA in Lower bucks County.

Dan
  • mantis
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm just glad they picked a "sensible" grill color. Some of the colors are right out of the 1970's acid trip.

I'm surprised he didn't pick a different color.
    Dan
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640

Mike,

Come on up. My buddy Mike has a pair at his shop and he has them in arguably his best listening room (he has 6 listening rooms total).
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Mike Reeter
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Mike,

Come on up. My buddy Mike has a pair at his shop and he has them in arguably his best listening room (he has 6 listening rooms total).

Thanks for the invite, I'll see if I can make the trip.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Electric football!!!!! loved it as a kid, now that is vintage

rfgj7b3i2agb.png

Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Walter Becker's doppelgänger works for Harmon!
    [
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

Mike,

Mike,

Sounds like a party! Say the word.
  • verb

Where do you live?
    I'm just north of Philadelphia PA in Lower bucks County.

Too bad. I live in SE Michigan. I could use your services to evaluate my setup and provide advice for optimization! :smile:
  • verb

Come on dude, not digging the orange grilles? Far out man! :smile:
    vv45yh5enqx3.png
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430

vv45yh5enqx3.png

Green shag carpet and the orange grills would fit right into my bedroom in the 70s.

I would love to hear them.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • pitdogg2
    lightman1 wrote: »

Mike,

Mike,

Sounds like a party! Say the word.

PARTY!
  • pitdogg2

vv45yh5enqx3.png

Umm nope .... too close to the orange sunshine I'M REAL FAMILIAR WITH !!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    I'd be curious to hear a pair of the new L100s, too.
    I profoundly disliked the originals (FWIW).
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    The new classic JBL's are cool as hell, but man they are PRICEY.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    $4k a pair is far from pricey by modern loudspeaker standards, I'd opine.

Says the man how acquired most of his audio equipment from dumpster diving... :p

What can we say, me and ole Steve are cheap bastages :p
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer