Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL

Hi guys, I’m new to this forum as I just acquired a pair of Polk SDASRS 2.3 TL speakers for a hundo dollar bill. I was wondering possibly for you guys who already own a pair of these what receiver y’all are using to drive them? Are they power hungry? Would I eventually be able to drive them with a sansui g9000 which is rated at a conservative 160wpc? I would prefer a vintage receiver. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Forget the receiver completely ! get a real high current amplifier or sell them. What you're trying to do is buy a Corvette yet put a Yugo motor in it.
  • mthebull
    mthebull Posts: 41
    I thought I read somewhere they were fairly efficient speakers. Seem to remember it was Polk literature that said they were efficient enough to be driven with low wattage receivers although 200watts was recommended.
  • mthebull
    Also does someone know of a better option for the interconnect cable? They didn’t come with one and only option I’ve seen is eBay for 90 bucks. Almost what I paid for the speakers!
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2019
    Can you get sound out of them? Sure! Are they easy to drive? Sure! That 200wpc in the literature speaks volumes. You're asking a lot from a receiver to control 12 woofers and 6 tweeters. These love current and you'll never have that with 99% of the receivers. The Sansui is nice but very old and long in the tooth if it has never been recapped then you have that as well. Electrolytic's dry out and shift values when they're as old as those.
    You asked I have answered, I have these very speakers and drive them with a Carver TFM45 that has been completely recapped and they suck up all it has to give and more.

Those speakers can use a crossover recap as well. Mine are completely different after the recap and new 2% tolerance inductors and 6 new RD-0198 tweeters
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The Sansui G9000 still sells for north of $1500 if in really good condition. Is that receiver already owned? It would work fine with the 2.3TL model. It is built more like a high power integrated amp of current times but it has its limitations.

The 2.3TL are considered fairly efficient for their time but are not high efficient speakers. High efficiency speakers are things like vintage Klipsch above 100dB. Even though the G9000 is good, it would be pushing 18 active drivers worth as much as $50 a piece. Best not to push it too hard and fry drivers, especially if the amp has not been maintained. There are better and cheaper options in amplification.

Search on the forum for interconnect options. It is possible to make one pin to pin or modify the speakers with a better connector.
  • mthebull
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Can you get sound out of them? Sure! Are they easy to drive? Sure! That 200wpc in the literature speaks volumes. You're asking a lot from a receiver to control 12 woofers and 6 tweeters. These love current and you'll never have that with 99% of the receivers. The Sansui is nice but very old and long in the tooth if it has never been recapped then you have that as well. Electrolytic's dry out and shift values when they're as old as those.
    You asked I have answered, I have these very speakers and drive them with a Carver TFM45 that has been completely recapped and they suck up all it has to give and more.

Those speakers can use a crossover recap as well. Mine are completely different after the recap new 2% tolerance inductors and 6 new RD-0198 tweeters

Thanks, I will consider all your recommendations, I hope I didn’t annoy you with my response to your initial recommendation, it wasn’t my intention. I just wanted to see if it was possible to stick with the vintage sansui I’ve been wanting. I’m trying to learn as much as I can and have been reading up on the upgrades that are available as well. Thanks again for your input
  • mthebull
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The Sansui G9000 still sells for north of $1500 if in really good condition. Is that receiver already owned? It would work fine with the 2.3TL model. It is built more like a high power integrated amp of current times but it has its limitations.

The 2.3TL are considered fairly efficient for their time but are not high efficient speakers. High efficiency speakers are things like vintage Klipsch above 100dB. Even though the G9000 is good, it would be pushing 18 active drivers worth as much as $50 a piece. Best not to push it too hard and fry drivers, especially if the amp has not been maintained. There are better and cheaper options in amplification.

Search on the forum for interconnect options. It is possible to make one pin to pin or modify the speakers with a better connector.

It is not owned yet, I own a g6000 and g7000 but I know they’re lacking in power. I was thinking about selling them and paying the difference on a well maintained and possibly already recapped g9000 but didn’t know if it was a viable option worth pursuing. I just love the vintage receiver look and in addition to great sound I’d like to get great looks as well. At least to my taste.I will do some research on the cable option as well, seller said if he located it he would call me but I’m not holding my breath.
  • pitdogg2
    mthebull wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Those speakers can use a crossover recap as well. Mine are completely different after the recap new 2% tolerance inductors and 6 new RD-0198 tweeters

Thanks, I will consider all your recommendations, I hope I didn’t annoy you with my response to your initial recommendation, it wasn’t my intention. I just wanted to see if it was possible to stick with the vintage sansui I’ve been wanting. I’m trying to learn as much as I can and have been reading up on the upgrades that are available as well. Thanks again for your input

Nope not annoyed at all. I wouldn't want to see fairly rare speakers get trashed or your receiver get smoked trying to get the sound you want from the speakers. The drivers are no longer made and getting more and more expensive to aquire. The passive radiators alone are worth 75.00+ each.