What would you recommend to power these SDA2's

Options
The common ground thing short circuits my brain... I would like to invest in a quality, high end, power amp that will last a life time. Are there any that are great for 2 channel/theater (Arcam)? Or is it one or the other?
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3 TL
Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
Carver M 1.0 MK2 Opt 2 x2
Carver CT Seven Preamp
Bluesound Node 2i

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Bryston offers a 20 year warranty.
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    You should get a ton of replies on this one.. what’s your budget? What else is in the system? You have a preamp already?

I have a McCormack running my SDAs and I’ll probably keep it for a long time. Sound really good together. Before that an Adcom GFA 555 and a few other midfi amps.

There’s much better out there depending on what you want to spend though. Sweet deal on a Parasound 1500a in the classified section right now. That would take care of your needs.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • jbail2011
    jbail2011 Posts: 102
    Options
    JPete wrote: »
    You should get a ton of replies on this one.. what’s your budget? What else is in the system? You have a preamp already?

I have a McCormack running my SDAs and I’ll probably keep it for a long time. Sound really good together. Before that an Adcom GFA 555 and a few other midfi amps.

There’s much better out there depending on what you want to spend though. Sweet deal on a Parasound 1500a in the classified section right now. That would take care of your needs.

Thanks! I will check that out. I haven't set a limit on my budget. I want to buy the best receiver I can. 2-3k would be about as much as I will want to spend
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited April 2019
    Options
    jbail2011 wrote: »

Thanks! I will check that out. I haven't set a limit on my budget. I want to buy the best receiver I can. 2-3k would be about as much as I will want to spend

If you want an all in one solution look for some integrated amps. MOST dual mono aren't common ground but some designs are in fact common ground. I don't have much in the way of experience with Integrated amps as much as I do lowfi stuff and midfi separates.

By the way I have the speakers you do, nice set. If you can't find an Integrated you want to try out I use a Denon PRA-1200 Preamp going to an Adcom GFA545 and I think it is a good combo. Is there better, yes but isn't there always better in audiophilia?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    Sorry, I misunderstood I guess. Are you looking for an HT AV receiver that will also work well in 2 channel for stereo listening with the SDAs?

How many channels will you be running? In that price range you could probably come up with a nice separates system if you don’t mind used gear.

I’m not up on the new receivers, but I’m sure someone can recommend a nice integrated that would work very well in that price range if you don’t want a separate pre/processor and power amp.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • jbail2011
    Options
    Sorry, I misunderstood I guess. Are you looking for an HT AV receiver that will also work well in 2 channel for stereo listening with the SDAs?

How many channels will you be running? In that price range you could probably come up with a nice separates system if you don’t mind used gear.

I’m not up on the new receivers, but I’m sure someone can recommend a nice integrated that would work very well in that price range if you don’t want a separate pre/processor and power amp.

No you were spot on. Thank you. Now I'm thinking about the Parasound you mentioned.... I could honestly care less to use this for AV. My main goal is to listen to music like I used to. I dont want to limit myself to any useful recommendations. I am wide open right now.
    Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • codycatalist
    Options
    If you got the funds go Parasound or B&k for starters. Get an idea of the sound you like, different amps signatures and piece it together.

You'll learn the more you are on here recommending an amp is hit or miss as everyone's tastes are different. I like warm, emotional, less detailed but good Soundstage in my system. You might like more detail, dynamics, huge presentation. Just gotta get your learn on my friend.

You could dip your toes for pretty cheap going the Adcom route but for a couple hundred bucks more you can get B&k or Parasound HCA series.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If your budget is in the $2- $3k range for amplification, sky is the limit. I have less than that in my McCormack and Pass Labs both, pretty close on the Pass tho.

I would definitely consider that Parasound 1500 in the FM, but I'd also say you could get a nice tube preamp like an EE Minimax and a McCormack amp and be in heaven for a long while on less than a $2k budget.

Drew makes a great point about Bryston too.

I would not be considering a receiver with those kinds of funds available for the project.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    what SDA2? Sda2, SDA2'a or SDA2'b? SDA2 and SDA2'a both start at 4ohm and drop lower. 95% of receivers will choke and burn up on 3ohm loads.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    what SDA2? Sda2, SDA2'a or SDA2'b? SDA2 and SDA2'a both start at 4ohm and drop lower. 95% of receivers will choke and burn up on 3ohm loads.

Ivan, if I remember correctly they are EARLY 2Bs. Studio but blade blade.

• jbail2011
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Ivan, if I remember correctly they are EARLY 2Bs. Studio but blade blade.

Yes 2b
    h2nf9gbi0a8l.jpg

Polk Audio SDA 2B TL mod
    Carver CT Seven Preamp
    Bluesound Node 2i
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,168
    edited April 2019
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    If your budget is in the $2- $3k range for amplification, sky is the limit. I have less than that in my McCormack and Pass Labs both, pretty close on the Pass tho.

I would definitely consider that Parasound 1500 in the FM, but I'd also say you could get a nice tube preamp like an EE Minimax and a McCormack amp and be in heaven for a long while on less than a $2k budget.

Drew makes a great point about Bryston too.

I would not be considering a receiver with those kinds of funds available for the project.

I second the McCormack amp/EE MiniMax preamp combo. I bought a McCormack .5 Deluxe amp and EE MiniMax preamp a little over a month ago, solely on the advice of the Polkies on this great forum, and I have been in sonic heaven ever since.

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    edited April 2019
    Options
    For 2-3k budget , I’d get either a used Parasound A21 , new Parasound A21+ , or a new van alstine vision set 400 ....
    I prefer minimum 200 watts and high current ....

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    edited April 2019
    Options
    75 amps of current ....
    Maybe , or maybe not .....
    The ex-442 used hitachi mosfets and then later switched to toshiba mosfets ( this unit was later cosmetically modified and renamed EX-442 Sonata - same amp , new name )...
    The hitachi units only had 50 amps current , the toshibas had 75....

Obviously, you want the toshiba units ...
    50% more current output ...

They can be identified by looking under the hood ,,,
    The hitachi’s are metal cans and the toshibas are green/black - both mounted directly on the heatsinks .....

Bk

audioluvr wrote: »

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO