SDA1b (or early c) - opinions?

Options
2»

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Hey how did your KG4's turn out? Did you go with the titanium tweets or keep the stock ones?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @audioluvr - The KG4’s are SWEET! I bought them to refurbish and flip, but I’m having a tough time wanting to let them go. Refinished the cabinets sanding and Watco Danish oil. Did the Crites TI domes, and his Soniccap kit on a pair of matching crossovers I bought on the bay. (The cabinets had mismatched crossovers when I bought them). A fellow Klipsch enthusiast basically gifted me some like-new grilles and a couple of drivers. Had to repair one of the passives with shoe-goo.

They are really beautiful and very, very, clear, precise, and efficient. The bass is extremely surprising. May be hanging on to them for a while... 😂

3hrtse4hb4c7.jpeg
    l381vs1ksbzc.jpeg
    t1l8vpn8fg0d.jpeg
    ckp3ig9ucyq2.jpeg
    y9fza6ckexmj.jpeg
    un2lg5qhkawf.jpeg
    up4sdtec2by7.jpeg
    Post edited by JayMX on
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    I restored a pair of the Forte's for my barn including the Crites custom crossovers and I don't think they hold a candle to my KG4's! I've got mine as the front speakers in my TV room. No subwoofer and when I first start Netflix and it does that "DUN DUNNN! It about makes you jump out of your skin! With them tilted up a little like you got them, the imaging is superb!

If your original tweeters are still good try them after you've broke in the new crossovers. They are definitely smoother than the Crites titanium ones. Just my opinion.

Those 1B's will be sweet sounding once all your mods are done and they are broke in! I love mine!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    damn nice job!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • JayMX
    edited February 2019
    Options
    So I took some time to listen to these ol gals tonight. Everything sounded great until I turned it up. Nasty resonance in the right cabinet. Fooled around with a tone generator. Sweeping low frequencies I found the vibration @ 110Hz. Check out this video, give me some suggestions on how to glue/seal the cabinet.
    https://youtu.be/M7NR2l3noa4
    Should I just run a bead of powergrab along the seams? I’m guessing this was a miss during manufacturing! Bet this cabinet has buzzed for 32 years!
    cutachhawjw3.jpeg
    hsm3n7wmubfl.jpeg

The left channel cabinet is sealed up good!
    af9j89agq73m.jpeg

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Does it move visibly when you push on it? Yes I'd run a thick bead along all sides after I chiseled off that glue that ran. There are silicone caulk tools that will help push the glue into the corners and up the sides a bit which in turn will seal the cabinet much better.

Hope this helps
  • JayMX
    edited March 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Does it move visibly when you push on it?
    @pitdogg2 - yessir. It appears that they were never glued along those seams when they were assembled. I didn’t remove the polyfill when I was reworking the exteriors and I didn’t notice it the whole time they were disassembled! Any guidance for ways to force glue into the gap between the backplane and sidewalls, short of removing the backplane would be appreciated!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    If there is enough of a gap you may be able to either force very hot hot melt glue or some sort of thin glue that could seep into the seam. Either way the powergrab would be going over it and up the sides a bit on every corner of both cabinets.
  • JayMX
    Options
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Maybe use a 16 gauge needle and syringe.
    How about some extra cross-bracing while you're in there?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • JayMX
    edited March 2019
    Options
    For future reference, the 2-P10 will stick MDF and every other thing it touches together (skin, tools, paper towels, speaker cabinets, cement, table tops, sawdust, shoes, et. al...) that is some crazy stuff, use with caution. Ran a bead down each gap on the inside of the speakers, some clamps to pull the backplane up tight, wicked up in there perfectly, worked like a charm. Ran a bead of powergrab over the top just for good measure. No more resonant buzz. Sade, No Ordinary Love - bass for days. Sweet!

Just need to redo the grille cloth and these will go up for sale! Only took me almost 6 months! Fun project though!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Excellent very glad to hear.
  • JayMX
    Options
    Finally finished with these. Grille cloth has been replaced with the jet black from Speakerworks @Toolfan66 recommended. Great stuff! Was quite a journey. Up for sale. If anyone is interested PM me. Probably not worth it to ship, but I do travel from Salt Lake City to Boise Idaho or south to Las Vegas from time to time.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions!
    xtgavttz6rxh.jpeg
    v6k8hppwlr5q.jpeg
    gm2yy4usppk0.jpeg
    lgs8nxnbm1mh.jpeg
    orqgjyddoxrs.jpeg
    lltjsl33hywi.jpeg
    zhycua4s7obd.jpeg
    qlmtpktxwtgx.jpeg
    z7evtz6xc5hu.jpeg

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Did you rewrap those in new vinyl?
  • JayMX
    Options
    @pitdogg2 nope. It’s ash veneer.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    B E A U T I F U L
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Well it looks fabulous!
    I had thought you did a very good job on the vinyl but now I'm really impressed. I like the bottoms, which had caught my eye in the first place.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    They look great!