Have a couple extra 6.5" drivers; how is the best way to store them?

Options
I have a couple of extra 6.5" Polk drivers; how is the best way to store them?
Thanks, Lou
Marantz PM8004
Marantz SA8004
Marantz NA 6004
Polk SDA 2
Polk SDA 2A
Kef C95

Comments

• JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    Mine are in boxes in a closet.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Voice coil in a vertical orientation.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    I zip tie mine face to face and store in a box.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,030
    Options
    In the oven so the coils won't freeze up

But yes, you want the cone parallel to the surface, it off the way of dust
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If you have 2 drivers find some 1/2-3/4 inch long screw spacers (or cut your own out of some tube). Screw both speakers together with some small bolts with the 4 spacers in between.

The spacers keep the cones from rubbing together and will protect it better. Its not fun unpacking speakers and seeing the dust cap crunched in.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »

Why?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Why?

Long term storage can cause spider/surround sag. With coil in vertical position, spider and surround is evenly pulled on throughout the circumference. If coil is in horizontal position, there is potential for the spider/surround to droop or twist and therefore allow the coil to contact the pole and rub once put back in use. Granted, spinning the speaker 180 will typically resolve that once installed.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Arty my man, you have vertical and horizontal reversed.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    Options
    I suppose it's a matter of perspective...
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, let's put it this way. The drivers should be stored in the horizontal position.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2019
    Options
    With the magnet facing up, and six months later have the magnet facing down.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FestYboy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, let's put it this way. The drivers should be stored in the horizontal position.

To me, that sounds like they are in the same position as when mounted in the enclosure. The cone moves in a horizontal* direction.

Edit: * when mounted normally.
    Post edited by FestYboy on
  • F1nut
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The drivers are mounted in the vertical position. When a driver is sitting on its magnet it is in the horizontal position.

The driver moves in and out.

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    Options
    We're getting into semantics... We both agree on the orientation of said driver regardless of the term used. Yes?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    LOL. This is the Internet. You are either right or wrong. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    edited March 2019
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    With the magnet facing up, and six months later have the magnet facing down.

So you turn them every six months?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    We're getting into semantics... We both agree on the orientation of said driver regardless of the term used. Yes?

Arty, I say this respectfully, it's not semantics. By saying a mounted driver is horizontal when in reality it is vertical is bound to cause someone confusion. Therefore, I think it is imperative to use the proper term. B)

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,684
    Options
    One time I saw an accident where a car flipped over. The driver had been thrown from the car and he was horizontal in the middle of the road.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I believe Its mind over matter ,if you don't mind it don't matter, when made they should be held firmly in their correct position unless previously damaged or some kind of external force pushing them off centre and lets not forget the way they are mouted in their speaker enclosures for their entire life . I would be inclined to lay them on their back ie magnet down after glueing them !
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Based on driver motion....

One doesn't jump horizontally, nor run vertically unless the plane of reference is perpendicular to the observer (i.e. running up a wall).

Add on Atmos speakers (ones placed on top of the existing L & R mains) are faced vertically in accordance to their driver motion and desired sound projection. B)

Semantics... :*

I can see this debate potentially having the same outcome of the great "SDA effect" argument ;)

Anywho: place the driver on a flat (horizontal) surface on it's magnet, or on it's cone. If on it's cone, use a spacer so that the surround doesn't contact the surface.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Now I am confused.........Do you store the speakers the same way as they are mounted in the speakers?

If not. Should you place speakers on their sides for long term storage.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    Now I am confused.........Do you store the speakers the same way as they are mounted in the speakers?

If not. Should you place speakers on their sides for long term storage.

90° from normal orientation. Cone should face the floor or ceiling
  • FestYboy
    Options
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    I would store them vertically.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    jawp14tjoph3.jpeg

I tried that with Milk-Bones once. When I came home, I was not happy.