Need help finding solution for older receiver

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited March 2019 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
My old receiver doesn’t have a way to connect decent speaker wire. Given its age that’s expected.

I was hoping someone might have a solution that would let me use banana plugs without having to hack into it and replace what’s there.

Here is what we are working with...

sdgwhoarz7jv.jpeg

It’s really setup to use bare wire, and likely 16 gauge or higher.... I’m hoping to use lower gauge (have some lying around that is 10 I think) and more importantly bananas or decent spades, neither of which this really will accept
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I could be wrong, but given the screws around the perimeter of that plate... Can you remove it? May be easy to just installing binding posts
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    FR 4 or G10 is your friend
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

I saw those in Zingo's thread.... wasnt sure if they would work for me or not, but I will do some more digging there...
    VR3 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but given the screws around the perimeter of that plate... Can you remove it? May be easy to just installing binding posts

Possibly... I will see about that later tonight..... I'm just OCD about trying to keep it as original as possible. If I can make a "new" plate so I still have the original I may just do that....

I'm wanting to keep the A/B if possible because I may end up running two sets in there at some point...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    crimp-on spade lugs ought to work just fine.
    Those ol' Sherwoods were deceptively good sounding receivers with great FM sections in 'em.
    Got a few of 'em (yes, even the soiled state ones) here.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    The layout and size looks like it would respond well to a binding post. But I also understand your ocd, so carry on!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    edited March 2019
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    So I found these little guys. Screw right into the terminal block, with a banana receptacle at the other.
    r6brbl7latps.png

Look at this solution that Verb found for his McIntosh amp. I have two vintage Infinity servo subs with terminal blocks, and I plan to try these. I purchased those from Amazon but don't like them because each one tends to turn and I am afraid to tighten down too much. This is the thread and on page 5.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184704/a-mcintosh-in-verbs-house/p5
    Post edited by BlueBirdMusic on
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    So I found these little guys. Screw right into the terminal block, with a banana receptacle at the other.
    r6brbl7latps.png

Look at this solution that Verb found for his McIntosh amp. I have two vintage Infinity servo subs with terminal blocks, and I plan to try these. I purchased those from Amazon but don't like them because each one tends to turn and I am afraid to tighten down too much. This is the thread and on page 5.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184704/a-mcintosh-in-verbs-house/p5

That's pretty cool. One will have to determine empirically whether the studs on those are strong enough to support the garden hoses all y'all use for speaker wire, though B)

On the plus side, AFAIK, "Pomona" still = "good stuff".

• EndersShadow
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That's pretty cool. One will have to determine empirically whether the studs on those are strong enough to support the garden hoses all y'all use for speaker wire, though B)

On the plus side, AFAIK, "Pomona" still = "good stuff".

Doc, in this case the wire will be going ON the wall, and likely physically attached to it with some of these doohickeys...

58351.jpg

So I'm not worried about tension, however I may just make a new backplate as that seems the easiest way to go.....

Waiting for warmer weather to clean out the garage a bit too so I can play with placement.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oh.
    ... and my apologies if these've been suggested already...

did the OP consider these?

I put a set of these on my Dynaco SCA-35 when I was using it up at the then second house in NH, mostly 'cause I am lazy.

They're kind of soft ('gold plated' brass) and the banana socket is screwed into the adaptor.
    They work OK. They're not fabulous, but they're OK.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/CONNEX-74405.html

CONNEX-74405.jpg

One may find these on eBAY from all over the world; personally, I felt better buying from Parts Connexion. YMMV, tho', of course.

9608227418_c66be7a0e6_b.jpgDSC_6212 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    ^^^^ Using the screw to banana with a 1965 Fischer X-100 They work great.
    o7dv08h8lxnz.jpg
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    o7dv08h8lxnz.jpg

Looks great but I would shrinkwrap the bananas (or at least cover them with Electrical tape). It looks like one moderate tug when you are messing with things and you would have a short.

Lets just say that would make me nervous

• mhardy6647
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    Faustin wrote: »
    o7dv08h8lxnz.jpg

Looks great but I would shrinkwrap the bananas (or at least cover them with Electrical tape). It looks like one moderate tug when you are messing with things and you would have a short.

Lets just say that would make me nervous

A transformer coupled vacuum tube amp is perfectly happy with a short-circuit across the secondaries -- it's open circuiting the OPTs that can lead to pretty serious damage. :|