Your mower of choice?

Some of you may hire a company to take care of your grass, some may even have it included in your HOA/Condo fees, and maybe even some of you don't even have any grass to cut? (lucky you)
For me, I both enjoy and hate cutting my yard. But I have just purchased the mower to rule them all (not really - just nicer than the old one).
This got me curious what mowers you guys use out there?

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    I haven't had a new mower in awhile, but if I was buying a new one I might consider the self propelled electric ones. Just being able to hear myself think with some headphones on sounds nice. No idea how they hold up over time though.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited March 2019
    I used to enjoy mowing the grass, but eventually got to the point where I was too busy. Plus, it always rains here in central PA and my time never matched the limited dry time we would have. So I sold my mower and we will be moving to western Colorado in a few months where our landscaping is "high desert xeriscaping". No grass to mow! Yeah!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Replaced my mower, that commuted suicide, a couple of years ago. Picked up a John Deere D-105 on sale for $250 off.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Honda all the way for me! 5 yrs. so far with mine and no complaints, worth the extra $$. Always starts and the dual blades give a nice cut.
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    edited March 2019
    Craftsman rider and push mower here. Both over 12yrs old now and still do what they're supposed to. When the time comes, I'll probably look at one of these:

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riders/r-322t-awd/967032102/

I could use 4wd or at least a zero turn to help stability on the hills.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I had a lawn service and fired them.... I've been cutting my own grass with a 22" Husqvarna with a Honda engine... It has 4 wheel drive and is a good mower.However I am considering a 42" ZT mower of which brand I haven't decided yet because cutting grass here in summer is very tough... between the heat and the rain... I'm getting too old to cut in the summer.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,699
    My mower of choice.n3dov6wo26p7.jpg

I actually have two but the second one is not nearly as much of a hoss as the first one.

Still, bright orange...needs tiger stripes, I think. A project for next winter, maybe?

bpf1hp1sphj7.jpg

Oh, second one is a used Ariens that needs a governor fixed. Has a 597cc 18 HP Kohler Courage engine. Geared transaxle. Single cylinder, decent enough for lawn mowing, likes to bog down in real thick/heavy stuff. Not the best for anything else except towing a trailer of yard materials/waste or firewood or something.

First one is an old Craftsman LT1000 something or other. It blew it's engine a couple years ago so I got a new one. It's bigger with 3 more HP than the old one and I actually had to build custom exhaust headers to get them to fit the muffler location. But at 724cc with 24 horsepower and a hydrostatic transaxle, it's got some grunt. Enough to run a 42" wide, 16 inch tall snow thrower attachment.

And yeah, no real brand loyalty, just whatever I can get cheap with the power/options I want. If it's broke, I'll fix it. That's how I got the Ariens.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    Ride or walk Joe?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    While it's not a mower of choice, my tractor is a Cub Cadet. Decent enough but it still takes me 3 1/2 hours to mow the lawn. Will most likely get a stand up Zero turn or one that has a wider swath. 42" just ain't cuttin' it quick enough. It's gonna be expensive because I have the bagger (as pictured below), front bumper and custom built a rack to toe a utility trailer as well as the regular dump trailer/seeder/aerator.

5bcd13c8af3da15146361230.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70&upsize=true

It looks like the one pictured above. Decent mower for the price and I use it and abuse it pretty hard. *knock on wood* No major repairs so far but been through a lot of blades, spindles, bearings, etc. to keep the cut optimum.

It's pretty easy to work on right up to the point to where you have to change the drive belt. That one was a little tricky but as soon as I used a mirror to see what kind of bolt size was under the seat (and metal frame) that held the pully, I was golden. They make these damned things to where they want you to go to a service shop. When you have to mow your yard twice a week during the busy season, no can do. It needs to be up and running asap!

I'd give it a 5 start rating, given how I abuse it beyond what it was built for. This thing does move a LOT of weight....I'll give it that. It'll do a pretty good job of cutting overgrown tall grass too, provided it's not wet grass.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Nothing runs like Deere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mikey081057
    I like this

a81b6u8goj1f.png

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    I know you just bought a new one. What kind and how big?

Ours: A Toro walk behind. Personal pace self propelled. I give this thing 6 stars on a 1-5 scale. :p;)

I have a small yard as you guys have probably seen. This was a one pull start for about 5 years :) before it needed a couple more pulls. This year to start, but it was bone dry, took 8 pulls after I put gas in it. Next time it might be 2 to 3 pulls probably. This is ours and we did get new from Home Depot on sale.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycler-22-in-Briggs-and-Stratton-Personal-Pace-Self-Propelled-Gas-Walk-Behind-Lawn-Mower-with-Electric-Start-20334/100659631
    6t03vi9gcd9t.png

BEST mower I've ever walked behind. I'm sure Honda's are just as nice.

3 1/2 hours and you have a rider? OUCH. Yea, that 42"er needs to be replaced with a 60"er. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    FYI.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF58awcVY98

https://www.wrightmfg.com/products/mowers/commercial/stand-on/stander-x/

This is what I have been eying lately. This should last me a lifetime, where as most mowers (Including the John Deere), the manufacturers stop making parts for the mowers after 7 to 10 years. 3 of my neighbors have recently found this out and had to buy new tractors. All 3 had transmission issues. My other neighbor had this happen with his Husquvarna (sp?) too but he is a whiz at mechanical stuff. He custom fit a newer tranny on his 13 year old tractor.

I was planning on custom making a tow bar for it. Costs a little bit more but my landscaper has one like this and he was able to mow the lawn in a little over an hour. My kind of mower!!!

FWIW...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Toro commercial with the Honda engine for an average yard. Mine is 20 years old.

eXmark if you have acreage to mow. We have them at work and they can handle everything.

When you use commercial equipment at work you can’t go cheap at home.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,162
    Begin rant... how about a mower that has a gas cap that actually has a few rows of threads to screw it on at least 2 full 360 degree turns instead of a half row of threads where the cap only turns about an 1/8 of a turn! >:) .....end rant.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • Mikey081057
    I just went down to the local dealer and bought the Exmark. It's nice that they are like 2 miles away and come to you to do service. I was amazed that the place was as clean and nice as the Lexus dealer....added a mulching kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEePbakTV1A

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Loved my Honda push mower; never had a single problem with it. I'm in a city house now so sold the Honda to my old neighbor and am cutting the grass with a weed eater. Takes about 15-20 minutes!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    I picked up one of these last year. Sure has reduced my mowing time.

bwevef0wtz9r.jpg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,618
    Been running my same Deere rider for 18 years with no issues. Should have many years left in it.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Push mow, Husqvarna AWD. Great exercise on these giant hills I live on!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    tratliff wrote: »
    I picked up one of these last year. Sure has reduced my mowing time.

NO doubt! usually it too me over an hour to mow the front and back - sometimes more in the late summer when grass is growing like mad
    yesterday i ran through both in 20 mins
    wowzer!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Cub Cadet. Bought the self propelled one in '87 and still starts on the first pull. Had a Craftsman rider for 28 years and when it finally ship the bed 3 years ago I replaced it with a new XT1 with the 24hp Kohler (Cummins owns Kohler). Love that thing. Bought the snow blower attachment and enclosed cab for it the following year so this thing works hard year around.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    yw2dv6fmkzrx.jpg

I've owned this for about 9-10 years. Excellent machine.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Husqvarna push with Honda engine as well. Only have 1/4 acre and takes 45-50 min.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    My Deere X350 was bundled with the sale of my house.
    Will most likely buy another one. May look at zero turn...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,053
    My mower of choice is the guy that charges us $35 for mowing an acre of grass.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,583
    edited March 2019
    Last season I bought a husqvarna off Amazon with a Honda motor. Self propelled. Not AWD. Very heavy duty. Bought a new Lawn Boy the season before that, because I always had the 2 stroke ones. New LB’s are junk! Everything is plastic. Husky was night and day better made. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”