MIT

What model/series of MIT speaker cables interconnects do you guys recommend? I'm done buying components & speakers and thought I would try something new wire wise. I use signalcable now and will probably be looking to buy used.

Thanks,
G
HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    The Shotgun series was the sweet spot, sound and price wise. The new offerings are unfortunately priced considerably higher.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    Okay thank you sir!
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    I browsed the mit site a few months ago and saw this item

https://mitcables.com/product/acc-268-articulation-control-console/

And then looked over everything thing else. At their asking price, I'm not sure how you could sit for a week afterwards.

I'm sure they sound nice but I'm also sure they would experience 75% plus plus plus depreciation directly after purchase.

Agree with f1nut, the shotgun series is very nice and can be found at a reasonable cost.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    VR3 wrote: »

What is that? a $90k external EQ box?
  • VR3
    Those are speaker cables with adjustable articulation
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
  • F1nut

Clipdat wrote: »

What is that? a $90k external EQ box?

Hardly. Plenty of info out there if you really care to know.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

I'm sure they sound nice but I'm also sure they would experience 75% plus plus plus depreciation directly after purchase.

Not the same model, but close. I'd say they are holding their value pretty well.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649466115-mit-acc-206-articulation-control-console-speaker-cables/

We used the TOTL Oracle cables on the LSiM'S at the Capitol Audio Show. Pretty darn nice I have to say.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    The oracle series can be found at respectable prices. I would pay 3k for cables used, I just have a hard time seeing how an extra 90k could improve that much over a set that sold at say 10k.

That really is that extra 1%, how much is it worth
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited March 2019
    Not wanting to start a cable debate here because I am a believer that they can make a huge difference, but I must say that I would rather have 25k worth of speakers on 2500 dollar cables rather than 25k cables on 2500 dollar speakers. Some of these cable prices are just beyond stupid...

I am glad I got my AQ Meteor Bi-Wire 12 footers for 1400 used because there is no way I ever would have paid the 16k retail. And yes, AQ confirmed they are the real deal.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    My Shotguns are going nowhere, not sure why MIT did away with the other offerings, nor have I looked into it but they seemed to sell well when they had them..
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,035
    ^^^^^^Agreed; my rig has no other cabling other than Shotguns and I have zero desire to try any others.
    The MIT Terminator series is another good choice for the op. Not as good as the Shotguns but they're still a very good cable
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^^^Quite the impressive stack!! But how about the MH series Shotgun speaker wires.....where they be hidin at?
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    Not wanting to start a cable debate here because I am a believer that they can make a huge difference, but I must say that I would rather have 25k worth of speakers on 2500 dollar cables rather than 25k cables on 2500 dollar speakers. Some of these cable prices are just beyond stupid...

I am glad I got my AQ Meteor Bi-Wire 12 footers for 1400 used because there is no way I ever would have paid the 16k retail. And yes, AQ confirmed they are the real deal.

I completely agree. But don't forget that the buyers of the top end cables are not usually budget constrained like many of us.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    That's why buying used higher end cables is your best bet. They lose value too quickly from full retail. Most anything in audio loses value quickly.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    So I've now collected pairs of MIT AVt1, Terminator 2 and Shotgun S3.3 speaker cables. Honestly, can't hear much difference between the AVt1 & T2's but the Shotguns have migrated to my main 1.2tl-based rig for sure.

Will soon be building up another dreadnought as soon as Mr. FedEx pays my front door a visit with the transformer from the recent group buy. I've seen many use MIT cables for the IC runs minus the "box". Would like to give this a try on the new build and if it works, replace Belden 5T00UP 10awg runs on my other dreadnughts.

Questions:
    - What cables are you guys using to do this?
    - Are you cutting up high $$ Shotguns to match the amp->speaker cables or will lesser versions make an audible impact? Several versions of Terminator wires on the market currently for a reasonable cost. Not sure I could bring myself to take wire cutters to Shotguns.
    - Are the wires physically different between the terminator series (T2 vs T5 for example) or are the grades tuned solely on the "boxes"?
    - How difficult to wire a cut cable into Speak-On's? Strands individually lacquered like OCC wire or can they be conventionally stripped?

Thanks for any input.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• motorstereo
    ^^^^I chopped up a pair of t4 bi-wires for use on my A1. Life would've been much easier for me if there wasn't 4 conductors and the thicker than normal cable. I had to hog out the end of the neutrik almost to the point of it losing it's structural strength. The 4 wires were also a pain to fudge into those connectors. But it was the last spot of my rig that didn't have MIT's so it had to be done. If you have a pair of regular 2 conductor cables I'm thinking it'll be a breeze.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    is there a list of hierarchy for their cables?
  • RobbyKY
    Sounds like I need to seek out a set of Terminator "Full Range" cables.

Those bi-wire versions have the OD of a good size garden hose so was wondering how to get it all shoved into the cap/strain relief or if you just ran the wires in minus the outer insulator.

Thanks for the feedback.
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• motorstereo
    I was only able to squeeze the insulation a short ways and that's after hogging the hole out 3 sizes on a step drill. The techflex wouldn't go inside so I covered some of the neutrik with it. The good thing is it's done and I think it's a sonic upgrade over the basic wire I was using. All those little upgrades ad up.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2019
    RobbyKY wrote: »
    So I've now collected pairs of MIT AVt1, Terminator 2 and Shotgun S3.3 speaker cables. Honestly, can't hear much difference between the AVt1 & T2's but the Shotguns have migrated to my main 1.2tl-based rig for sure.

Will soon be building up another dreadnought as soon as Mr. FedEx pays my front door a visit with the transformer from the recent group buy. I've seen many use MIT cables for the IC runs minus the "box". Would like to give this a try on the new build and if it works, replace Belden 5T00UP 10awg runs on my other dreadnughts.

Questions:
    - What cables are you guys using to do this?
    - Are you cutting up high $$ Shotguns to match the amp->speaker cables or will lesser versions make an audible impact? Several versions of Terminator wires on the market currently for a reasonable cost. Not sure I could bring myself to take wire cutters to Shotguns.
    - Are the wires physically different between the terminator series (T2 vs T5 for example) or are the grades tuned solely on the "boxes"?
    - How difficult to wire a cut cable into Speak-On's? Strands individually lacquered like OCC wire or can they be conventionally stripped?

Thanks for any input.

The T2 bi-wire uses the same cable as the Shotgun bi-wire. I have used both for the SDA cable.

It takes some doing. Each run has two runs inside. Under the first layer is very fine angel hair wire, then under the second is solid core. You'll see what I mean. You have to be very careful cutting the insulation otherwise you'll cut into the angel hair. Once you get the wires exposed twist them together and solder to the SpeakOn tabs.

You will need to remove the rubber bushing on the end bell, then the clamp that held it in. After that you can enlarge the ID of the end bell to 22mm or cut off the end of the end bell to obtain that diameter. You will need the 4 pole version, NLT4FX-BAG.

Here's one I did using T2 bi-wire cable.

o4jf4ltzad2e.jpg

6dv5b6j0o004.jpg

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    I’m runnng current stock Transparent Premium AES into the Supremo ... SQ is very good
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Not my intention to thread jump, but fwiw I’ll have a 20’ pair of EXP S2’s in the flea market soon.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    stretchl wrote: »
    Not my intention to thread jump, but fwiw I’ll have a 20’ pair of EXP S2’s in the flea market soon.

Nice cables, but buyer beware... these are your entry into yet another audio rabbit hole.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    @RobbyKY Here's a cutaway of those cables. With help from Jesse...big thanks, he saved me some grief when preparing them for the SpeakOn connectors.

Definitely go slow, take your time, and cut carefully.

hamxfpnrk1g4.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited March 2019
    Good pic Doug.

For anyone making SDA cables from these, the two separate solid core wires in each run that you see in the pic are not used for this purpose.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    A bunch of guys snapped up the longer EXPS-2 cables that I sold recently to chop up for their dreadnaughts.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    The difference between my late model Terminator 2's and Shotgun's was HUGE (I/C's and speakers). Shotguns or better is where MIT starts to shine.

As far as a Drednaught cable, it's bit pricey chopping up Shotgun cables. I am using Canare 4S11 Star Quad cable for my SDA inter-connect and it's just peachy

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • RobbyKY
    @F1nut and @gmcman

Thanks a million! Pictures are really worth a thousand words in his case. Looks like I'll be going the T2 route.