My PSW125 gets very hot after one hour in standby

Options
My PSW125 gets very hot after one hour in standby and, of course, do not amplify the signal received and the bass, this way, is very poor. I wish to ask Polk if it is possible to buy a new amplifier.

Best Answer

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Good to hear from you as well, sorry you're having a problem. At this point it might be best to contact Polk's CS manager: Kim Jasper at: Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com
    I know they are very busy at the moment, so it might take a couple of days from him to respond.

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. The bass amplifier can be purchased as a replacement part. Where do you live?
    Regards, Ken
  • gazumba
    Options
    Nice to hear from you, Ken! In the past, you sent repair parts to me in Brazil (São Paulo). This amplifier was "fixed" (may, 2014) by a technical partner of Disac (Stillvox) but the subwoofer with the "new" amplifier I installed it on a switched AC outlet of my Denon 3808. As my new Denon 4200 has no switched output to the subwoofer, I realized that the amplifier that was "fixed" two years ago was bad too... Worse, the subwoofer was chipped in the front-base by Stillvox. Now, they from Stillvox are asking me to pay US$500.00 (BR$1600.00) for a new amplifier... Unbelievable! Well, please, tell me the price of a new amplifier plus the handling and shipping to Brazil. Thanks in advance.
  • gazumba
    Options
    As Polk Audio do not like their customers (my first speakers date from 1997!), my PSW125 still warming and, unformtunately, Polk did not answer my questios about to buy a neu amplifier (now I'm using an alternative ProSub 800 Definitive Tech). Though, I sent many e-mails to Polk team without any answer! My new question: canI use some alternative amplifier of another model? If the answer is YES, what model and can I buy from Polk?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    the subwoofer with the "new" amplifier I installed it on a switched AC outlet of my Denon 3808.

I take it you didn't read wattage limit for those switched outlets on the Denon because you cannot plug something like a subwoofer into them, it draws too much.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gazumba
    Options
    Thanks for your help! Well, the subwoofer PSW125 was not plugged on my Denon in any tests. And, of couse, it warms up disconnected from any equipment. Now, I'm asking about to change the amplifier by Polk Audio PSW111 & RF111 Amplifier RF1145-2 (100-240v).
  • gazumba
    Options
    Oh! I forgot: it is not my Denon that warms up. The problem is about PSW125!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You stated it was plugged into the Denon originally and after it was repaired, which is likely the reason the sub amp is damaged. I don't know if an amp from a different sub will work, but doubt it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gazumba
    Options
  • EthanC
    EthanC Posts: 4
    Options
    MOSFET bias potentiometers are out of adjusment causing the amplifier to generate heat in standby. Easy fix if you can make the correct adjustments inside the speaker.
  • gazumba
    gazumba Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you. Unfortunately I sent my SW to a technician and he told me that there are many burned parts. He is trying to fix.