Can ARC capability be added to a non-ARC HDMI TV using some sort of port?

I would like to be able to not use my optical port for the TV audio.

Best Answer

Answers

• rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,989
    There are probably other options for your set. They’ll be in the owner’s manual under connection options.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,873
    ARC ? Audio return channel??
  • Yes, audio return channel. I don't know if that functionality is a part of the TV itself, or just part of the HDMI ARC port, If it's the latter, it seems to me it could be added via a plug-in component.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,873
    AFAIK it is part of the cable as another small wire inside the cable. It is not something you can "add on"
    Once again AFAIK.
    I could be wrong
  • Ok, I did a little more research and I think the answer is that - basically - ARC is part of the TV circuitry. The TV has to provide an audio channel in the HDMI ARC port. You can't add it on externally. So I have to use the optical port for audio from the TV to the soundbar. Supposedly, the HDMI (non-ARC) port is then used to provide other capabilities. Exactly what capabilities I'm not sure of yet. For example, although I do get sound out of the soundbar, I do not have any visual graphical volume indicator, which kind of sucks. Also, I can't connect my network to the damn thing, but that's not a wiring issue. I'm probably going to return it.
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,327
    The ARC (Audio Return Channel) IS a part of the later HDMI standards (I say later, because they keep updating them and I lost track a while ago) You are correct in that the TV must have the appropriate circuitry built inside in order to make use of that feature. Not all TV’s do (especially if it’s an older set- meaning more than three years old)
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,327
    edited March 19
    I use my ARC on my smart TV when I’m streaming stations with the Tune in Radio app or Netflix or YouTube. The audio from them goes through the HDMI ARC back to my preamp and out to my home theater so I can hear the sound. It essentially makes the HDMI bi-directional. However when you purchase a smart tv you have to do your due diligence (meaning do your homework) before your purchase to see what features you want or need and what you are willing to pay for, versus what the tv has. The more they got, the more they cost.
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.