They Shall Not Grow Old

Anyone happen to see this documentary? Lately I have been getting back into my military history obsession and stumbled across this film by Peter Jackson.

What he has done with this footage is amazing. WW1 restored in color with sound (they hired forensic lip readers to find out what they were saying) at 24 frames per second. It is a completely new look and emotional attachment to see this in color. This films gets my high praise.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Would love to watch it.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Have not seen it yet, but definitely want to.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Would love to watch it.

Now I am not one to pirate (argh) but just saying, if you search "they shall not grow old" on google and click "Watch Movie" the first link goes to a site where you can watch for free. Outside of that most places I see $19.99 but WORTH every penny.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • codycatalist
    Also might as well add the first part of the FANTASTIC 7 part series on WW1 by Dan Carlin. While he does focus on leaders and strategies he also dives deep into the human aspect of these wars/events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFMT_BVBBsA

Yes that's right...7 parts...about 4 hours each.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Yea watching on a 4.5" tracfone is no bueno
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I saw it. Fantastic! Didnt stuck around for the after footage, but glad I saw the Doc.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2019
    Son and I saw it in a theater last month. Amazing resolution on a very large screen and the sound was phenomenal.

Loved that it wasn't much of an interpretation by the director but his goal was to get out of the way and let actual WWI vets tell their story, in their own words. Archival war and interview footage from the Brits; one of the best presentations I've seen.

I've traveled extensively through the WWI and WWII sites. Year and a half ago went to the Verdun battlefields and really gained a much better appreciation for what WWI battle and post war terrain was like. From what I remember the majority of the footage is from French Flanders. This movie really brought it to life.

The technology used to make this film modern and relevant is amazing and nothing like you've ever seen. Do watch the additional interview afterwards...explains why it was done and demonstrates the technology used to modernize the original footage. For the geek in me it was just as interesting as the film.

Every other footage you've seen on the great wars is just that....same old, same old. This is a new benchmark. Strongly recommend seeing it in the theater if it's still playing.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Thanks for posting, I will look forward to seeing this. My son, a Marine Sergeant, along with some other Marines visited Belleau Wood. A farmer owns the land where the battle was fought so they asked him if they could "walk it". Once they told him they were U.S. Marines it was a none issue. They also drank from the "Devil Dog" water fountain that was erected in memory of the Marines that fought there.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The BBC showed this on TV a few weeks ago when I was in England because they helped fund the project. It was designed by Peter Jackson for the big screen though, and would be a better experience in a theater.

One of my great grandfathers was a farrier in the British army before the war started. He lasted the full four years in artillery tending to the horses that were necessary to moving that equipment around back then, but would have most likely been dead in the first month or year if he had been in the front line trenches. And I wouldn't exist.
  • codycatalist
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The BBC showed this on TV a few weeks ago when I was in England because they helped fund the project. It was designed by Peter Jackson for the big screen though, and would be a better experience in a theater.

One of my great grandfathers was a farrier in the British army before the war started. He lasted the full four years in artillery tending to the horses that were necessary to moving that equipment around back then, but would have most likely been dead in the first month or year if he had been in the front line trenches. And I wouldn't exist.

I tried to see if my family had any history of WW1 but alas no one knows although my family has a DEEP root in the military. Your family history sounds fascinating.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    My grandmother's brother was killed after the official end of the war because the word hadn't got to where he was yet.
  • codycatalist
    dromunds wrote: »
    My grandmother's brother was killed after the official end of the war because the word hadn't got to where he was yet.

Yes, I read that some were fighting up to 2 weeks after Germany surrendered and signed treaties. Sad but at that time it was the way the work was. Do you know which Country he fought for?

• dromunds
    He was a US soldier.
  • codycatalist
    He was a US soldier.

The sacrifice men made during this war is humbling. I appreciate what he did for the world during this travesty of violence. As horrible as it was it is inspiring to see people rise up against an evil regime.

• dromunds
    Yeah, imagine this: my grandmother’s father came from Germany and then his son went to fight against Germany that short time later and gave his life to fight that regime.
  • codycatalist
    Yeah, imagine this: my grandmother’s father came from Germany and then his son went to fight against Germany that short time later and gave his life to fight that regime.

Wow. How heartbreaking, these men were cut from special cloth.

• dromunds
    Not only that but my other grandmother’s name was Eva! Imagine being named Eva after WWII, as that was the name of Hitler’s girlfriend/wife.
  • codycatalist
    Not only that but my other grandmother’s name was Eva! Imagine being named Eva after WWII, as that was the name of Hitler’s girlfriend/wife.

Lolololol I hope they didn't buy any Braun products!

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Finally watched this movie last night with my son. He's not a big war movie fan, but he (and I) really liked it! Amazing restoration and enhancement to the original footage. Didn't even try to get the Mrs to watch! Highly recommended! :)
    https://youtu.be/PcgceA64aAI
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Saw it at a small local theater outside of town last summer. I think what struck me most was the overarching willingness to endure during something that we would now consider un-endurable. They did the best they could with what they had and thankfully, it was enough (with a little help...lol).
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, I will look forward to seeing this. My son, a Marine Sergeant, along with some other Marines visited Belleau Wood. A farmer owns the land where the battle was fought so they asked him if they could "walk it". Once they told him they were U.S. Marines it was a none issue. They also drank from the "Devil Dog" water fountain that was erected in memory of the Marines that fought there.

Thank your son for us... and tell him we said Semper FI!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Going to have to watch this one
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills