So... I happened to be looking at an eBAY listing for a cheap clone amplifier

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
edited March 2019 in Electronics
Saw a link to this eBAY listing for an "Accuphase Clone" amplifier from an Asian manufacturer -- to wit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-HiFi-Pure-Power-Amplifier-Class-A-AB-200W-Inspired-by-Accuphase-Black/253993718997?epid=18026262024&hash=item3b233494d5:g:Rx0AAOSwnWpb9hob

Looks fairly nice inside and out...

e06pzxsvytbv.png

6la4qmrz45gi.png

but wait! Look a tad closer.

9wb16q0ovisq.png

What's up with those smaller heat sinks (the ones to the right of the "ELNA audiophile" electrolytics)? They appear to have been savaged from an electronics recycling dump or something...

Just thought that was odd, wry, and interesting.

:#

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Why not hop on a plane brotha and come to Chicago for AXPONA ? You can hear all the variants on your wish list, and spend some quality time with ….us. That may be a deterrent, but the gear is worth the pain and suffering. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    umm... why the heck would I be looking for an amplifier like that? :p The listing was posted in a thread about -- well -- cheap Chinese amplifiers. I have a tendency to click on links (so, yeah, I am sure advertisers love me).

I just thought the obvious use of reclaimed materials in that amp was kind of amusing (and disheartening) :#
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,048
    The specs on that thing surprisingly don't appear that bad and at 40+lbs it even has some heft. Get an Accuphase badge to put over Nobsound and have some fun fooling the fellows. It could be a one off Accuphase prototype snuck home by a friend in their engineering dept.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Could just be a supplier quality issue, the cosmetics won't affect the function, and who runs it without the cover on? (Devil's advocate here)
  • mhardy6647
    Made out of leftover pieces -- yup, might fool lotsa folks ;)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited March 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

What's up with those smaller heat sinks (the ones to the right of the "ELNA audiophile" electrolytics)? They appear to have been savaged from an electronics recycling dump or something...

:#

Many times voltage regulators need heat sinking. My EE pre and dac have heat sinking for the voltage rectifiers.

H9

P.s. my bad, I thought you were asking their function, not about condition...

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    oh, I know why they're there ;) but the pair in that photo look like they were rode hard and put away wet, as some folks would say.

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    ... but it's got transistors in it, and it's more than 5 watts per channel. At least, I imagine it's more than 5 wpc.