Question for the can guys...

Daughter asked for headphones for her birthday. She asked for Beats solo something. Wife and boyfriend bought some off eBay and they were crap. Thinking they were fakes. Looking for recommendations. Casual listening and workouts. She seems to want an over ear type but it would seem to me that an in ear type would be better for working out. Thoughts?

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    I can't imagine going over-ear for workouts, but I think Paul @rooftop59 does. I wouldn't look at him funny, but some people do.

I don't like on ear at all, so I'd be looking at some decent earbuds of some sort, personally. I tried some cheap ones as an experiment, reading some stuff on head-fi, but they did not satisfy.

Those around-the-neck Bluetooth things seem popular?

Definitely poke around a little over at head-fi.

I don't like them janks that you wrap the wire over your ear either, and prefer the silicon whatever-you-call-ems vs the foam. They stay in better for me.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2019
    Daughter asked for headphones for her birthday. She asked for Beats solo something. Wife and boyfriend bought some off eBay and they were crap. Thinking they were fakes. Looking for recommendations. Casual listening and workouts. She seems to want an over ear type but it would seem to me that an in ear type would be better for working out. Thoughts?

You have a wife AND a boyfriend??? :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    I knew that was coming. Maybe it's the wife and her boyfriend... Think of that?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2019
    I knew that was coming. Maybe it's the wife and her boyfriend... Think of that?

Then she would be an Ex-wife... man, this thread is looking to be a plot-line for a Jerry Springer episode.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Hi Ken,

For working out, my wife uses the Plantronics BackBeat FIT 3100 earbuds. They aren't the last word in fidelity but they are very comfortable and they stay put when she's exercising.

Perhaps one set of earbuds/in-ear monitors for exercising and another set of over the ear for listening at home? One of my favorite closed back cans is the V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition with Qualcomm aptX and AAC in Matte White. Not the last word in fidelity either but they are really comfortable, they look cool, and they are fun to listen to for extended periods of time. Open-backed headphones like the Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX are going to be some of the best sounding but they aren't suited for working out and their open-back design will allow in ambient noise.

Does your daughter want noise canceling headphones? That's a different animal altogether.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    msg wrote: »
    I can't imagine going over-ear for workouts, but I think Paul @rooftop59 does. I wouldn't look at him funny, but some people do.

I don't like on ear at all, so I'd be looking at some decent earbuds of some sort, personally. I tried some cheap ones as an experiment, reading some stuff on head-fi, but they did not satisfy.

Those around-the-neck Bluetooth things seem popular?

Definitely poke around a little over at head-fi.

I don't like them janks that you wrap the wire over your ear either, and prefer the silicon whatever-you-call-ems vs the foam. They stay in better for me.

Listen here Scotty boy people look at me funny but it ain't cause I where over-ear for workouts lol. That's just the face God gave me...

I use these when I use anything: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFHJH4G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nope, don't sound great, but plenty good for working out. I also use them on planes when people won't shut up. When you're working out or dealing with a really noisy environment like a plane high fidelity is going to be wasted anyway IMHO...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    My workout headphones are the NuForce BE6i bluetooth and they sound great and reduce background noise.

I also have an inexpensive pair of Sennheiser (don't remember the model) over the ear headphones and they sound great, and I don't worry about breaking them.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2