The 8K Televisions are here...

Samsung draws first blood.... Not certain yet if it is worth the move as NOTHING is available for it, and 4K is finally taking off.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-8k-tvs/s/_/n-10+11+hv1uh+zq2mj/
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Ouch!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I will upgrade my 75" 4K Sony Z9D when a wall 32K is available.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I noted the reviewers say it has a bright display. Just as I don't like bright music I definitely do not like bright displays. Pass.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Much ado about... something? But really, how much brighter/sharper/vivid can a TV get? Only good thing for me is it will probably drive the prices of 4K down (when I'm finally ready to buy one in 3 years LOL)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Would it matter if it was 8k-12k or 24k ? What material is available in those resolutions.

I'd imagine one buys an 8k tv for the upsampling, same as they would a 4k. In which case the processor and screen are going to be the 2 most important factors.

If broadcast material doesn't get any better though, how much upsampling can you do ? Plus with millions of people cutting the cord every year and going to streaming, hows that going to work ? Physical material is lagging also.

From the cheap seats, it looks like technology in TV's is going in one direction, while everything else is stuck in a rut. Kinda reminds me of the Star wars movies. Technology up the ying yang, but when they go to watch something it's all blurry.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mmmm -- still analog CRT here, so this is not big news at our house. Y'all have fun chasing the HD dragon :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems to me this is a first. First in that many of the broadcast and satellite companies have yet to dive into the 4k infrastructure pool. Will these need the new fiber optic HDMI cable to be able to get content to the panel?
  • BlueFox
    Who knows. Marketing.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    This will likely go the way of 3D in the US.

But we forget that there are WAY more people in Indo-Asia who can afford this stuff. We are no longer the drivers of this kind of tech.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mmmm -- still analog CRT here, so this is not big news at our house. Y'all have fun chasing the HD dragon :)

Dude, you are not THAT old. Even my father in law upgraded to a hi-def display like 10 years ago ;) . Just sell a few of those silver boxes :D
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mhardy6647
    rooftop59 wrote: »

But we forget that there are WAY more people in Indo-Asia who can afford this stuff. We are no longer the drivers of this kind of tech.

That is true -- and a good point.
  • BlueFox
    I can understand rarely watching TV, for example only news bulletins with a cheap a s s TV. However, for anything else, a good TV is necessary.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Although the 8k technology, at first glance, sounds like impressive technology, I’m personally more interested in the actually screens for this technology. Reason is minimum screen size to see a benefit to this technology.

There is really no benefit to go from 720 to 1080 technology until the screen size is about 40 inches, for example. The screens are just to small to see a benefit. Same holds true for 4K technology. Somewhere around 50 inchesis the smallest screen size to see those benefits. I’m just guessing here, but screen sizes to see the benefit of 8k would have to be around 65 inches.

When 4K was introduced, 65 inch screens became available to low end tvs. I’m well aware that the processor is as important as screen quality, I compared tv picture quality for months, before I bought one. When I purchased my 65 inch tv, the list price was $1600, and would have preferred the 75 inch version, but at $2700, I just didn’t think I could justify the additional expense.

Although like many here, I wouldn’t buy an 8k set, just because it is capable of that resolution, with no current support. I currently plan on keeping this set for 7-10 years, but I know me. If an 85 inch version of this set came out, as good as or better picture quality, for that $2700 price point, I’m pretty sure I would buy one within the next 2 years.

Just a slightly different way to look at this. If like me, you can fit a set that is 10 inches or larger into your room, and didn’t because of budget constraints, this could be bad news for your wallet. Without a doubt I’ll personally be glancing at prices and reviews of larger screen sets in a couple of years, and hopefully won’t see a dramatic price drop in the very large screen sets.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Y'all will need these to see the different pthh41dw8h7u.jpg
  • rooftop59
    afterburnt wrote: »

Bruce is that you?!? Handsome fella... ;)
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59

This also drives your despised Marvel and DC comics movie franchises. Per a report on NPR, rom coms and dramas like even Crazy Rich Asians don't do well in...Asia of all places, because they churn out their own popular dramadies that are culturally specific and more relatable. But Optimus Prime and Batman are pan-cultural apparently...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Limited reviews so far on Best Buy's website, but it appears half of the reviews are for the sets breaking in the first week with power supply issues.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    On a 55" TV, I can't see the difference between 4K and 1080P. I would think you have to go up to at least 65" or more to see it.

An 8K TV, would have to be huge before I could tell the difference between it and 4K, I imagine.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    My local Magnolia store has seen the 8k and you need at least a 75-85” set to see it. They are not impressed.
    I was told a Z9 Sony will still be king against these new sets.
    Just look at the Kuro sets and how long they were on top. Still are in some ways.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • mhardy6647

This also drives your despised Marvel and DC comics movie franchises. Per a report on NPR, rom coms and dramas like even Crazy Rich Asians don't do well in...Asia of all places, because they churn out their own popular dramadies that are culturally specific and more relatable. But Optimus Prime and Batman are pan-cultural apparently...

Yup, that's been the case for quite a few years now.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

I am good looking but not that good looking.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662

Just shave the head and add a goatee and nailed it! =P

I kid I kid Bruce.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2019
    ...meh....I'm still waiting for ALL channels to even get to 1080p.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2