8 Ohm load

MusicinOz
MusicinOz Posts: 4
edited March 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
With jumpers removed from RTi-A9 speakers, do both binding posts present a nominal 8 ohm load? Saw an earlier thread and imo opinion no clear answer was given. This is yes or no. Not looking to get flamed for this question. I will be using 2 Luxman M-120A in BTL for 300 watts on the woofer section and a Luxman M-02 in stereo for 150 watts to the mid/tweeter. Thanks.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Maybe
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Maybe

Thanks for the input F1nut.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2019
    Did Stereophile ever review these loudspeakers? If so, there should be about as accurate & meaningful of an impedance curve in the quantitative measurements section of the review as you'll ever find anyplace (including from the manufacturer) for this particular model.

Impedance of any loudpeaker using "normal" (cone or dome) dynamic drivers and passive crossovers will never be well represented by a single number. Not no way, not no how (to quote the guard, IIRC, in The Wizard of Oz).

So -- "maybe" may be even overstating things a bit!

:#
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Thanks for the input F1nut.

You're welcome. It was the correct answer.
    MusicinOz wrote: »
    With jumpers removed from RTi-A9 speakers, do both binding posts present a nominal 8 ohm load? Saw an earlier thread and imo opinion no clear answer was given. This is yes or no. Not looking to get flamed for this question. I will be using 2 Luxman M-120A in BTL for 300 watts on the woofer section and a Luxman M-02 in stereo for 150 watts to the mid/tweeter. Thanks.

What you really need to concern yourself with is having a way to match the gain of the different amplifiers.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I suppose the question is because the M120a would be run bridged to mono and therefore be unstable into lower than 8 ohm loads?

If so, I’d try a different arrangement anyway because I don’t like the drawbacks of running amps that way.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Just went through this. Most likely they are not and you would have to do your best at gain matching the highs and lows. Not easy
    Better off getting the power you want out of a mono block per tower.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Just went through this. Most likely they are not and you would have to do your best at gain matching the highs and lows. Not easy
    Better off getting the power you want out of a mono block per tower.
    But where to find a pair??? :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    lol!
    Believe it or not that did not cross my mind until you mentioned it, although it seemed that I had an ulterior motive
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    I would think both posts should be nominal 8 oms (but if you blow something who am I and why are you taking my free advice).

If this speaker was wired for one input they wouldn't design it so the tweeters was at one ohm and the woofers at 16. That does not average to 8. The lower resistance circuit would get most of the power and fry itself.

For a reality check test the resistance at both posts with a multimeter. It won't read 8 ohms (that is inductance when playing) but it should read around 6 ohms.