Ranking Polk Speakers - From Best to Worst

Options
mlong
mlong Posts: 134
edited March 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hi. I'm new here and looking to purchase my first Polk Audio speakers. I have looked around for everyones thoughts about the pros and cons of each speaker. I would love to purchase some Monitor 10's and have been looking at some SDA's. Being new, however, I am not familiar enough with the products to know which speakers are better than others. Obviously, it would seem that the Monitor 10 is better than the Monitor 4 but I don't know whether the 10's are better than the SDA or the more recent ones. Obviously these are subjective answers but there seems to be a general consensus about certain models (everyone loves the Monitor 10's).

For people like me who are new, could some of those in the know maybe list the most sought after/ highly treasured models in order from most to least. This would really help as I look to buy (I would hate to pay $300 for speakers that aren't really great and then passing on paying $50 for a pair of Monitor 10's because I didn't know they were so good).

BTW, I am looking to pick up some speakers to use for either the main speaker or for a surround sound speaker.

Thanks!

Mark
[HOME THEATRE]
Samsung LED HDTV - Pioneer VSX-1014TX (AVR) - Parasound HCA-1200 II - Philips DVP642 (DVD)
Polk Monitor 10B (Side Surround) - Bang & Olufsen P45 (Rear Surround) - Polk CSi30 (Center Channel)
SVS PB12-ISD/2 (Sub)
Post edited by mlong on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited December 2004
    Options
    IMO,

SDA's
    Monitor's
    RTA's
    LSi's
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I'll go along with that list. I've listened to a couple of pair of the SDA line and now own SDA2's. (Some day the biggun's)
    As far as the monitor 10s well.... they were the pair that got me hooked on the Polk band wagon.
    Next up probably the RTA15t's that I've got a line on. Maybe just for a little while but mainly i'll get them for the fun factor. I've listened to a
    short demo of them and liked what I heard but .... they aren't SDAs and probably won't displace them in my main rig.
    Can't say anything about the LSI's just have heard very good reviews of them.

Dave
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2004
    Options
    SDA's are the ONLY line that you can win at every step, damn near a perfect loudspeaker series if there ever was one.

The rest are just a loose gaggle of wanna-be's.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Doro's in the groove tonight!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited December 2004
    Options
    SDA In production and earlier....

BETTER

SDA discontinued until now

WORSE

Thats the way I see it anyways! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    SDA In production and earlier....

BETTER

SDA discontinued until now

WORSE

Thats the way I see it anyways! :)

Huh??
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I would chime in that while I like the Monitor 10, there are several other non-SDA Polks that I prefer. Top of the list being the Monitor 7. I like the RTA's quite a bit as well, especially the RTA12.

Lots of choices out there, just depends on your tastes.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2004
    Options
    The RTA12 is the only RTA worth owning IMO.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2004
    Options
    My favorite speakers are listed in order:

SDA-SRS
    SDA 1.2
    SRT
    SDA 1C
    SDA CRS
    SDA 2.3
    LSi7

Polk makes other speakers? :D
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    The RTA12 is the only RTA worth owning IMO.

R U keeping my pair warm at night??? Yes, I mean the speakers you sicko.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I've replaced all the polyfill inside with dirty underwear and socks because someone said that it would sound better....and I believe everything I read.
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I have my SRS and 1Cs in different rooms, with different amps and sources, but sometimes I think I like the 1C better than the SRS for music. Then sometimes it's the opposite. In other words, as different as they are, they're both excellent.

From top to bottom based on my experience:

SDA SRS
    SDA 1C

(big drop)

SDA 2B
    Monitor 10
    Monitor 7

(another drop)

RTA 15TL
    Monitor 5B

(yet another big drop)

RTA 12C
    RTA 11T
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Wow, wheres the love for the RTA's. I must disagree with the Honorable Doro on the RTA's. I have owned every monitor speaker, except the 7's and all of the RTA speakers except the RTA8TL (I owned the RTA8t's)and the RTA12's. I have also owned the SDA2B's and would rank as follows:

RTA15TL
    RTA11TL
    Monitor 12
    SDA2B
    RTA11T
    RTA8T
    Monitor 10
    Monitor 5 ( I really enjoyed these for the size)

I have head Jesse's SDA's and they would definitely beat the 15TL's. I thought the 15's imaged better than the 2B's.

I currently have the RT3000P's and prefer those over any of the above listed speakers (Except the BIG SDA"S)

I really miss my 15TL's!!
  • krimney
    krimney Posts: 44
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I have a set of mon 10, RTA 11 and RTA12c. You can listen to all 3 and take your pick:D

BTW, I'm in Western Canada...
    So many speakers, so little time..
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I`ll let you know in a minute...

I gotta go put some dirty draws in em`...

:D
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • mlong
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Hey Everybody:

Thanks for the great responses. They were very helpful.

While one of the respondents ridiculed my question by suggesting that he put his dirty underwear in his (implying, I suppose, that it was stupid for me to rely on other people's opinions), it makes a lot of sense to me to hear the opinions of Polk fans, especially considering that there is no showroom to go and listen to the vintage models.

I live in maryland and was hoping that I might be able to visit the PolkAudio facility to maybe pick up a deals but got some good ones on Ebay. I bought a pair of Monitor 7's (came today) and a pair of SDA-II's (coming in a few hours) and am looking at a couple of Monitor 10's. Now my problem is ... so many great speakers, so little room.

Anyway, here's to becoming a new Polkie.... Cheers and Thanks!

Mark
    [HOME THEATRE]
    Samsung LED HDTV - Pioneer VSX-1014TX (AVR) - Parasound HCA-1200 II - Philips DVP642 (DVD)
    Polk Monitor 10B (Side Surround) - Bang & Olufsen P45 (Rear Surround) - Polk CSi30 (Center Channel)
    SVS PB12-ISD/2 (Sub)
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I will presume you mean me, and it wasn't ridicule, it was an attempt at humor, and not directed at you at all in this thread. If that's how you wish to take it, well, I can't stop you.

Have fun with your new Polk's.

And by the way, the Polk facility isn't a warehouse for buying speakers, it's a business office.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Well since nobody mentioned them ...

After the SDA's ... LS90's ...
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Agree that the LS's deserve mention here... and then some. Walter's 90's were an eye opener for me at TX PF II. While I've not heard the other LS models, I'd bet the 70's are no slouch either.

But as has been more or less said above, the SDA's are Polk's jaw-droppers (which one ups eye-openers... OK, maybe two ups 'em... ;) ).

Which SDA's??? The SRS's, pretty much in order of size and the bigger the better. Although, truth be told, with a little more amp muscle even the "lowly" 3.1's can compete with the big boys. The CRS's are noteworthy. Properly set up, they still amaze me for their size. The other non-SRS SDA's can fall in line behind the CRS's...

Monitors? I may be biased a bit by their historical value, but I'd put them "around" the LS's. The original Monitors with the Peerless tweeter are great speakers, and IMO, the ones to own. Of the Monitor line the 7's are probably my favorite. I really like the 10's as well, but starting with them their musicality starts to be traded for muscle. Somewhere around the 10's is where the LS's would slip in.

The Mon 5's aren't bad, but start getting a little lightweight, and this only continues through the 5 Jr.'s, 4.5's, 4's, etc... The 4's would be servicable as surrounds.

As for the RTA's.... I agree on the 12's. Whereas all the other RTA's I've heard have left me cold, the 12's have at least gotten me to lukewarm... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mlong
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Well, I took your advice and I bought them all! Well, almost.

After your great advice and suggestion, I have bought a ton of speakers.

In December, I had only a pair of Bose 301's and the speakers that came with my Sony HT system. Well, in December I got tired of listening to blah sounds from my ho-hum stereo system. I bought the following.

Pioneer VSX-1014TX HT system

Bose Acoustimas 5 Satelites
    Bose 601 pair
    Bose 501 Vintage pair
    Bose VCS-10 Center Channel

(I can hear the collective groan)

Bang & Olufsen r.62 pair
    Bang & Olufsen p45 pair

Ok, so then I asked in this thread for suggestions on some Polks. After the enlightenment, I began in pursuit of some Monitor 10b's. After losing six auctions, I turned my sights on some SDA's (per f1Nut's recommendation). I purchased a pair from a guy in Utah, hooked them up and fell in love, sitting in my rec room just listening to my old music with a totally new, clear sound. I decided to grab some Monitor 7's to swap out for the Bose 501's in my bedroom. The day I got those I saw a Polk Audio 550 subwoofer up for auction, which I won and hooked up. Life was good.

Just as I started to setlle in wih my new setup, I saw that Dorokusai was selling his Monitor 10b's and I VERY quickly snatched those up. Unfortunately, when I went to pick them up, he and f1Nut were waiting for me with mischevious looks on their faces. Doro gave me a 2 channel demo with F1's Amp and then he gave me a demo of his home theater. He played the Finding Nemo DVD in the scene where Darla taps on the aquarium. Without warning me, he grinned as I was moved out of my seat by the booming thump of his SVS PB12-ISD-2 subwoofer. I am a big man so believe me, it is hard to move me but I swear the couch shook. My only thought as he put in U-571 with the depth charge scene was "I need to get that... I need to get that...need to get that..."

Long story short, I was on the horn with SVS and ordered the same subwoofer. Two days later, Doro calls me and I ended up buying a pair of his SDA 2A's which I picked up the same day that the SVS subwoofer arrived, all 115 lbs. of it. After picking up the SDA 2A's from Doro, I get the heads up that GSHisMe is selling his CSi30 Center channel speaker, so I bought that. GSHisMe was kind enough to drive it down to me this morning so while he was here I gave him a demo of my HT setup. As I demoed the SVS sub, he just smiled as the sound rumbled around him.

So... in a mere forty days, I have done of lot of buying. My final setup is as follows:

In my rec room, for Home Theater

Pioneer VSX-1014tx AVR
    Polk SDA 2's for fronts, Monitor 10b's for side surrounds, CSI30 for center channel, and Bang & Olufsen r.62's for back surrounds. Oh yeah, I also bought a Samsung HDTV to which I hooked Comcast Digital HDTV yesterday.

In my bedroom:

Karman Kardon HK3470 Receiver
    Bose Acoustimass 5 Satelites and sub
    SDA 2A's

Upstairs, I have moved the Bose Vintage 501 and the Monitor 7's which I will choose between when I decide to put a receiver upstairs. The Bang and Olufsen p45's will be hung in the garage this Spring to supply music while I work on projects and I will buy a pair of Polk Atrium speakers to put on the hill in my backyard. I will thus be selling my Sony HT setup, the Bose 301's, the Bose 601's and the Polk 550 Sub.

So, thanks for your help and suggestions. You have helped to create a monster. For a while, at least, I am finished and am thoroughly enjoying my new audio paradise.

Thanks again,

Mark
    [HOME THEATRE]
    SVS PB12-ISD/2 (Sub)
  • F1nut
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Mark,

It was good to meet you and share a little of this crazy hobby of ours. You put together a nice set up in a hurry. :)

Just to clear up one thing, that was Mark's amp, but my pre amp.

Oh yeah, that sofa really does shake doesn't it...LOL.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Mark,
    Nice write-up. Congrats on your buys... well, most of them... :D

Your encounter with two of the Club's finest has set you on the path....

My money is on the 7's over the 501's. Consider a nice set of separates to run your 2-ch, but then considering your "encounter" you may be doing this already...

Enjoy.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Well, I guess my RTi series don't hold squat. Perhaps it's time to look at the Proac world again.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2005
    Options
    jm,
    Don't do anything rash.

Note that most of the list are vintage Polks. Just a turn the thread took for the get-go, what with so many SDA crazies, including moi, 'round here.

Of the "modern" lines I for one like the RTi's, especially the 10's. While I am in a distinct minority, I even slightly prefer them over the LSi's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• mlong
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thanks Tour2Ma.

JM, sorry... Not dissin' your RTI's. I just cannot allow myself to look at, listen to or think about any more speakers. I don't trust myself anymore.

Mark:)
    [HOME THEATRE]
    SVS PB12-ISD/2 (Sub)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited January 2005
    Options
    The RT25i and the RT55i need to be somewhere in the mix. Two of the better speakers of the last 7 or 8 years IMO. Of course I am biased since I own them both. :D
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Mlong? Who is that, I will admit in no way shape or form to him becoming infected with the "bug" as he was completely consumed when I met him.

Anyways, it happens when it happens. It was a pleasure to meet Mark but I still wish he had less questions so that I could have given him a decent 2CH demo....it seems that it was enough, haha, just kidding Mark, I know you had alot to ask.

It's always nice to see another individual passionate about audio, and what it all means. It's also very nice to pass along some gems, to someone who is passionate about audio. I don't like to sell things, much to my wife's dismay, but when they go to someone, such as Mlong, who is fully into the "family" approach, and mindset, well that goes a long way in my book.

You'd be suprised how much stuff goes on in between the ranks around here....as I've been a receipient and a delivery man.

This is a great place, with great members.

There is an air of satisfaction that one takes when responsible for a $1000.00 SVS expenditure....ah, if they only gave commission....hmmmm

Long live SDA!....oh....sorry, I had an episode....(bangs head against wall)....ah, all better.

Tour - I also like the new RTi line, but I'm solid with what I have in the HT now....older RTi line, and it's just HT, so why change something that works. You are not in the minority.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2005
    Options
    RTA12?

Anybody have any pictures or greater details?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dorokusai
    edited January 2005
    Options
    You might try straining your finger and looking in the system showcase.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    You might try straining your finger and looking in the system showcase.

Well Ok I did strain just a little and look at the Polk Vintage line up, didn't find anything so I posted here.

Sorry Sorry Sorry :o

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer