Packing a turntable

I’ve noted in the past some examples of fine packing jobs for turntables. Here’s an example of a professional packing job by Halo on a Technics QL-S2.

nz3eyufdvono.jpeg
67j17oqvdikx.jpeg
0zahz8qrg3fi.jpeg

As can be seen, there is insulation board lining the box. The dustcover in separate box.

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Putting egg cartons inside the dust cover was an effective touch for extra protection

zxbz82472819.jpeg
    azaaacadlhjj.jpeg
  • dromunds
    Under the separate box for the dustcover, the turntable was sufficiently wrapped in layers of bubble wrap. Of course, the platter was taken off and boxed separately under the turntable

cm72x8ps57kc.jpeg
    ktgr4jlhqe90.jpeg
  • dromunds
    Sorry pics a bit out of order but you get the picture. Lol
  • dromunds
    Of course, the arm was securely tied with a twisty in addition to its armlock. Headshell and other incidentals were also packed in a separate little box.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Awesome that he sends 4 dozen eggs with your purchase. Bonus.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dromunds
    Here's another example that I’ve noted in the past of a pro job by F1Nut packing a turntable.

Again, insulation board lining the box, cut precisely. Turntable wrapped well with layers of bubble wrap. Arm securely tied with twisty tie in addition to armlock. Arm weight, various other incidentals removed and packed separately.

b5v9hcmcp676.jpeg
    czwaaydgxgj6.jpeg
    abj6o6bcx8h4.jpeg
  • dromunds
    Under the well-wrapped turntable the removed platter was embedded in hard insulation and well wrapped.

3eu6gy5ikm11.jpeg
    lijj541q9tlc2.jpeg
  • dromunds
    No way any eggs are gonna break - or any clowns are gonna damage your turntable during shipping when packed well.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited March 2019
    steveinaz wrote: »

Jumbos too

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2019

This is how some folks on ebay do it. :o

oq7050w6ze2b.png

1px6hl9shhys.png

yg11dq03i2b8.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dromunds
    Exactly! I had a TT shipped like that some years ago. I had been assured they had shipped many turntables and they knew how to pack a turntable. Then I get it and they hadn’t even removed the platter, the arm is not tied and it’s just dumped in the box with a bunch of foam peanuts.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Hey Don,

Glad it arrived to you safely. It takes a lot of effort and a little added expense to make sure it is as safe as I can make it while in transit. The end result speaks for itself. The turntable is secure and there is minimal room for error. No one wants to buy a device only to have it destroyed during shipping. Follow the golden rule and try to treat others as you'd like to be treated. That way, you know you did your best and you will receive treatment in kind from the people with whom you deal. It's one of those things that make the Polk Forum a special place. If I ever buy from Don, I know he'll go the extra mile to make sure I get my items in a safe and secure manner. For those that don't know, this is what they call bomb-proof packaging people. lol.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

Especially with Easter just around the corner 😁
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127

Especially with Easter just around the corner 😁

And that's no yolk!!

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I really appreciate a good packing job. It's just an extra piece of the experience, and gives you a sense of what kind of owner the previous person was, which also adds to the experience, knowing it came from a caring environment.

I had one of the Ebay catastrophes too. Comical now, but I was really annoyed at the time. There are some real maroons out there. And yes, my favorite are the ones who get all uppity and defensive when I ask simply how they plan to pack. That's my cue - sssee-yaaah!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited March 2019
    Attaboy, Victor!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I agree on the packing... that should be the very first question a seller asks themselves before they list something, "can I pack this thing so it makes even a rough trip unscathed, and am I willing to take the time to do it the right way."

If the answer to either is "no", then sell local only or give it to a charity center.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    This is how some folks on ebay do it. :o
    s9vxdzn7bvxy.png
    Amateurs. Clearly not enough shredded paper.

I disabled signatures.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Did you get any double yolks? :D
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.