PS Audio Sprout

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 2,987
This is the original version with fewer features than the current Sprout100, but the price of these older units should continue to drop, so keep your eyes open for a bargain.

I've had my eye on these little units for quite awhile, and finally popped on one.
0ctdlixzssqc.jpg
46jghup218fc.jpg
Basically, this is a mini integrated amp with analog, DAC, and MM Phono input...also has BlueTooth for streaming from smartphone or tablet. Speaker output is 33WPC>8 ohms, and 50WPC>4 ohms...also has a big headphone socket.

Tonight, I paired it via BT with my smartphone, and started it driving a pair of Baby Advent II speakers...for what it was - a great combination spilling lots of detail. Then I pulled-out a pair of KLH Model Twenty speakers, which are actually 4 ohm speakers.
tbwwj9wxaa8c.jpg
No problem whatsoever making these vintage guys sing :)

For a small space, or for testing speakers and turntables, this little guy is QUITE handy!
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    How very cool - I would be very curious how well the DAC sounded
    would be a great bedroom setup all in one
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I had one for a while and really enjoyed it. Great versatility for such a small box. I've been looked for one ever since I sold it... :(
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • jdjohn
    Yeah, I can see this guy getting a lot of varied use. I'm not much of a BlueTooth guy, but it was sure handy last night using Spotify on my phone, going through the Sprout. And my wife brought home an old Toshiba turntable from her mom's, so I was able to quickly hook it up and test it through the Sprout. That sure beats lugging out an extra receiver, or swapping out of my main rig. And with the headphone jack, you don't even need to hookup speakers.

I kept an eye out on hifishark til I found one at a good price. Have to be patient, though. Some people are still trying to sell them for $400+, which IMO is too much.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    So cool.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Via headphones, I have been able to compare the Sprout's DAC with the PSA Stellar Gain Cell Pre/DAC. The SGCPD pre wins by a nose. They both retrieve an immense amount of detail, but the StellarGC is a hair quieter...blacker in the background. Again, this is via headphones. With speaker playback, the difference might be less noticeable, depending on one's auditory memory :)

For grins and giggles, I'll probably continue comparing the Sprout to various amps and phono-preamps. Oh wait, it can also be a line-level preamp...
  • jdjohn
    co9h9nef29ox.jpg
  • joecoulson
    That is a very impressive little piece of tech. I want one.
  • jdjohn
    gegj5qvhjd4j.jpg
    The only question is which one? First generation w/ max 50WPC, or newest Sprout100 w/ max 100WPC?
  • joecoulson
    Best comedy ever made ^
  • jdjohn
    Wait...I thought it was drama...
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    If it were me, @joecoulson or @jdjohn, I would get the latest model. Zero Fidelity gave it a very nice recommendation (and he disliked the original quite a bit).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    He probably got some cash on the second review.