705s Placement in Corners?!

imsjry
imsjry Posts: 120
edited March 2019 in Speakers
See pics for my current placement. I’m wondering if moving them to the corners would give bigger soundstage and fatten out the bass a bit. It seems like corners are a big no no in general based on setups I’ve seen here, right? Thoughts?

Powering with Parasound 1200ii and a Yamaha CX1 Pre.

gc6jsyfyfh0t.jpeg
8aa4af0gqmju.jpeg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    ^ This ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    mrloren wrote: »
    I wouldn't put them in the corners. I would move the out to under the pictures and at least a foot off the wall. toe/point them in a bit too. I would also get a rug down, those hardwood floors will reflect sound a lot.

Good suggestions. The LSiMs can be toed in pretty aggressively or however sounds best at the seating area. Nice rack for the LPs, and good looking room!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2019
    I agree as well.

I think you should get some sliders and painters tape and move the speakers around. Mark the different spots, angles that you like the best and compare until you find the sweet spot. Moving toward the corners and rear wall will reinforce the bass. I seriously doubt you will like them in the corner but try it anyway so that you can learn what this sounds like. Also, pull the speakers waay out in the room and listen to learn what this sounds like.

Do this for a day then leave them in the best spot for a week of music listening. Then move them around to other locations and see what you like the best. The Soundstage and bass should improve. If the bass is still not enough then consider a sub or two. You can have the bass as loud or soft as you like then!

I had my speakers like yours for a long time. I finally got the room together so that I could push them outward and form an equilateral triangle with a slight toe-in to my listening position. After the change everything fell into place. The stage width, depth, bass, imaging, you name it. I like it so much that I almost don't need a center channel or rear surround speakers when watching movies and TV. With just two channels playing (My speakers have amplified woofers) voices are centered and high yet pan to the position on the screen. I hear effects that are wide and sound so diffused sometimes that I can't always tell where they are coming from. Also, the bass is the best since I've had these current speakers. its centered at times when it needs to be yet clean and punchy and better defined. The speakers sound great playing music. I prefer to have Audyssey turned on. I can't explain this but maybe its because these speakers have a natural flat frequency response and the room interaction is not so bad.

Placement can make a huge difference!

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Audyssey turned off for music and movies is how that should have read.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    I've tried the recommended angles 30 degrees 20 degrees. I found this made the sound stage very thin. The best results with the 705's for me is to have them toed in at about 5 degrees and 1-2 feet from the wall. This was the aha moment for me and everything started sounding great where I cannot place the source of the audio.

I have my speakers about 8 feet apart and sit 12 feet from them. Which isnt the 'ideal' listening triangle but I just don't have space to move them wider due to fire place and hallway setup. I shamefully purchased an App called Speaker Placement for iOS which lets you put your phone on the speaker and tells you the angle as you rotate it. :) I run Audyssey with Dynamic EQ on for movies. I play with it for music but that requires toggling the range based on content.
  • pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited March 2019
    My 705s sit 24'' fom the side walls (and something like 18'' from the front wall), and well, despite having down firing ports, it could sound better. Soundstage is fine, and so is clarity, but bass is boomier and not as tight as it could. Sadly, I can't deal around it, but I honestly wouldn't recommend placing the 705s near the corners unless it really sound better that way in your room.

Still, mrloren suggestion is great : Start from under the picture frames, and see how it goes, then experiment with toe-in as other posters said.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H
  • imsjry
    imsjry Posts: 120
    Thanks for all the suggestions all! Will be trying some placement this weekend. Unfortunately, the room is very short so pulling them out from the wall will make me and the couch about 5 feet from them which I think is way too close.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I'd rather have them closer to me than bouncing off the wall. Spread them apart a bit and move them forward with a slight toe in.

Get some kind of rug in there on that wood floor too. Right now you have sound bouncing and reflecting all over.

After moving everything and bass is still not what you want might be time to add an SVS "SB" series sub or an HSU ULS sealed sub
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    agreed ^^^^^

Also, if moving them a foot off the back wall puts them 5 ft from the couch, that means as is your listening at 6 feet.

Too close in my opinion for the sound to mature. Possibly the wrong speakers for that room. You might be better served with the 703's and a decent sub in that short room.

A throw rug too would help as mentioned. Hardwood floors are very reflective.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable